I may have done something bad (New fish)

So I'd like to think that I saved them from the petstore and gave them a decent home but I still broke the rules in some books. I have been monitoring nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and PH like a hawk and as of today these two little critters. They are both very active and jolly and get along really well. The Ranchu is named Spock and I still haven't found a name for the Oranda/fantail.

HL7tUDah.jpg

Please don't angry :c

Gorgeous! :Congrats:

Fish-in cycling of tanks is very do-able, as long as you are willing to be very disciplined about doing the appropriate testing and water changes. You will also need Seachem Prime, and then aquarium salt.

Why don't you assemble all of these things, and then make a fish-in cycling thread. We will follow your progress and offer what suggestions we may to keep your fish safe during the cycling! :)

Gorgeous! :Congrats:

Fish-in cycling of tanks is very do-able, as long as you are willing to be very disciplined about doing the appropriate testing and water changes. You will also need Seachem Prime, and then aquarium salt.

Why don't you assemble all of these things, and then make a fish-in cycling thread. We will follow your progress and offer what suggestions we may to keep your fish safe during the cycling! :)

Sounds like a plan, I will look around for the seachem prime stuff, it's definitely been in the back if my mind when I'm in pet stores but not something I've actively looked for. Right Now the nitrates and nitrites are at 0, PH is dead flat 7.0, I don't need to worry about chlorine, Ammonia did go up to about 0,75 mg/l but has beeen steadily below 0,2 since then.

Will do another measurement tomorrow and report with a new thread in the appropriate category should any issues arise.

Congratulations on your new fish. They are both adorable.

I had lost my beneficial bacteria from both of my tanks close to a month ago (I think) due to rinsing my media/sponges a little too much. I feel like I'm starting at the beginning all over again by testing my water morning and night. I've also been doing huge water changes on both tanks every morning and night. So with you doing, fish in cycle, it can be done. Just stay on top of it for the health of your fish. It's tiring and time consuming. I see my mistake finally coming to an end of twice daily WC's.

Both are awesome.

The ranchu has a VERY beautifull back curve.

Check daily amonnia and nitrites. You may not have spikes, you may have...time will tell you.

IMO, have in stock a 20 gallons rubber or plastic bucket (or anothe tank) if you see a nitrite spike (it will allow you to put in a safer place the two guys the time the cycle is established).