Would this be a good water changing pump?

I don't have a way to use a Python, so I'm looking for a pump to use to change water. I need it to pump water from tank->bucket AND bucket->tank. Would this Harbor Freight fountain pump work? The choices for gph are 92, 158, 200, and 264. I figure 158gph should be enough, if it works at all. Any advice?

http://www.harborfreight.com/158-gph-miniature-submersible-fountain-pump-68396.html

I have the 264gph version of this one to run my DIY filter with. It works great and provides super flow rate even after going through six feet of tubing and a four inch wide - two foot long pipe. Be aware that it only pumps in one direction, though, and that is in through the grating and up through the 'fountain attachment'. That means you'll have to put the pump in the tank to take the water out, rendering your python unable to be hooked to the pump while you vacuum the gravel. You'd then have to move the pump to the bucket and attach a hose to it to pump the clean water up into the aquarium.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of the gravel vacuum problem. The main problems I'm having with using only the siphon and bucket is that 1) the siphon gets harder and harder to start as the water level goes down, and 2) I can't lift 40lbs of water above my head without dumping it everywhere. Sooooo maybe if I use the regular siphon with a gravel vac at the beginning of a water change, then I can switch to the pump? I mainly want the pump to get the water from bucket->tank

Go for the larger size (264). I bought one of the smaller ones and it was trash -- lasted only a few months. The little ones also take very small diameter tubing. The 264 is an excellent, very reliable pump that you can use in your pond when you get around to building it. ;)

That sounds like a good plan. Pumping the water out the door into the driveway/garden or into the shower drain provides plenty of suction for vacuuming for me. I definitely understand the lifting thing, too. I'm still having to lift hot water buckets to regulate the temperature of my tank. :thud

Edited by ChelseaM

I love my pond pump, and use it for w/c's all the time. I'd spring for the 264gph, as that's the one that I use at home. It's a bit bulky, but it's great. Put it in the tank, and use it to get your siphon started. Once you have it started, you can do your gravel vac, and move it out the way as needed. Actually, if you take a trip to home depot, you can pick up the right sized tubing for much less than .50 a foot, and drain it right out your door/window!

When it comes time to put water back into the tank, you can get a large sterilite container, and fill it with water ahead of time (using buckets of a more manageable size). Stick your pump and tubing into the receptacle, and fill'er'up. :) Just be sure not to let your pump run dry--it will heat up quickly, and damage it. That's why I suggested a larger bucket; it's less work in the long run. :)

Go for the larger size (264). I bought one of the smaller ones and it was trash -- lasted only a few months. The little ones also take very small diameter tubing. The 264 is an excellent, very reliable pump that you can use in your pond when you get around to building it. ;)

Ok, I was worried that would be too much flow, but I'm sure the flow rate is actually much lower. I will try to spring for that one :)

I love my pond pump, and use it for w/c's all the time. I'd spring for the 264gph, as that's the one that I use at home. It's a bit bulky, but it's great. Put it in the tank, and use it to get your siphon started. Once you have it started, you can do your gravel vac, and move it out the way as needed. Actually, if you take a trip to home depot, you can pick up the right sized tubing for much less than .50 a foot, and drain it right out your door/window!

When it comes time to put water back into the tank, you can get a large sterilite container, and fill it with water ahead of time (using buckets of a more manageable size). Stick your pump and tubing into the receptacle, and fill'er'up. :) Just be sure not to let your pump run dry--it will heat up quickly, and damage it. That's why I suggested a larger bucket; it's less work in the long run. :)

Do you have any idea what diameter tubing it needs? Draining out the window is a bit of hassle for me because of screens that have to be removed and such, so I am gonna stick with buckets. That sterilite tub is a great idea, though. I could keep filling it with the bucket as the pump runs and then I wouldn't have to stop and start it as much.

I plan on doing something like this to handle water changes better in the winter time. I'm going to cover the pump in a plastic bag with some tubing for an intake and outake. Through priming, the pump should suck up the water from the intake and push it out the outake thus creating and suction pipe that you can use for gravel vaccing.

Since the pump is small just take it with you when you go to the hardware store, then you can physically fit the pipe on the pump :)

I plan on doing something like this to handle water changes better in the winter time. I'm going to cover the pump in a plastic bag with some tubing for an intake and outake. Through priming, the pump should suck up the water from the intake and push it out the outake thus creating and suction pipe that you can use for gravel vaccing.

Since the pump is small just take it with you when you go to the hardware store, then you can physically fit the pipe on the pump :)

Yep. This is what I did, too. Just took the little bugger with me. :lol2

Now that I got it I see how it works. It has multiple sized thingies you can screw in to attach the tubing to. Bodoba, could you explain that plastic-bag thing again? Sounds cool but I'm confused :(