Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

How do you know if a goldfish is pregnant?

Is it possible to tell if a goldfish is pregnant? If so, how? Thanks :)

my lemon oranda gets really round in the belly...then the boys start chasing her around & smooshing her into the tank walls & such to get her to release her eggs.

Goldfish technically are never 'pregnant' per se since they are not livebearers. The female drops eggs into the water and the male follows behind and fertilizes these by spraying milt on the eggs.

It can be difficult to tell if a female fish is full of eggs and ready to spawn, but often they will look rounder than normal. You will also typically notice male fish taking an interest in her (if there are male fish of breeding age in the tank). The males will chase her around, nosing up her bum and pushing into her in an attempt to get her to drop her eggs. Female fish may be a little more lethargic than normal during this time because the males can wear her out. If it gets too aggressive the female may need a break from them from time to time.

I've just been watching my fish and my black Ranchu (who I'm pretty sure is a female) looks really round, and the others (all boys) seem to be quite interested in her...not aggressively so though, so I'm not too worried yet. I have no idea of what I'd need and what I'd need to do if she did release eggs!

A water change and possibly two, eggs and milt are high in protein and foul up the water fast.

If you are wanting to save them from your fish eating them, you would put down spawning mops to collect the eggs and then transfer the eggs into a clean container. And still do a water change on the main tank :rofl

Goldfish technically are never 'pregnant' per se since they are not livebearers. The female drops eggs into the water and the male follows behind and fertilizes these by spraying milt on the eggs.

It can be difficult to tell if a female fish is full of eggs and ready to spawn, but often they will look rounder than normal. You will also typically notice male fish taking an interest in her (if there are male fish of breeding age in the tank). The males will chase her around, nosing up her bum and pushing into her in an attempt to get her to drop her eggs. Female fish may be a little more lethargic than normal during this time because the males can wear her out. If it gets too aggressive the female may need a break from them from time to time.

Yeah I understand that they are not livebearers, but I didn't know what else to call it haha. She has been hiding away more recently, and rests near the bottom more than she used to. She's got very round, and I've just been watching one of the boys nosing her back end. I do see the boys following her sometimes, but it's never been aggressive, otherwise I would've separated them.

I've just been watching my fish and my black Ranchu (who I'm pretty sure is a female) looks really round, and the others (all boys) seem to be quite interested in her...not aggressively so though, so I'm not too worried yet. I have no idea of what I'd need and what I'd need to do if she did release eggs!

well, if you have the space/time and feel you are able to find proper homes for the fry you would need to take the eggs out of the tank when you see them or remove the fish to different tank. If you do not want the fry, just leave the fish in, they will eat most of the eggs and then you can do a water change to remove whatever is leftover.

If you do get eggs and want to try to keep them, just post here and we can walk you through it.

Brilliant, thanks Tithra :) I'll keep an eye on her, I may just be imagining things. Also, could you please tell me what a spawning mop actually is? I have seen pictures of eggs on them, but I don't actually know what they are :)

spawning mops can easily be made of yarn tied together then hung in the tank

here's a youtube tutorial (there are lots on youtube :) )

http://youtu.be/d9X03ZPoUf8

Goldfish technically are never 'pregnant' per se since they are not livebearers.

Yeah I understand that they are not livebearers, but I didn't know what else to call it haha.

I believe the term you want is "gravid," which means either full of eggs or pregnant.

Several months ago my little delicate pearlscale female was being harassed and chased by 3 much bigger Oranda and black moor males. I couldn't take it any longer so I put her in a brand new tank with a new female.

I've since changed roommates around again. :)

I have a few white dots in 2 corners of my tank. When I tried to scrape them off with my finger nail they were very hard and caked on almost like a mineral deposit? That wouldn't be eggs...would it?

BTW I hope it is ok that I am posting on this thread.

Do you happen to have nerites in your tank? :idont

I have a few white dots in 2 corners of my tank. When I tried to scrape them off with my finger nail they were very hard and caked on almost like a mineral deposit? That wouldn't be eggs...would it?

BTW I hope it is ok that I am posting on this thread.

I also get these white eggs, and I'm pretty sure they are nerite eggs :) I think I remember reading that they need to be in brackish water to hatch though :) but correct me if I'm wrong

Several months ago my little delicate pearlscale female was being harassed and chased by 3 much bigger Oranda and black moor males. I couldn't take it any longer so I put her in a brand new tank with a new female.I've since changed roommates around again. :)

Poor little pearlscale :( the males don't really chase the Ranchu around too much, not enough to concern me anyway.