Sign in to follow this  
julioavila7

removing unhatched eggs from tank

i really dont post here at all. mostly just read up on everyone's experiences and advice.

one thing i haven't been able to find is WHEN should i remove the unfertilized eggs or egg shells from the tank. also, what would be the best method? i dont want to disturb the fry. should i get a turky baster and suck them up one by one? there are A LOOOOTTTT of eggs down there. i have a bare bottom tank. they are easy to see.

im estimating i have probably about 300 baby goldfish in my tank.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

I've read that a turkey baster can be used to get the eggs out but it's a bit tricky if they're stuck to the bottom. I have tiny hands so I just use my fingers and pick them out which can take a bit of time. But if they're definitely bad eggs you don't want to leave them in there. It'll foul the water real quick and could cause problems for the babies

yeah i tried and they were sticking to the bottom. it's been a day so ill give it another shot. gotta run to get a turkey baster!

theres probably 250 fry in my tank right now.

Edited by julioavila7

They are really sticky, you may have to wait until they hatch.

Remove the adults, lower the water level, scoop up the fry (not with a net they are delicate), and put them in a clean container with low current.

The best way to remove eggs is to be preemptive and when you notice spawning behavior, put down some spawning mops or something that with catch the eggs. This makes them easily removable. :)