Anyone here know how to fix filters?

Iseul

I have two internal filters (one 200 litres/hour, one 600 litres/hour) which are malfunctioning. One of them was working quite well until recently, and it just stopped working completely. The other one still works but makes a huge amount of noise (which is not normal). Does anyone here live in or near London in the UK and know how to fix filters? They are small filters but I still don't want to just throw them away. I've tried to fix them myself (opening them up, etc), but to no avail.

Not really. I never really use substrate in any of my goldfish tanks, which were what these 2 filters were used in in the past. (One in a tank for fry and the other as one of the "supplemental" filters in a large tank) Except for a few medium sized rocks and potted plants, it's just "bare-bottom".

These filters were definitely not damaged by sucking in tiny pieces of gravels or something.

Noise usually indicates a malfunctioning impeller (which is why I asked about the substrate). If you can provide names I'm sure we can look up how to clean it. After a thorough cleaning you can see if there was anything disturbing the impeller. :)

What brand (if you don't know, would you have pics of the things?)

The one that has stopped functionning: grab on it every part that can be still used and put the rest of it to the bin.

The other one: noise means something wrongs with the impeller (a broken fan?). Is it possible to disassemble the impeller area?

Edited by King Poseidon

filter make would be great as all makes have their own qurks

if they are Fluval you'll be in luck because they do alot of spare parts but from what been said so far

i have to agree sounds likea impeller issue.

also fluvals are very easy to pull apart, if you need to buy new filter i highly recomend the fluval brand.

One is a SunSun HJ-752 (600 lph/158 gph). This came with a 20 gallon tank I bought 2nd hand and has been used for many years. This doesn't seem to be working at all now.

The other one is a Fluval Nano Aquarium Filter (200 lph/53 gph). It is the filter that came with the 30L Fluval Shrimp Tank I got for free for subscribing to the Practical Fishkeeping magazine. This one still works but makes an abnormal amount of noise when turned on.

I noticed the sunsun has an air pump tube like my grech UV sterilizer. Could that have been opened and water gotten in?

I haven't been able to find any spare parts for these two filters on eBay. Also since I got both of them effectively for free I don't think I'm willing to pay money to get new parts. The Fluval parts especially costs quite a bit.

I was thinking of maybe ways to fix them without getting spare parts. Perhaps they just need more cleaning or haven't been assembled properly by me. In the SunSun filter there is a thin metal rod inside which runs through the centre of the impeller and is attached to the internal top surface of the impeller casing. When I was cleaning it once it came loose and I stuck it (or tried to stuck it) back onto the case. Could this be why the impeller is no longer rotating when the power is on?