Fry Trek: the next generation

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Two of them are showing weird signs, not unusual for fries.

- One is unable to swim another way than in spiral trajectory, he is the one who eats the most but remains smaller.

- One is bent like a boomrang and remains in the small range too.

Edited by King Poseidon

My indoor young guests are more lucky than the ones living in outdoor breeding tank: Today, i've witnessed a Dytiscus invasion, two "warrior" per tank.....

dytique2.jpg

I know this predator eats tadpole and fry.....but it's the law of nature.

At least, the ones that live indoor will never meet them (at least, while they are young.....when they get older and reach their ponds, the Dysticus will not be a threat anymore).

Edited by King Poseidon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm a little confused though, are the fry Centurion's babies or did they hatch the day that he died and belonged to another fish? Sorry, I'm probably just having a blonde moment not quite getting it. lol You have some mighty cute fry there!

They are not Centurion babies (it would have been great, he could have been remained alive in a sense).

They have hatched front of his tank, the day he passed away.

When i found him dead, he was looking toward their place.

The biggest one (on the last pic) as a "Centurion like" behaviour, that is to say "Look at me boy....I AM THE BOSS OF THIS TANK SO LET ME EAT FIRST"

Edited by King Poseidon

While they are growing, i can tell there are shubunkins in the group.

Whereas half of the group is light bronze (will they be yellow, red, white?), the others are white/translucid. Two of these last have full-black eyes.

There is also two kind of head shape: Triangular and rounded.

Basicaly i think i can have all the color combo we can imagine as parents are:

-Mothers:

1 Yellow comet

1 Red/Orange comet

1 Shubunkin (but i don't think she was sexualy mature)

- Fathers

1 Sarasa Comet

1 Shubunkin Comet

1 Red

Edited by King Poseidon

I have seen today that the fry that has remained outdoor in fry tanks has well grown...and i have stunning little shubunkins.

The other fries are bronze/black, i wonder if they will turn red, yellow or whatever.

One of them has white body, black fins and red/gold mark on the head. Gorgeous. His father should be my midnight shubunkin (called "Galaxy" cause he looks like a map of the galaxy).

Tried to take pics of them but all i have obtained is blurry stuff. I will try again tomorrow.

"Commons" type are metallic for sure, they are black or dark bronze.

Shubukins observed today in outer tanks are matte, as their supposed father is.

The fact is one of the female is also a shubukins, but with a totaly different scheme. I could perfectly have Shuby A x Shuby B.

They are very different from the shubukins (or sarasa? or leucistic?) fry i have indoor.

Outer fries seem to be bigger than indoor ones.

Damned.....have forgotten to take pics.

Noticed to special fry today:

- 1 totaly disabled, tail eaten by fungus.....The poor thing is 1/4 inch long. There is dozens, hundreds or thousands of his kind in my pond and buckets....but is it a reason to let him die?

NO: i don't let my people in troubles.....so he has been brought indoor in a privativ bucket with methylene blue. Wait and see.

- 1 who can't be call "fry" anymore. I don't know how old he is but it's the biggest of all: more than 2 inch, full white with an orange mark on the head (so...i know who is the father: the Sarasa). I was feeding the parents when i saw him among them, looking at me but very shy.

I wonder if it's not a last year fry (even if i had never noticed fry in my ponds before this year).

I have ton of blurry pics where you can't even tell if there is fish or not :D

Furthermore, the more i stay front of them the more they hide.

They tend to get more and more carefull so it"s very difficult to catch them on pic. As water lettuce duplicates at a near exponential rate (that's the first year i see such a good health in water lettuce stuff. It's incredible, it i don't remove regulary some of them they would totaly cover the ponds).

The fact is i have a lot of survivors...and may not have enough room in my ponds for them.

I may have 40 fry in all my fry tanks......and i don't know how many of them made it in the pond they come from (for sure, there is 1 strong guy or girl that earned his rank among adults).

Furthermore, i find new borns EVERY day.

I am digging a 1000 gallons ponds but this one is dedicated to 2 kois.

I will have to find homes for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot Ahardeay.

When i discovered my first fry (the first five in the glass), i would never thought it would have been so productiv.

I've discovered fry in a plastic tank where i've NEVER put nor eggs nor fries. It's a tank where i put over production of water lettuce...eggs may have sticked to the roots.

It's a real invasion lol, a life explosion with all the kind of colors you can imagine.

In the "mother pond", one of the biggest fry, aside a female. He is a yellow comet x sarasa..will be a yellow sarasa.

180969IMG0415.jpg

Most of the parents:

375693IMG0412.jpg

Edited by King Poseidon