Fry Trek: the next generation

At the begining of May, while i was servicing a pond pump clogged by stringy green algae, i found some funny snail eggs sticked to the pump outer shell.....

"Humm...wait, snail eggs are not like this....this little pearl are.......YES, they are goldfish eggs!!! Or perhaps....xxx eggs".

Without any conviction, i decided to put these 5 eggs in the only egg-safe tank available: a big wine glass with some gravels and plants, i even don't remember why this "premium over the top" set up was lying on this table for several months.

13 of May: fatality strikes, one of my beloved ryukin from my fancy tank reach another world (see "farewell Centurion" in obituary section).

15 of May: I check the glass....nothing...........and something moves. The 5 eggs were true goldfish eggs. 5 eggs, 5 fries!

2 days after, i put them in a 10 gallons plastic tank with air stone and a rudimentary sponge filter set up, "homemade".

They have been joined by 6 others babies (in fact, the pond they come from is full of fry).

They grow well, especially one of them (the double the size of his brothers/sisters).

I feed them green water from pond and fry food from LFS.

The day i dscovered thm, the 5 first ones were at the end of the "i don't have to eat cause i have a bag of food sticked to my belly" phase.

That means they have propably hatched the day my poor Centurion died.

The glass was on a table not far from the fancy tank.

The fact is when i've found Centurion lifeless, he was laying at bottom/front of his tank, looking toward the glass.

While leaving me, Centurion gave me a whole legion.

Wheel of life...

Edited by King Poseidon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's so sad and so beautiful. He made sure he had the chance to bless you with his little ones so his legacy would live on… :cry:heart

Pics taken the 25 of May, they are now a little bit bigger.

615223IMG0229.jpg

947330IMG0230.jpg

324126IMG0231.jpg

365255IMG0232.jpg

Pic taken yesterday: this one has been found in an outdoor tank i use for other fry than the 11 i have at home.

He is a lot bigger than every other fry i've found (1 inch long).

691330IMG0249.jpg

Edited by King Poseidon

:heart

I can't come up with a single thing to say!! Just think this was so sweet and beautiful.

This story just amazes me :) what a great gift from a lost friend :) ^_^

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

Ok so three things to say here first. sorry about the guy you lost :(

Second awesome about the fry and I wish you the best of luck (post pics along) :)

Third As a Star Trek fan I love the title of this thread :thumb:

This is so exciting. I really enjoyed reading your introduction here. I'm sorry about Centurion, but he did leave you a legion! :)

Do you know who the possible parents are? I remember you have some incredible fish!

Update! Pics taken today (24/06/13).

They grow well, especially one i'had previously caught in one of the outdoor breeding tanks.

I believe he was the one you see in the white bucket. He is 2 to 3 times bigger than its siblings.

This one:

871026IMG0282.jpg

898736IMG0283.jpg

315345IMG0284.jpg

Group shot:

563121IMG0288.jpg

Edited by King Poseidon