Large or Small?

• Supporter

Hi All,

I am interested in starting a tank with Black Moors. I have only ever kept comets and commons. I have a soon to be empty 39 gallon tank and am planning on stocking it with two moors. I want to be very prepared with a cycled tank and the quarintine process and I want to ensure that I buy healthy fish. I was at Pet***rt and a few other fish stores and have been lurking at the black moor tanks. They seem to have great personalities! For some reason the chain store seems to have the healthiest looking fish. All the rest I detected varios illnesses in thier fancy goldie tanks (one was so aweful I amost cried over the poor sick goldies.) I was wondering if anyone had advice on what is better, buying the very small size moors or the medium size moors. I think with the older fish it is a bit easier to tell if they will stay really velvety black which I like but what is more important is a healthy fish. Are larger (older) fancies a better bet in terms of overall health when faced with the stress of adjusting to a new tank? ORrshould I pick the little guys? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated! :duckk:

I have a medium telescope currently going through QT, I will let you know how he handles it.

So far, all I can tell you is that he seems to be scent based at finding food rather than sight based. This seems to be a common trait for telescopes though.

I think that larger, older fish give you a better idea of whether or not the black will stay true.

My Moor is the only fish I bought large(and paid too much...lol) for that very reason.

• Supporter

Thanks for the info! I am having a great time finding safe tank decor given thier eye sensitivity. Based on stuff I have seen here on the forums I have bought repashy, pro gold, spirulina flakes and shrimp pellets and one of my commons seems to be more scent based with food. It is awesome to see how excited they get when I feed them vs before when I was feeding them some low cost pellets. Plus, within a week or two thier colors really popped from eating high quality food. I'm just kicking myself for how uneducated I was about feeding them. It is also fun to see how they size up fresh veggies and try and figure out how to eat them since it is all new to them! They are way smarter than I thought. Keep me posted about your telescope!

• Supporter

I think that larger, older fish give you a better idea of whether or not the black will stay true.

Being such a "rescuer" I also think people will buy the little guys and not the older fish which make me want to take them home even moor (more I mean :teehee )

Thanks for the info! I am having a great time finding safe tank decor given thier eye sensitivity. Based on stuff I have seen here on the forums I have bought repashy, pro gold, spirulina flakes and shrimp pellets and one of my commons seems to be more scent based with food. It is awesome to see how excited they get when I feed them vs before when I was feeding them some low cost pellets. Plus, within a week or two thier colors really popped from eating high quality food. I'm just kicking myself for how uneducated I was about feeding them. It is also fun to see how they size up fresh veggies and try and figure out how to eat them since it is all new to them! They are way smarter than I thought. Keep me posted about your telescope!

I also feed mine frozen blood worms with a cone feeder and lettuce with a clip. The Moor has learned where these are and can easily find them. Check out the videos below...

th_VID_20130517_183515_214.jpg

th_VID_20130517_132256_787.jpg

Edited by jmetzger72

• Supporter

I also feed mine frozen blood worms with a cone feeder and lettuce with a clip. The Moor has learned where these are and can easily find them. Check out the videos below...

th_VID_20130517_183515_214.jpg

th_VID_20130517_132256_787.jpg

Thanks! I have a clip I like that cone thing! Your tank is lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Hello and Welcome to the forum. I would think a bigger/older moor would hopefully not change colors and stay that velvety black. But I don't know! Can older fish still change colors? I have a 4 inch black velvety moor that I've had for one year this month. :) He still has that dark black. Has bronze on his belly. I've had him since he was about an inch or so. (1 1/2) I think mine is getting better looking as he gets bigger. ha ha

I say: Look at the fish and a couple that stand out to you. You will most likely fall in love with a couple... more so then others. Looking forward to seeing what you get.

Edited by 4prettyfish

• Supporter

Thanks for the welcome! I already picked out two of the large. I swear every time I go in there the same two swim straight to the front of the tank and say hi! Maybe I'm nuts! I also think the guy in the fish section thinks I am trying to steal since I go in there every other day to check on them! I guess I just answered my own question about which size to get!!

Actually, for health, I always prefer to pick younger/smaller fish, on the basis that they've had less time not being kept by you. Older/larger fish, especially imports, do not live as long, in my experience.

Jared had a great point that you may have a bit more assurance that the black will stay. There are some tricks to picking fish that will likely stay black. Hopefully Helen will add her input here.

