What snail is this?

Iseul

Hi

I just bought a few neon tetras for my nano tropical tank and I seem to have got a "stowaway" small snail. Does anyone know what species of snail this is? (See image below)

stowawaysnail.jpg

Thanks

I have bunches of these snails! They aerate the sand, clean the roots of my plants, eat dead plant matter and clean off poo dropped overnight. (My substrate must be 60% sand and 40% snail, really!)

They're usually nocturnal and look dead during the day while sleeping but if you have sand or small gravel, they'll mostly sleep/clean inside your substrate. I'm really fond of these snails.

I've put it into one of my other tanks. I think the water parameters and temperature are ok for it. I can't find it anymore but it's probably among the gravel somewhere. I don't think I need to feed any special food for it as it can eat the micro pellets for my fish that are left overs.

MTS are not hemaphroditic, but females are capable of asexual reproduction, so if your lone snail is female theres a good chance it will multiply on its own. Im not sure if theres a good way to tell genders apart.

Personally these guys did overrun some tanks of mine and I also found they ate some tender plants like watersprite. However those tanks were tropical and so the warmer temp wouldve greatly increased their metabolism (as it does with inverts) and reproductive rates. By most accounts here if theyre in a GF tank then theyre pretty amiable tankmates.

I didn't buy the snail, it was a "stowaway". It's now in a small tank with white cloud mountain minnows and the temperature is not high. The snail also looks smaller than the typical adult size (according to online sources I consulted) so even if it was female I don't think it's going to reproduce anytime soon.