EMERGENCY: Severe burn

• Supporter

here is how to syringe feed. this was my very first attempt, but notice how i do not block the gills and my grip is not tight at all. with your fish, as it is hurt on one side, you will rest his good side in your palm & use the other hand to feed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwTpEiMkZRU&feature=player_embedded

you may not need to syringe feed for a long time, sometimes after 2 or 3 days, their appetites open up and they take food naturally again.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

that tippy bit, is that soft? i am a little concerned that it won't work, purely from the fact that the nozzle might be too small and food won't pass through. i would not sever that syringe, it looks like it can be good for other applications like more fluidy things.. if that pointy tip is an attachment that can be removed, then yes, that syringe can be used.

His mouth is pretty tiny, so I was thinking the stiff tube might help things to get in there a little better. When the repashy is softened, it crumbles, so I'll test to see if it'll work. Otherwise I may need to make a run to the pharmacy, as the tip cannot be removed.

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

would you like to do a trial run (without fish) to demonstrate how easily food will pass through that tip? we don't want the food too runny as we won't be able to get anything solid into his belly.

Ugh... I may need to go to the pharmacy... it isn't wanting to work with the size you're describing. If I completely melt the repashy in the water it does work and there are particles of repashy there, but it's very very wet.

• Supporter

too wet might be a failed attempt :( we really need to be certain that the food will be ingested. if it's too fluidy, there is a risk that too much of it will pass through his gills if there is resistance.

Right. I'll have my mom grab one of the baby ones while she's at the pharmacy today. In the meantime, should I at least try to put a bloodworm or two in the tank to see if he's just not wanting the gel?

I managed to get him to eat one, but he just seemed to hold it in his mouth. He eventually could swallow and did, I think. I'm worried that this isn't so much of a problem of him not wanting to eat, but not being able to do so.

• Supporter

keep going, as many as he will take, one at a time, but, that will not be enough. you will need to get some good food into him.. so the repashy needs to be fed.

so dissolving it down to a paste is obviously the way to go.

I found a big syringe, and tried to feed him. He maybe got one piece down, then every time I let him chew he'd spit out the rest! His tank is a mess and he's not happy with me at all... how do I keep feeding him if he just spits it all up no matter what?

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

if it's pasty, some will actually be eaten.. small efforts at first for digestion, but eventually, he will eat more & more.

for now, you may want to give it a rest, since he's already eaten a bloodworm & some of the Repashy and then try again in a few hours. after 2 or 3 times, if the water really fouls up, do a partial wc, replenishing also the meds & salt.

• Supporter

to increase appetite, we increase heat, but given the nature of his injury, i feel increasing the heat at this very moment & for the next few days might be too soon for him. that's why we have metro in the water, so that it can be ingested without needing to feed it or if he rejects food. so for now, we're looking to just feed him anything he will eat so that he can stay strong and keep fighting through all of this :)

Alright.

He just looks like he's feeling so rotten. :( He gravitates to whatever corner is closest to me and moves when I do so he can be as close as possible. Clementine is actually showing signs of depression now that he's not in the tank with her. She was so worried when I got home and found him that when I freed him and began setting up the qt she stayed by him and even tried to help him get up a couple of times.

I think we'll all be glad when he can go back into the 55. :/

• Supporter

You can also feed him in a separate container :)

good suggestion Una, under normal circumstances.. but i feel that Elvis is in too much shock and with his severe injuries, to be moved around 3 or 4 times a day will be too stressful.

i think currently, it's best that handfeeding in the QT tank continues and that he's removed only the once a day for the WC.