Sign in to follow this  
Daniel E.

Night lights for fish?

Ok so I have been think about if I should get a moon light for my tanks or not. So here are my questions.

1.) Do any of you have moon light or some form of night lighting for your tanks?

2.) What kind do you have if you do?

3.) What are the pros and cons of such a system?

4.) Does it have any affect of the fish health, activity, or color?

Thank you all that reads this for your time and input :)

I use moonlights on my tank in the evening so I can enjoy the tank while I'm up.

However I have live plants so my lights are on a timer to be on during day for plants but then have the moonlights just for me to be able to see the fish.

They actually seem to play more once the blue lights are on.

All lights go off at night while I'm sleeping.

Whites:

11am - 9 pm

Blues;

9 pm - midnight

All off:

Midnight - 11 am

This gives me 10 hours of light for plants

Ok so I have been think about if I should get a moon light for my tanks or not. So here are my questions.

1.) Do any of you have moon light or some form of night lighting for your tanks?

I had the blue LED moon lights, but returned after a couple of weeks.

I had the Marineland LEDs.

It's beautiful, and so much fun to see your fish swimming or doing whatever they do at night. The con was that the lights I had, I had to manually turn on and off the white/both/or blue lights. It's a hassle because I am lazy, and my lights are on a timer. :rofl

Supposedly, it does not, but I cannot convince myself. Instead of doing more research to see if it does or not, I returned the lights. See #3. :rofl

My tanks are also on a timer. There are 3 different "settings" on fixture. It goes like this:

1. Set 1 bulbs come on at 8a.

2. Set 2 bulbs come on at 11a. (All four bulbs on at once)

3. Set 1 bulbs go off at 6p.

4. Set 2 bulbs go off at 9p.

5. Moonlight leds come on at 9p.

6. Moonlight leds go off at 1a.

I think the fishies like the little bit of extra light and it so fun to watch them. And I think my pattern mimics the natural daylight.

Edited by ashlee18

I use moonlights on my tank in the evening so I can enjoy the tank while I'm up.

However I have live plants so my lights are on a timer to be on during day for plants but then have the moonlights just for me to be able to see the fish.

They actually seem to play more once the blue lights are on.

All lights go off at night while I'm sleeping.

Whites:

11am - 9 pm

Blues;

9 pm - midnight

All off:

Midnight - 11 am

This gives me 10 hours of light for plants

Thank you for the input :)

and "They actually seem to play more once the blue lights are on." this is interesting.

I had the blue LED moon lights, but returned after a couple of weeks.

I had the Marineland LEDs.

It's beautiful, and so much fun to see your fish swimming or doing whatever they do at night. The con was that the lights I had, I had to manually turn on and off the white/both/or blue lights. It's a hassle because I am lazy, and my lights are on a timer. :rofl

Supposedly, it does not, but I cannot convince myself. Instead of doing more research to see if it does or not, I returned the lights. See #3. :rofl

First off you Lazy?? I don't believe it.

Second thank you for your reply and addressing each point lol

My tanks are also on a timer. There are 3 different "settings" on fixture. It goes like this:

1. Set 1 bulbs come on at 8a.

2. Set 2 bulbs come on at 11a. (All four bulbs on at once)

3. Set 1 bulbs go off at 6p.

4. Set 2 bulbs go off at 9p.

5. Moonlight leds come on at 9p.

6. Moonlight leds go off at 1a.

I think the fishies like the little bit of extra light and it so fun to watch them. And I think my pattern mimics the natural daylight.

This sounds quite interesting. I like the idea. What kind of lights and timer do you have?

I am considering getting some for the winter. During the summer, we have light almost all night long and they wouldn't be of much use ;) Let me know what kind of lights you go for!

I wouldn't like sleeping under that sort of light, so I can't imagine fish would, either :P

But you can easily make your own similar one for under 20 bucks. Just buy some clip strip LED's off of ebay and secure it to a base. Some will even be stick-on, so you can secure it onto the light you use during the day.

I bought LEDs like these, but mine are multi-coloured ones. I didn't buy them for my tanks though, but it seems like something that would look cool

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-30-60-90-120CM-Car-Flexible-SMD-LED-Strip-Light-Blub-1210-Waterproof-/320921203247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item4ab864f22f&_uhb=1

tank lights come on when the outside natural light starts to fall, then the lights are on till about 2am, which is when i go to bed. i keep the blinds open in that room of a night time, so that my fish wake up with natural filtered daylight.

i like them to get as much rest as possible, they seem very relaxed throughout the day.. unlike myself :)

I have the same fixture as Ashlee18, and I also have the Marineland double bright LED's. I love the moonlight feature, though I don't leave it on at night; only to watch them, when I want to see the blue light.

When I upgrade, I'm getting the aquatic plant version, because the lights are just so stunning. :)

I used the marineland bubble led's in green for a while and left them on at night it didn't seem to bother the fish I still caught them napping ;) but I liked the look at night,i'm searching for the strip ones in blue currently ;)

I wouldn't like sleeping under that sort of light, so I can't imagine fish would, either :P

But you can easily make your own similar one for under 20 bucks. Just buy some clip strip LED's off of ebay and secure it to a base. Some will even be stick-on, so you can secure it onto the light you use during the day.

I bought LEDs like these, but mine are multi-coloured ones. I didn't buy them for my tanks though, but it seems like something that would look cool

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-30-60-90-120CM-Car-Flexible-SMD-LED-Strip-Light-Blub-1210-Waterproof-/320921203247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item4ab864f22f&_uhb=1

Thanks but I was wondering how much light do they put out? They look a little bright for what I wanted.

tank lights come on when the outside natural light starts to fall, then the lights are on till about 2am, which is when i go to bed. i keep the blinds open in that room of a night time, so that my fish wake up with natural filtered daylight.

i like them to get as much rest as possible, they seem very relaxed throughout the day.. unlike myself :)

Light don't come in the window of my room other than like 10 min 1 week out of the year... and that's no joke :(

I have the same fixture as Ashlee18, and I also have the Marineland double bright LED's. I love the moonlight feature, though I don't leave it on at night; only to watch them, when I want to see the blue light.

When I upgrade, I'm getting the aquatic plant version, because the lights are just so stunning. :)

I have to keep $$ in mind right now. But I think they are nice too lol

I used the marineland bubble led's in green for a while and left them on at night it didn't seem to bother the fish I still caught them napping ;) but I liked the look at night,i'm searching for the strip ones in blue currently ;)

I was thinking about this

but using these.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Flex-Aquarium-Bubble-21-Inch/dp/B009UVKGPO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1371479386&sr=8-6&keywords=bubble+led