EMERGENCY: Severe burn

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:heart We've actually formed quite the bond since this started. He doesn't even get bothered by my hands at all anymore.

I removed him so I could do a 100%WC and scrub down, since I didn't feel I was getting all of the gunk during the ninety percent WCs. He was placed in a larger, opaque container for that time, and didn't seem stressed at all. I did use my hands to move him, since that was the easiest, gentlest way for me to get him from point a to point b with some support for his heavy tail. He just went limp and trusted me. No struggling, no upset, no injury. When I got done scrubbing, cleaning and filling he actually swam into my hand to be put back. He did the 'clean water dance' (I wish I filmed that!) before swimming into a corner to calm himself for about thirty seconds. He's chilling in the middle of the tank right now, watching me. :)

Tonight was good. And I feel so much better after scrubbing the tank down completely.

Helen, at this point would it be safe to raise the temperature to 72F? I'd like to get the food moving through him a bit more, so that he can really start metabolizing all of the nutrition he needs to build back those muscles. I'm also hoping it will get him more active so that he'll work the muscles he currently has and won't just waste away.

Chelsea, Elvis is looking great! I see so much progress and healing. You are amazing! Like Helen said, I did see him follow you with his eyes I just thought that was adorable!

Temperature slowly raising and he's had wormies and meds so far today. He's seeking comfort in the airstone (covered with sponge) a lot today. I think it's an 'I miss Clementine' day for him. He's responsive and is bouncy for food, which makes me think he's okay.

I'm worried that he'll be a sinker forever, but hoping that the issue is only his muscles being gone and that when they come back he'll be able to swim and regulate normally.

Edited by ChelseaM

Very happy to see his positive progress!

Sorry for the hi-jack Chelsea, but jmetzger72, I want to just steal your fish. They are gorgeous!

Very happy to see his positive progress!

Sorry for the hi-jack Chelsea, but jmetzger72, I want to just steal your fish. They are gorgeous!

Thanks, Mikey. I'm just glad they are all too fat to get stuck behind my heater. This was sooo upsetting to hear about :yikes

He's actually pretty active and happy this morning. The 100%WCs have definitely been helping.

Thanks, Mikey. I'm just glad they are all too fat to get stuck behind my heater. This was sooo upsetting to hear about :yikes

The thing is: he should not have fit there at all! :yikes You can't tell from the photos, though.