EMERGENCY: Severe burn

***Warning, before proceeing to read, please note: this is a serious injury & pictures as well as videos posted are very graphic***

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) Q:0, M:0

* Nitrite Level(Tank)Q:0, M:0

* Nitrate level(Tank) Q: 0 M:<5

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4-7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.6

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? Q:78 M:76

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Q: 10, M:55

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Q: none M: DIY canister, 265GPH pump

* How often do you change the water and how much? 70-90% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yestersay, 100%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 5" and 3"

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime and Flourish

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 3-5x daily, varied diet w/progold staple

* Any new fish added to the tank? no

* Any medications added to the tank? no

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

prazi two months ago.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Severe burns

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? lethargic and listless

Edited by Helen
added **Warning**

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

hun, where did the burns come from? and you're giving us QT info & Main tank info.. if you could explain why?, that would be great. also some pics & vid if you can :)

for burns of any sort, we will need to see the severity of them.. they may just need daily wc's but if they are very bad, we may need to advise antibiotics.

He was stuck in between the heater and wall and couldn't move. He somehow wedged himself in there. I don't know for how long.

I gave info for both because I just put him in qt a couple minutes ago.

The pics and video are uploading right now.

The burns are horrific and cover almost the whole side of him...

• Supporter

my betta suffered the exact same injury months ago.. he almost lost his eye, he lost a gill plate, but he's bounced back like a trooper!.. i will wait the video & pictures so we can see how badly the burns are.

CAM00063_zps7658c116.jpg

CAM00062_zps2c99ef8e.jpg

th_CAM00064_zps4909bf57.jpg

The burn is really deep. Sorry for the video and photo quality, they were taken with my phone. And sorry for the negative babbling I am just in shock.

He seems to really want to get to the surface right now. He won't relax. And his skin is starting to slough off in the burned area.

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

ok sweetie, i feel your pain & yes, elvis looks very bad. but, lets take this slowly, ok? :hug

if he's not in a lot of pain, then he's in a lot of shock.

what i would like you to do first, is switch that heater off. i would expect, like a burn to humans, added heat will assist the burn in continuing to cause pain, so we run for soothers. so, lets turn the heater off and allow the tank water temp to drop slowly and naturally.

next, i would like you to add a very gentle airwand to the tank. so that it's nice & comfortable for him & not causing too great a current.

next, i would like you to dissolve the right amount of salt to bring the tank to 0.05% salted.

lets get that happening nice and easy for him first, and we'll see what we can do. :heart

I'm headed to the LPS right now to get an air stone because all I have is a huge wand.

I have salt, metro powder, Epsom, and petroleum jelly handy.

He keeps trying to stay at the surface to breathe the air. Should I do something to either lower the water level or create a place where he can rest near the surface?

Edit: .05% for a 10 gallon tank is how many teaspoons?

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

I'm headed to the LPS right now to get an air stone because all I have is a huge wand.

He keeps trying to stay at the surface to breathe the air. Should I do something to either lower the water level or create a place where he can rest near the surface?

hey, stop right there girlie :)

you can use the huge wand. just pinch the airline tubing with a paperclip to reduce the flow of the air to a more comfortable rate. add that now, he seems to need it most. we'll discuss meds after you've done that. i do feel he will need them :heart

My heart sank when I saw this topic.

You're in great hands, stay strong! :hug

Edited by Chai

hey, stop right there girlie :)

you can use the huge wand. just pinch the airline tubing with a paperclip to reduce the flow of the air to a more comfortable rate. add that now, he seems to need it most. we'll discuss meds after you've done that. i do feel he will need them :heart

It's too big to fit in his tank or I would. :( I'll be back in a few minutes, our lps is very close by.

Tiny airstone in and running very gently. I removed the heater and am dissolving the salt as I type.

He immediately went over to the stone and propped himself between the wall and the loose tubing. Bubbles have always been his favorite thing...

E: Salt is ready to add whenever you say.

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

good, he's seaking comfort :)

i will not lie, this is a very deep & severe burn. the fact that there is no blood & nothing oozing is a very good sign. however, being a burn, we are not sure what this has done internally. where the burns are, there are vital organs & the swim bladder. so, we will remain optimistic do everything very slowly so that he is not disturbed too much.

i would like to see you increase the salt to 0.1% in the next 4 hours. so, we are or have added 5 teaspoons now. in the next 4 hours, i would like you to add another 5 teaspoons and hold it there until 12 hours have passed from the first addition of salt.

just before the 12 hours are up, i would like you to post back with pics of the burn, as clear as you can get them. we will assess for meds once we see the pics.

answer me this. without a heater, how cold is this tank likely to get?

• Supporter

** also, when he went to the stone, what was his swimming like? did he sorta hop over or did he actually swim? if he swam, did he show signs of tilting left or right? nose up or nose down? or was his swimming normal?

The salt is in. I'll set alarms and adhere to them like glue.

The tank could get as low as 60 degrees fahrenheit, I believe. My tanks are in the basement. The QT is on my bedside table where he won't be disturbed.

Could the constant need to breathe at the surface be indicative of damage to his swim bladder?

Edit: He is mostly stuck vertical, due to the weight of his tail. He definitely tilts to the left more than usual, almost to the point of being horizontal. (His gimpy fin is on the burned side and has always given him a slight left tilt.) His swimming appears more jerky than normal, but he's able to do it, with his left fin always pointed down. I noticed, too, that he has lost a large chunk (2-3 rays wide) out of his tail. There is a lot more gunk in the water now, and just since putting him in qt the wound appears to be melting a bit.

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

ok i think a comfortable temp to drop is to 65F. so when you see it getting there, that's when you will need to use the heater. does it have a setting for 65F?

i would say that the breathing for now is probably a little bit of pain and a whole lot of shock. that white eye, was it always white? or did that happen with this incident?

Alright. I'll put the heater in when it gets close.

The white eye is a part of the injury. The wen around it is burned, too. It's also looking smushed into his head compared to his other eye.

The more I watch him the more I see his lack of balance. I have a feeling he'd be at the surface floating if it weren't for his tail.

I know you didn't ask yet but here's a video of his behavior and the deterioration of his wound. The flesh seems to be peeling away now.

th_CAM00065_zpsa4e1e332.jpg

Edited by ChelseaM