PH: 7.5

Tank: 45 gallons

2 fishes

Filter: Eheim 2213

Water temp: 21° C

1/3 water change each week

No recent medications

No Strange behaviour

Yesterday, i discovered a strange and a little bit scary thing on one of my fancies.

He has a kind of bump on left side, scales are a little bit raised on this bumped area.

The bump is just behind the left gill, exactly on the black area:

854755IMG0262.jpg

139026IMG0258.jpg

580143IMG0259.jpg

So, in your opinion: what could be this bump?

He shows no other signs: eats well, very activ. He can sometimes have stability issues just after eating but not a real SBD syndrom.

There is sometimes gas bubbles in his poops, could it be constipation?

Edited by King Poseidon

• Supporter

this could very well be a bacterial cyst. it is typically where we find them.. just under the lateral line and closer to the gill.. is anything visible from side on? i see that he's got beautiful solid colouring and it might be difficult to see anything from the side. have you noticed anything white like a pimple head etc?

• Supporter

in my experience, with bumps like what you see there & i will post you some examples of my fish Rocky. it's either a singe or multiple bacteria cysts. the good news is this, they will not affect your fish in any way. he will continue to be and display healthy :) there is no medicines required prior to the cyst bursting and the most you will need after, is some salt to help keep the burst site sterile. salt will also help to heal the wound :)

so for now, he's fine to be with the main community of fish, just keep an eye on the size of that area and qt if it looks like it's going to burst. the only reason why we need to qt when it bursts is because the puss that will come out is pasty and tank mates might think it's food.

there is also a chance that the bacteria cyst will be reabsorbed back into his body :)

i will post pics in about a half hour :)

• Supporter

you're welcome..

here is what the extreme looks like

poorrocky.jpg

now although this one is quite blurry, would you agree that your fish's body shape resembles this? (without the pineconed one side)

rocky-pineconing.jpg

and here is the pasty puss that comes out of a bacteria cyst... which is why when we think it/they're going to burst, we prefer them to be qt'd until the puss has finished oozing out & this can take half hour to a few days :) but the only time we salt is once the cyst has burst.

burstbump1.jpg

• Supporter

yes of course, i was only expecting you to relate to the second picture :)

so, for the time being, your fish can continue enjoying the company of his tank mates and only be in QT should the cyst appear to want to burst. rocky pineconed on that side only because she was a very small fish during this time, about 4.5" with tail, so her small body was unable to deal with the multiple cysts.

good luck & please post back with any updates :)

Good, KP. I think it's definitely a bacterial cyst, as Helen said.

These are like human pimples, and certain goldfish get them, just like some humans get pimples at certain phases. Be aware that Spartacus is likely to get more, but they will go away, although sometimes intervention seems like it might be necessary.

I'm just curious, what sort of access to meds do you have in France?

Ok.

Thanks again.

Let's hope he will make it.

His name is SPARTACUS, but i think she's a girl LOL.

For now, he behaves as if there was no issue. At least, it doesn't seem to bother him.

I'm Spartacus!!!!! :teehee

• Supporter

Ok.

Thanks again.

Let's hope he will make it.

His name is SPARTACUS, but i think she's a girl LOL.

For now, he behaves as if there was no issue. At least, it doesn't seem to bother him.

I'm Spartacus!!!!! :teehee

well, i hate to burst your bubble Phil.. but if it's a girl? then her name is Spartan... which suits me more, seeing as Spartan blood runs through my veins.. :rofl :rofl

In fact, poor.

Antibiotics are not allowed to be sold without prescription.

We are only allowed to buy acriflavine/malachit green/methylene blue/praziquantel stuff based.

you're welcome..

here is what the extreme looks like

poorrocky.jpg

now although this one is quite blurry, would you agree that your fish's body shape resembles this? (without the pineconed one side)

rocky-pineconing.jpg

and here is the pasty puss that comes out of a bacteria cyst... which is why when we think it/they're going to burst, we prefer them to be qt'd until the puss has finished oozing out & this can take half hour to a few days :) but the only time we salt is once the cyst has burst.

burstbump1.jpg

And thats my dinner finished... :doh11:

In fact, poor.

Antibiotics are not allowed to be sold without prescription.

We are only allowed to buy acriflavine/malachit green/methylene blue/praziquantel stuff based.

:yikes

Sometimes I think it's bad that way, but many times I actually think it's probably much better to limit access.

• Supporter

in AU, we're not allowed to move left without a prescription,. :rofl

You can move right, though. If you move right 3 times, it'll be a left. :o:rofl

that depends.. some ppl have two left feet.. two left doesn't always make a right :o:tomuch:

Hi Helen,

I think my fish has the same thing 2 x bumps on 1 side, one of these bumps looks like a pimple.

If it does burst what salt concentration should I be doing?

I really hope the other tank mates dont eat the puss. Thats gross ;(

Unfortunately i have no access to a hospital tank.

thanks for the fantastic info