BABIES! (media heavy, beware!)

My ghost shrimp had ghost babies!!!! I've seen females berried in the evening and empty in the morning, but have never seen babies, ever. Apparently they can hide in the cabombas, because tonight I counted SEVEN babies!!! Proud momma, right here, this girl. EEEE! Well, I know you all by now, so here are pics:

9039053620_7de77450ec_b_zpsa68bf888.jpg

^ Mega zoom! Hi babies! There are three in this photo :D

9036831815_aa6488bd8c_b_zps622afd2c.jpg

^ No zoom. See them? This is a 10 gallon tank :)

9036844963_040236be6f_b_zpsd77bf570.jpg

^ For size reference, here are some adults at the base of that twisty driftwood you see in photo #2.

I have zero experience with inverts and these guys have been shocking me!!! Out of 23, I still have 19 of them a month later. Several have molted. And now babies?? My heart melts.

i started the same way had no real idea only plants needed and such tried ghosts end up losing them quite quickly sadly

but i ended up getting a fluval ebi and, started breeding red cherrys and they can just be left to it.

one of the most hardy shrimp in my eyes.

i have so many i use them as live feed for my tropical tank, and quite a few now live in my canister filter also lol

I'm enamored with red cherries :) I'd love to see photos of yours! I'd originally planned on kind of "practicing" with the ghosts to eventually buy some cherries, but these guys just have been thriving! I'd love to get some cherries but worried how they would do mixed with ghosts...and at $4 apiece plus shipping, I'm not too sure it's worth the risk.

sorry i can't get any good photos of the cherry's cameras a bit old now and does not focus well enough to show them off.

i'll give it go at some point, but not today sorry maybe if i have time tomorrow.

but i know people that keep cherrys and ghosts together they are a none aggressive type so they don't bother each-other.

and i believe they don't cross breed either but i'm not sure.

edit $4 :o

here in the UK i can get them at 25 pence from a shop

think thats about 40cent atm.

but saying that ghost are about £2-$3.40ish how things go across the pond lol.

Edited by Wizz

No worries, I know how tough they can be to photograph! :P

Ghost shrimp are cheap over here, around 4/$1 usually. There were some amano shrimp last time I was at my shop, and those were $3.99 apiece! I have never seen cherries anywhere around here. It looks like I can get some on aquabid.com for about ~$20 for 10 of them, but plus $7 shipping, or more. Eeek! The ghost shrimp are also treated...well, they're treated as feeders, because they are sold as feeders xD So I was surprised to get such a hardy bunch from my pet shop.

I think it might be worth the investment to get a few cherries if you think they can live peacefully together :)

oh god yes and they should do really well ghosts need better water quality to live well, where as cherry don't.

also cherrys breed very easily, they don't lay eggs they keep the eggs till they hatch on them, so more of the young survive.

think live bearers :)

and they will multiply very fast give it 3 month you tank will be full :P

(if you buy adults that is)

I'm enamored with red cherries :) I'd love to see photos of yours! I'd originally planned on kind of "practicing" with the ghosts to eventually buy some cherries, but these guys just have been thriving! I'd love to get some cherries but worried how they would do mixed with ghosts...and at $4 apiece plus shipping, I'm not too sure it's worth the risk.

my Lfs has them for 6$ a piece

I can see why they're called ghost shrimps... it took me a while to find the adults. I almost gave up looking lol :P

The babies are so tiny! I hope they survive and grow up to be big shrimpies :D

congrats on the shrimp babies :) my ghost shrimp always became food for the fish ;) I actually recently added whisker shrimp (look like the ghost shrimp) only bigger and so far they are hanging in there I find exoskeletons often ;) i would love to see some babies ;) I'm sure my GF will eat them up ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, almost a month later, I still have three shrimp babies! Maybe more, but that is the most I've seen in one place at one time xD Here is a pic of 2 of them! They are about half a centimeter long now and no longer just float around, they have legs and crawl all over the place :) I even saw one holding a small pellet yesterday! I still have no freaking idea how they are surviving!

3231a6ec-2643-4f40-baea-db3677d77885_zps