Calling all anacharis floaters!

jenzaar

Sooooo with six foot-long strands of anacharis and five days, I now have a bunch of ~4-inch pieces that I don't know where to put.

Floating it with the wisteria seems like the best option, since that hangs out in one corner and doesn't cause any problems, but this just wants to go all over the tank and get stuck to the filter intake :wall

Can anyone assist? I'm stuck!

Before I gave up with weighing it back down, I did take a group of smaller pieces of anacharis and put them in a little rubberband. I suppose I could do that with the rest since they're staying put, but it seems like it would be too constrained like that? :idont

And just to make things even better, I did a WC before and didn't see that the intake cover got knocked off the filter. When I turned everything back on I made a plant smoothie in my nice clean tank :rolleyes:

Anyway, pics of what you've got are also appreciated! :D

It doesn't get stuck to the filter, or the smaller ones at least? It seems they've calmed down a little, a few sank but most are floating around. gonna free the rest and see what happens. Kinda hope I made a big deal of nothing haha

Sometimes they do get stuck to my prefilter sponge, but it's not a big deal. Just stick your hand in, and pull it free. :)

For me, it's more of a pain in the butt when they get into the soapdishes that I have my houseplants in. :mad:

Just let them blow around the tank; they'll eventually find a spot that suits them. :)

Alrighty. Thanks!:)

I'm not liking them being so scattered! They need to straighten up!

Oddly enough the ludwigia is looking beautiful today :rolleyes:

No idea! I need to ffigure it out. Or post a picture haha. I was told it's rotala, but llooks nothing like what I find when I look for pictures of that. I think I saw a post from maybe Dan in aus with a pic of something that lookrd just like mine and it said it was ludwigia soooo... I dunno! ;)

Edited by jenzaar

It may be it's above water form, which is how most nurseries grow their aquarium plants. When plants are grown submerged, they can look very different.

Just think about how your wisteria has changed.

Hadn't thought of that!

Well here's the plant in question ;)

Maybe? I don't know if it attached or not

It wouldnt last long in my tank.. My Moor can strip anacharis bare in two days :feedme

He left it alone til yesterday! The night before I found the pleco all over it, I swear he's the only reason my gf is now interested in it!

Cool! And thanks :) good to know what I've got in there. I really like it too, might get some more, who knows! :D

Cool! And thanks :) good to know what I've got in there. I really like it too, might get some more, who knows! :D

In my experience, it cannot float and needs a substrate/pot. You have a really nice bunch there.

In my experience, it cannot float and needs a substrate/pot. You have a really nice bunch there.
Thanks! I was told it was something else which could float (and I don't think that even can :rofl ). Not potting anything, so I'm gonna cross my fingers and admire it til it either dies or doesn't!

Edit: you're talking about the ludwigia right?

Edited by jenzaar

Yes, the ludwigia will need a pot. You can take a candle holder, and fill it with aquarium gravel, if you choose. It's a very undemanding plant that can be so beautiful, if allowed to grow. :)

I always have mine in the substrate. When it gets tall, I sometimes trim it and sometimes don't. :idont

• 2 weeks later...

Never thought of that! That's a really good idea.

Well I had about five decent ones that I put in a soapdish stuck to the wall. Dwindled down to three, and now there is one very lonely two/three inch piece that I set free yesterday. If it grows it grows, I don't care anymore if the fish attack! :rofl