Zombie Fish/ Mouth Issue

• Supporter

Just to confirm you added salt for a 0.3% concentration not a 3% concentration right?

0.3% is 30 tea

That's what I did. I like the panty hose idea. Saves me from doing all that bottle shaking. I am going tomorrow to get a second tank or plastic tub so I can do the bucket to bucket thing to minimize fish stress. Should I start with the metro Meds? I was thinking, since she can't get the pellets in her mouth (the thing in her mouth seems to give her limited suction) that I could pulverize some and mix it into repashy which she is able to eat once it gets a little soft. Thanks for everyone's help!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the link to what to do with the baking soda

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

I'd like for you to raise your tank kH by about 50ppm. Follow the directions in the table. :)

The way you laughed at the word like a giggling 12 year old hahaha :rofl3

Edit: Mermaidkitten, don't worry, you fit right in already!

Edited by LauraThe3xplora

• Supporter

Here is the link to what to do with the baking soda

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

I'd like for you to raise your tank kH by about 50ppm. Follow the directions in the table. :)

Thanks for the link! I will get started on this!!

Oh jeeze, that poor fish! I'm so glad she has an owner like you who is fighting so hard for her, she's a little fighter herself too! Judging by all that black around her face, there's healing going on right? Keep fighting, little fish! I'll be sending healing thoughts, you're in great hands here <3

• Supporter

Oh jeeze, that poor fish! I'm so glad she has an owner like you who is fighting so hard for her, she's a little fighter herself too! Judging by all that black around her face, there's healing going on right? Keep fighting, little fish! I'll be sending healing thoughts, you're in great hands here <3

Thanks so much for the happy thoughts! Someone actually told me to take her outside and step on her! Can you believe it?! She is still swimming and seems happy so I'm going to give it my best shot with all the help here of course. She looks better now than in that photo.

• Supporter

Update on my zombie fish: She is salted to .3%, added the baking soda, doing 100% water changes daily, only eating sporadically, and waiting on the Kanaplex to arrive in the mail (could not find that at five different fancy fish stores, what the heck?!) In the meantime, I experimented last night and ground up some metro meds in my magic bullet (as seen on tv) and mixed them in to some repashy soilient green. Should I try and feed her this or will it be over kill with the Kanaplex when it arrives? Her body is slowly healing but looks a lot better than on Monday and the green grey sore in her mouth is still there but looks like it is shrinking!!! Woo Hoo! Her moth still looks swollen and puffy but better. Here is an updated picture just for the record. I will post new water parameters tonight with GH and KH since I did find that test kit. Dnalex you are the best!!!!null_zpsedbeefac.jpg

If she is eating the Metro-Meds with soilent green, that's fine. Please do not add Kanaplex until we've discussed it, OK?

Also, keep note of when she's started this Metro-Repashy mixture, and how much in ratio. It's important that we make sure she takes enough to avoid resistance later on.

• Supporter

Ill try my metro plashy mix in the am and keep track. She doesn't seem to eat at night and I keep fishing it out of the tank after 30 minutes if it is still there so it doesn't pollute the water. Kanaplex is still being shipped and I have no clue how to use it. Ill let you know when it arrives. I bought frozen blood worms just in case it helps her appetite.ill hold off for now but I am gaining quite a little stock of fish supplies! I may have to open my own shop soon!!! Thanks for the well wishes everyone! It's nice to be in the company of others that really care about goldfish!!

• Supporter

Zombie Update:

Just for the record i am updating my water perameters:

6/15:

NH3: .25 PPM

N02: 0 PPM

N03: 0 PPM

PH: 7.6 (woo hoo!)

