EMERGENCY: Severe burn

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

He's not showing any interest in his food, so I'm going to attempt feeding again later. I tried hand-feeding, and he wasn't having anything to do with it. It's to be expected, I guess, with the injury.

hun, can you try squashing a clove of garlic and letting his next feed sit in it for a while? it might encourage him to eat... let me know how you go. keep checking the water params. are we at 0.2% salt yet? also, remember, the water is cooler now, so motabolism is slower.

• Supporter

Thank you, guys. This means so much to me that you're all rooting for us!

Here's this morning's video with some of my babbling, again!

th_CAM00075_zps2dd16c9a.jpg

he's looking a little better than i expected :) and i love how he moves on demand.. lol, mine do too :rofl

overall, at the moment, i am happy with the progress. baby steps from here on. you can if you like, change the water more frequently, just remember to keep matching temp, PH and replacing the salt to maintain level 0.2%.

We're at 0.2% salt right now.

I'll try in a bit with the garlic and see how he reacts.

Should I keep the metro in the water if I up the water changes? Or will feeding it be enough?

Also, what would be the best place for my heater in the main tank to avoid this accident in the future? I was vertical in the middle of the wall when this happened. Do you think placing it at an angle would prevent this from happening again?

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

We're at 0.2% salt right now.

I'll try in a bit with the garlic and see how he reacts.

Should I keep the metro in the water if I up the water changes? Or will feeding it be enough?

yes, sorry, i forgot to add the Metro to that list of reminders!.. bad me :(

thank you for checking :)

First of all my daughter Nova wanted me to tell you that she hopes your fishy feels better from the wound and not to worry cause the people at kokos know lots about helping fish :hug

You can make a cage out of plastic canvas to surround your heater and attach it to the glass wall with suction cups. With my betta tank, I don't clean the algae off the heater so that there is a buffer levels that is high in slime if he gets stuck (so far it's been working *knock on wood*)

Chelsea, fins crossed for a smooth recovery!

Also, as una said....I used the plastic canvas stuff for lilo and it worked well to keep her off the heater. It was super cheap and had 6 pieces in the pack I got. If your interested, I would be more than willing to send you some. I will never use it all. Just let me know :-)

First of all my daughter Nova wanted me to tell you that she hopes your fishy feels better from the wound and not to worry cause the people at kokos know lots about helping fish :hug

You can make a cage out of plastic canvas to surround your heater and attach it to the glass wall with suction cups. With my betta tank, I don't clean the algae off the heater so that there is a buffer levels that is high in slime if he gets stuck (so far it's been working *knock on wood*)

Give Nova a big hug from me and tell her "Thank you for being so sweet, and Elvis is also grateful to have such a sweet cheerleader!"

Chelsea, fins crossed for a smooth recovery!

Also, as una said....I used the plastic canvas stuff for lilo and it worked well to keep her off the heater. It was super cheap and had 6 pieces in the pack I got. If your interested, I would be more than willing to send you some. I will never use it all. Just let me know :-)

And thank you both for the suggestion to use the canvas!

Danielle I'd love if you'd be willing to share. I'm worried about how hot it is around Clementine, right now. If I knew it could burn them I'd have never put it in the tank!

:grouphug: Thank you guys so much for all of the support! You're really all extremely generous and I'm too grateful for words.

Looks like he's hanging in there! I found it so cute that he moved as you asked him to. :wub:

Still hoping for the best for you and Elvis! He's clearly a trooper. :heart

More metro, a new thermometer, and a bottle of stress coat acquired. Should I be using a full dose of stress coat each WC or should I ease him into it?

Is every twelve hours the schedule you would like me to follow for WCs for now?

Also, I tried to feed him again (no garlic, all we had was paste with added ingredients) and he tried to eat, but I think his mouth hurts. He spit it out and high-tailed it to the other end of the tank.

• Supporter

no, wc's every 24 hours. it don't want to disturb him too much. i feel he is in a lot of pain & shock.

if the food is too hard for him right now, try making it a little softer. it doesn't matter if it dissolves after a short time, as long as he is able to eat it. get a few offerings, heat it up in a small sauce pan & add a few drops of water to it. set it again. this should make it softer. if that works, great. if not, we will need to look at another method for feeding. he needs to eat, he needs to keep his strength up.

I'll see in the morning if he can eat it softer. Right now I don't want to disturb him at all since I just did his WC. Now I have 0.2% salt, 1 dose Prime, 200mg Metro, and 1 dose Stress Coat in the tank. I think the stress coat being added did something, since the white blister on his eye is falling off. I siphoned a fairly large amount of sloughed tissue, scales, etc. out of his tank during the WC. His wound looks alright, and appears a little more uniform at the edges. I hope that means most of what will fall off has done so already. It's pretty extensive damage. I'll be able to get a better picture in the morning for you.

He's no longer vertical. He's breathing a little bit heavily. Both fish are, so it may be the weather. We had a bad storm and storms sometimes cause them to breathe heavy for awhile. At first I was worried he'd lost swim bladder function. I'm still not sure he has 100%. But there is a possibility he still might and that the swim bladder is just over the shock now.

I managed to get a couple detailed photos of his wounds this morning. Apparently my phone appreciates me today.

CAM00079_zps2e9d8bc8.jpg

CAM00081_zpsbf0c60f4.jpg

Always, pardon my babbling in the video. :)

th_CAM00083_zpsd73f1a67.jpg

Those are good photos. I see the barometric pressure drop has caused him to sport some breeding stars. I also see heavy breathing and laboured behavior in my fish at the start of a storm.

What to update us on the meds and food intake?

I just attempted. No desire to eat. I'd get it in his mouth, he'd try, then spit it right out.

E. I had planned to feed clementine some bloodworms this morning. Should I see if he would eat a couple to get his appetite going?

Edited by ChelseaM

How long is it in his mouth. The main thing is that if the mouth closes around the food, not all of it is spit out.

I syringed med food in bruces mouth and he spat out a lot but his mouth closed around it so I knew that he was getting SOME of the food.

• Supporter

lets not worry about his swim bladder for now, because damage to swim bladder is permanant. so, we also need to remember that he's lost a good portion of weight on one side and that too can be enough to cause wonky swimming. add shock & pain to that and we are still travelling on a bumpy road to which, it is still very possible that this can go either way.

our main concern now is to keep changing the water, replenishing salt and meds to which you're doing an excellent job :)

top priority now is to get him to eat. so, we are going to have to look at syringe feeding. do you have a syringe available or can you get a hold of one sometime soon(ish)?

i will get my video out of how to prepare the food for syringe feeding in a minute. it's not the best vid, but it's better than nothing.