Sign in to follow this  
Rebecca Hampshire

how do you prepare green beans?

I like to supplement my babies diet with green beans every couple of days, this is really helping Hercules as he sometimes struggles with floatiness. :)

I nuke the green beans in the microwave for 30 seconds then I use scissors to snip them in to pieces. Now I have baby fish, I am a little worried about the size of the pieces I cut as the two babies have tiny mouths. So I spend ages cutting the beans in to manageable pieces. Is there an easier way to do this?

Also I should add, I feed the fish the full green bean, not just the beans from the inside. They love them, I hope this is o.k. ;)

I think this is a great topic, because everytime I tried the whole bean, they always made a mess out of it. :rofl

I've seen some people mash it and then mix it with a little water for fry, so it's like a cloud of green happiness :D

But you might be able to semi mash it with your fingers, since it will be relatively easy for them to break off that way. That's what I have done with my betta when feeding peas in the past and it worked well

:thumbs: Thanks Alex!

I don't think I will have this problem for long because the babies are growing like weeds! :)

I hope your fry are growing well! I should try using fresh greenbeans. Ive always used unsalted canned greenbeans. But I take the little seed out of the middles.

I use frozen green beans, microwave in water for about 3 minutes to get the skin softer because like you, I feed the whole bean too and it causes less floatiness than peas. Fresh Zuchini is really good too for little ones (as well as water softened seaweed pieces) as its super soft after you microwave it and won't cause any floatiness. With the zuchini I just cut off the skin, slice off a chunk, cut pieces off around the inner seed area and microwave those chunks for a minute to 90 seconds. After that I cut with a knife but because its softer its easier to get little soft pieces out of it. Also, the seaweed once soaked a little is super soft and you can give little bits of that. Just some additional suggestions :)

I actually use canned french-cut green beans, all the tough seeds are removed and they are super easy to eat for my fish :) Nice and soft, and no prep. I just open a can and use one of those can-toppers to keep it fresh that is used for other pet foods. In the fridge it goes!

I use frozen green beans (nuked for about 30 seconds) cooled then cut up into tiny little pieces,or unsalted cans (when I can't find any frozen) also cut up into tiny little pieces ;)

My Betta's also enjoy them too :)

I got fresh green beans, boiled them for a good few minutes, then dried and froze them. When I want to feed them I take one out, chop it in small pieces while it's still frozen, and just defrost it in hot water for a half a minute before tossing it in.