EMERGENCY: Severe burn

• Supporter

ok hun :heart

expect that he's going to look a lot worse before he gets better. the dead bits do need to fall off, meaning the dead flesh, meat & fins that were severely burnt. so expect some horrific looking wounds for a while.

i am very happy that you took that vid. whilst i was typing my questions before, thoughts of 'oh, i wish she'd video'd that' were running through my mind. so, excellent decision to film :)

now that i have seen the site a little clearer, i can see some blood clotting (as it should be), i think it's wise that we add some Metronidazole to the water. can you add 200grams of Metronidazole to the water?, as well as make up some medicated gelfood with the Metro. 1gram for every 100 grams of food. you can use repashy, or you can make some gelfood from peas, spinach & zucchini.

----more to come----

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

after the first 12 hours is up, we're going to do a nice big water change. i would like you to handle him like this. find a nice size transparent tub and gently get him in there, raise the tub to the surface and lift using both hands. place the tub on a bench that the tank is not on (to avoid vibrations).

do a 100% wc on the qt tank. add 20 teaspoons of dissolved salt & 200 grams of Metronidazole. check your Metro stock, this treatment will continue until the wound is almost healed and that could take some time. you may need to order more so that we do not run out.

don't worry so much about the wen, that has potential to grow back.

right. 4:30am here now, i will need to get to bed. follow treatment instructions & just keep a good eye on him. report back anything, anytime you need to, i might be gone, but we're all here to help you. & hun, i am really sorry this happened to Elvis, i have my fingers crossed for his speedy recovery :heart

good luck :hugi'll check back in a few hours :)

:hug Thank you so much. Get some good sleep. :heart

He weighs 26g right now.

I have about three grams of metro left, so I hope that will last awhile. It is available at my lfs, so I can get it as soon as I need it.

And thank you everyone for the well wishes. I'm not nearly as much of a wreck knowing you all are behind us. I'm sure Elvis would be happy to know you all are rooting for him!

I read 1g meds per 100g food... :hide:

I hope my math is right! :hide:
Oh, now I see mg! I freaked out for a second there. :peeka

I'm rooting for you both! :)

I think the salt hurts a little. I took some water from his tank and dissolved the salt, then I tried to pour it on the other side of the tank. Elvis swam over to check it out, just like he always does when he's healthy. He stunned himself for a moment by swimming directly into the cloud, but is back swimming again. The white on his eye has now formed a raised white blister, so hopefully he didn't lose function of the eye and the cornea will heal. The flesh is still trying to come off, and I can see his veins now a bit. There is no bleeding, thank goodness. Around 1:30am I'll do the instructed 100% water change. I also added the heater, set to 65 degrees.

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

how is he (my) today? good morning :D

yes, the food is correct :) you can begin feeding him the gelfood.

expect that he's going to look really bad for some time. my betta looked like the borg for a few months. thankfully, he did not lose his eye.

i will tell you this, the eyeball of Elvis does look cooked. but that's no issue because goldfish live well with no sight & he has his other eye to his advantage :)

This morning he does look a bit worse for wear, but only aesthetically. He's very much enjoying the new water. He's still mostly vertical, which makes me wonder if his swim bladder is indeed damaged. That concerns me because he lives in a 21 inch deep aquarium normally. His swimming has improved tremendously, and he can actually zoom around pretty close to 'his normal' now. He still comes up for air frequently, despite the stone.

I broke the thermometer this morning, too... so that and more metro will be gotten sometime during the waking hours, hopefully. Should stress coat also be on my shopping list? Apparently my hands are good temperature testers, though, because the heater is telling me we're at a perfect 65 degrees.

How much should I be feeding daily? About 1/3 gram spread out over the day?

CAM00070_zps48459221.jpg

CAM00069_zps87889e1c.jpg

CAM00066_zps43898c5f.jpg

th_CAM00068_zps2320fd3f.jpg

Pardon my tiredness! I'll be headed back to bed for a few more hours and report again when I get up.

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

well, it's still looking quite good :) and remember, injuries healing show white, so the whiter it gets, (as long as it's not cottony/fluffy white), it's a good sign. the dead bits will continue to fall off as they need to and healing will begin from the inner side :)

do not be alarmed if he begins to pinecone. we're treating him with everything to already combat that, should it occur.

this still has potential to turn bad, we need to remain calm & focused.

don't worry for how he's positioning himself in the tank at the moment. it may take him a good few weeks to get over the shock of what has happened.

overall, you're doing a fantastic job, good work :heart

This morning the blister has doubled on his eye, so now there are two blisters. He keeps hitting them on the glass, like he wants rid of them. I'm seeing him attempt to use his gimpy, burned fin as well when he wants to find a different place to rest.

He's trying to be himself, but gets tired even more easy than normal. I didn't expect him to be as 'normal' as he is so quickly, though. His personality is showing in full even with the gravity of the situation. (even if he's not really aware that he could die, I'm sure he feels the sensory input of pain.) I thoroughly expected to wake up to a fish that looked 100% dead. I'm going to weigh out his food here in a moment. Is there anything I should be giving as a protein source with the Super Green, even though it's got metro in it? Or can that be taken slow as well?

I'd give video, but he's not really 100% awake right now. It always takes him a bit to wake up in the morning.

Do you know if his scales will ever grow back? Did your betta's, Helen? Does him not having scales there mean anything in regards to having future prazi treatments?

Thank you guys so much for helping us.

• Supporter

this is going to be a very long road to recovery and every day will be a challenge for at least the next few weeks & possibly more. ie, i don't believe that we're on a short 14 day med course.. i believe, due to the extent of his injuries, that we're going to have to go the full 30 days. he's lost flesh almost down to his spine. it's understandable.

my betta's gill plate burned off and suffered burns to his actual gill as well as the exterior of his eye. he lost no scales. only the gill plate. he lost some of his tail, but that is slowly growing back. the burn is very deep and you can see the shiny part of his skull. that will remain like that. the eye has finally returned back to size and he no longer looks like The Borg. now, he just looks like a normal betta with a missing gill plate.

i learned through my bettas ordeal. Narny taught me this. fish are fine to survive off one gill. Alex (dnalex) taught me, fish are fine to survive with one gill plate missing. so, i calmed down and just treated symptoms. which is what we're doing here with you & Elvis :)

some scales may or all may grow back, but there is also a good chance that they won't. tbh, i don't know how to answer you on the future Prazi treatments should the scales not grow back, but i will discuss this with the Mod team and see what information we can find & provide you.

it is always a very good sign that a fish displays mobility.. the want to get around, no matter how exhausting that is, i feel it's a step towards them rehabilitating themselves. if he was listless, i would be very concerned and probably recommending to euth. but i see fight in him & we will help his attempt to recover as best we can and taking it one day at a time :)

I understand. We're both ready for the bumpy road ahead, twists and turns included. In the few months that I've had Elvis, he has always shown himself to be a fighter no matter what was thrown at him. He has also shown himself to be extremely trusting of me. I can't let myself break that trust by not attempting to save his life when he needs it, no matter how grave the outcome seems to appear.

I'm going to learn a lot about patience and perseverance here among other things.

He's not showing any interest in his food, so I'm going to attempt feeding again later. I tried hand-feeding, and he wasn't having anything to do with it. It's to be expected, I guess, with the injury.