KH: 124.6 (7drops)

GH: 89.0 (5 drops)

Temp: 74 deg F

Still salted at 0.3%

Daily 100% water changes

She still looks the same but her face seems a bit puffy and her bottom lip (?) has a split in it but the split is clean and normal colored (not fuzzy or red). She is doing this strange thing with her mouth, opening and closing it quickly but it does not match with her gill movements, which are normal. I don't know if the sore is impairing her from sucking in water or what. Other than that the sore on the roof of her mouth is still shrinking and is now more goldfish skin colored rather than grey and the black spots are really disappearing/healing. Swimming normal but seems a bit jumpy and also keeps bumping in to the filter intakes. I am going to go get some sponges to cover them so they don't hurt her healing wounds. Not eating again except for a half a cube of thawed blood worms on Sunday. I also swapped out the bubble disc thing I had in there for a square stone. Even in a 24 hour period that thing collects a bunch of gunk, yuck! I took them out of the main tank too and replaced with square air stones. I will try and post some video later today of her mouth movement when I run home on my silly split shift. Happy Monday!

• Supporter

So yesterday I used the following: white wine, chocolate cake (for me, it was an awful day at work), spirulina flakes, and a cube of defrosted blood worms. I laid on the couch with low lights (for both me and the fish) and just watched the tank. She seems to be so skittish and also confused like she can't remember how to eat. After about an hour, when all the food was really mushy and I was contemplating removing it from the tank, she ate!!! Two spirulina flakes and several mouthfuls of worms. Apparently, this is like chicken soup for a goldfish! She seems to be unable to really suck stuff up which is sad since she was always such a forager. Regardless, I got some food in her which makes me happy since she is looking so thin and pale. We both felt better after our binge eating. Then of course I had to do an extra 100 percent water change at 4 am since there were worms all over. I do not recommend drinking and siphoning since there was quite a bit of water on the floor. :huh: Today I took the towel off the tank (left it only covering the back) so she could get some light since she is really pale. Her spirits seemed high when I did another water change today. Dnalex, you are the Caesar Milan of goldfish!

• Supporter

This is from yesterday. We're looking better. I may go out and get another 30 gallon tank since I think it will take several months for her fins to grow back before I even ever considered putting her back with her pals.

Edited by mermaidkitten

• Supporter

Looking better! :nana

Have you ever handfed her? I wonder if she will be able to compete for food? Perhaps while she's alone you could work on teaching her to handfeed if she doesn't already. :D

Well, if she never fully heals then I will have a lovely additional tank in my little apartment! I would love that of course (decorating tips anyone?!) I think I will try getting her started on hand feeding. She is just so skittish right now I was thinking about trying plastic tongs. I think I am going to get the main tank started on hand feeding because it is fun and goodness forbid I have another fish that has eating issues. Thanks for the tip!

• Supporter

Just an update, She is eating but it takes at least an hour. It is funny because her lips are missing so she scoots her food in to a corner and then sucks it up since she seems to have very limited dexterity. Smart girl! She also bumps into stuff in the tank and bumps into the glass, which she never did before she fell ill. Water parameters are the same. Still salted at 0.3%, 100% water changes daily, and her scales are healing. She will still only eat blood worms and she's pooping normal. I may try to feed her some gel food with a syringe this weekends to make sure she's getting a well rounded diet. Still no antibiotics in her. Kanaplex should finally arrive tomorrow but it looks like the fuzzy stuff is gone and she just needs to heal with clean water and salt. How long can she be salted? Also, will her lips grow back? I am attaching a photo that I thought was funny, natural dog food for the pups with chicken and rice, fancy fish food for the goldies, and I am eating a .99 cent box of pasta and a .59 cent can of tomato sauce, but I really would not have it any other way!

null_zps550ef1df.jpg

At this point, I don't see a need for the Kanaplex, but it is a very good thing to have on hand. It doesn't really expire, so it will be a good thing to save in your medicine cabinet for fish. :)

At that level of salt, she can go for quite a while, as long as we take to make sure that it is no higher. The food that she's eating is totally fine, so while she may have difficulties and taking some time to eat, she is getting great nutrition. :)

You did a fantastic job with her! I don't know that the mouth tissues will grow back, and we should count on in not growing back as we plan for the future.

What do you feed your dogs? That looks very interesting :)

Dash gets a homemade concoction of turkey, quinoa, sweet potatoes, soy beans spinach, brocoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini, carrots, and blueberries. :)

Not sure if it's worth trying, but if your LFS sells Lee's worm feeder cones, they may help keep the tank clean while your fish works on sucking them up. I love mine...it keeps all the worms in one spot and makes it easy for fish to eat! Just a thought :)