I bought my blackmoor when he was tiny. Now he's huge and going on 5 years. :)

Dnalex, why do you think they don't live as long when they are bought larger?. Is it shipping issues?. According to this site, an average fancy goldfish lifespan is between 5-10 years.

Dnalex, why do you think they don't live as long when they are bought larger?. Is it shipping issues?. According to this site, an average fancy goldfish lifespan is between 5-10 years.

I do not know. This is just something that I have observed of the fish I have had.

I couldn't hazard a guess as to why though.

What I have said does not contradict the 5-10 years average fancies can achieve, and much more in some cases. :)

• Supporter

I'm still torn! I think I am going to access based on how healthy they look. I think the small tank fish looked like they had some fin rot and I am batteling a bad case of that with my comet right now. I don't think the larger fish are very old. They are about 2-2.5" and the small fish are about 1.5" so both are pretty young I think but I am not great at guseeing since I have never had moors. One of my common's is 12" at 5 years old! I can't wait to see what happens when he is in his new 75 gallon tank!

Hello and welcome!

I have a moor and to be honest she's my spoiled brat! Personally I like to grab the little ones to try and give them a long life... I'd imagine an older fish has had more trauma from nitrite and ammonia poisioning as well as having to deal with chlorine and high nitrate levels for longer periods of time. Not to mention prolonged exposure to parasites and possible infection.

I strongly believe that

If you fall in love with them then get them!

That's just my speculation though! Best of luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by anastasiam

I have to say that I like to buy them little as watching them grow and change is a big part of the fun of having them :)

they say or i have heard that you want to pick a nice dark black compared to the bronze looking ones will turn quicker...

I'm still torn! I think I am going to access based on how healthy they look. I think the small tank fish looked like they had some fin rot and I am batteling a bad case of that with my comet right now. I don't think the larger fish are very old. They are about 2-2.5" and the small fish are about 1.5" so both are pretty young I think but I am not great at guseeing since I have never had moors. One of my common's is 12" at 5 years old! I can't wait to see what happens when he is in his new 75 gallon tank!

This is first and foremost how I pick my fish. Pick the one that is healthiest (no surface gulping, no ich spots, no thickened slime coat, no pustules, no yawning, no red streaks at fins or joints, etc), is swimming actively (no bottom sitting, no corkscrewing, no flashing etc), and is positioned evenly when at rest (no head standing, tail raising, or flipping)

Then I going through those I look for traits that I like in fish. My fish go out in a pond and winter in semihibernation in the basement, I keep those two environmental factors in mind when purchasing fish.

I also ask when the shipment came in and how long they have been in the store. If they have treated for anything in their QT.

Hope this helps you out. (though it isn't really based on size at all)

I have 3 tiny blackmoors atm. When I chose them I did as bodoba has mentioned. Check there condition etc then of the healthy ones I then selected on shape colour etc.

One tip I was told with blackmoors (and im not sure its accurate or not) is if it has a bronze belly (underside) it has more chance of changing colour. If its white underneath then it has better chance of keeping its colour.

If its totally black all over and healthy grab it.

But like I said im not sure if thats all just an old wives tail or not.

As for mine the 3 best all had white bellies so thats what I got (not because the white belly, but because they where the healthier looking fish)

And my vote is for smaller fish.

I think it is very wise of you that you have gone to observe them multiple times before purchasing them. You can get a better idea of their condition and the care they are being given.

I think it is very wise of you that you have gone to observe them multiple times before purchasing them. You can get a better idea of their condition and the care they are being given.

I also consider 2-2.5' still pretty small...lol! Mine's a whale!!!

• Supporter

This is first and foremost how I pick my fish. Pick the one that is healthiest (no surface gulping, no ich spots, no thickened slime coat, no pustules, no yawning, no red streaks at fins or joints, etc), is swimming actively (no bottom sitting, no corkscrewing, no flashing etc), and is positioned evenly when at rest (no head standing, tail raising, or flipping)

Then I going through those I look for traits that I like in fish. My fish go out in a pond and winter in semihibernation in the basement, I keep those two environmental factors in mind when purchasing fish.

I also ask when the shipment came in and how long they have been in the store. If they have treated for anything in their QT.

Hope this helps you out. (though it isn't really based on size at all)

Good tips thanks! What is cork screwing? Also, what if all fish look good except for one? Should I avoid that tank all together? There is so much to consider! All my fish have come from the county fair (one that lived 19 years) so this option to choose is pretty exciting!

I also consider 2-2.5' still pretty small...lol! Mine's a whale!!!

Me too! How large is yours?