What is a Good quality Algae magnet

I have a 12 mm Freshwater glass Aquarium with the front being made of starphire glass.
And have looked around the web and I'm faced with two options:

1) Mag-Float 125 LONG

recommended for 473L aquariums with a surface thickness up to 10mm
Very popular.

2) Flipper 2 in 1 magnetic cleaner

Similar to Mag-Flip but supposedly better
Slim form factor
contains metal scraper on one end, magnet the other
Flips underwater

------------------------
I'm very curious to know whether the metal scraper is needed within a freshwater aquarium as I have yet to encounter stubborn algae.
So Should I opt for a flipper or a mag-float?

Please feel free to discuss any experences with any magnetic cleaners,

icon_biggrin.gif

I actually find them a waste of money. I buy cheap cloths for rubbing off algae on the glass, and they probably cost me $2 for a large roll that will last 6+ months.

I've used one magnetic cleaner and various other algae scrapers, but I nothing beats a little elbow grease and a cloth :)

Edited by Narny105

I've always used an aquarium safe sponge, but that doesn't mean I'm not tired of having water up to my earlobes. I'm just too cheap to buy something like a mag float. knowing it couldn't be used on the back of the tank (because it's almost against the wall).

I just use algae pad/sponges on my tanks. Those magnetic ones frankly scare me. Seems too easy to get a stone trapped in it and scratch the glass. Same goes for metal scrapers. D:

Also they don't seem like they be any good against green dot and black brush algae which require a lot of scrubbing.

I had a Mag-Float once upon a time, and while it worked, I always felt paper towels or a cloth worked best. Something as simple as a Chux Superwipe works brilliantly. :)

I've got a 55 gallon tank and short arms, so there's just no way I could clean the walls without drowning if I want to do it more than once a week with my water changes. I just have a cheap one from walmart that works fine so long as I'm dutiful with it and don't let anything tough and scaly build up.

I gather from most replies that the majority of you guys are willing to use elbow grease to remove algae, but I for one find this impractical since the current tank I'm trying to set-up is about 2 ft deep which makes it hard to get my arm around, also water tends to overflow when doing this.

As for the sponges, how do you tell if its aquarium safe since at the supermarket most sponges say on the back that their not suitable for aquarium use.

Also I find it hard to believe that paper towels could be used since they usually break apart in water unless there super tough.

On my other tank I used a cheaper magnet but the glass isn't as thick as the current tank I'm setting up.

I have never really encountered stubborn algae before but the magnets have helped simplify the cleaning process.

I'm not sure about the scrapper but I don't think its really needed for a freshwater aquarium since it seems to apply more to salt-water tank which tend to get coraline alage on the glass which is tougher than normal algae.

I had the mag float and found it to be a good one, but like many others I hardly ever used it because I do 2 w/c's a week and wipe down all the walls then ;) my grandson loved to use them though ;) lol

I only scrub algae when I do water changes, which removes the 'overflowing' factor as well as making paper towel fine to use.

I would definitely be afraid of something getting caught and scratching the glass! I've seen too many bad reviews to warrant buying a magnet.

I usually go to 'dollar stores' and pick up very cheap sponges.

Edited by ChelseaM

As for the sponges, how do you tell if its aquarium safe since at the supermarket most sponges say on the back that their not suitable for aquarium use.

Also I find it hard to believe that paper towels could be used since they usually break apart in water unless there super tough.

If you use a cloth or a sponge, you will want to make sure it is not "antimicrobial" or "antibacterial". You should also check that no other other additives (for example, soap) have been added. Generally none of the cheaper sponges or cloths come with the aforesaid.

Paper towels are surprisingly strong. If you use one of the flimsier varieties it will break up; however, the thicker varieties (for example, Viva paper towels) can hold up quite nicely.

This thread offered up a wide variety of suggestions as far as tank cleaning is concerned.

I eliminate overflow and being up to my armpit in water by using a scrubpad attached to a wand like others suggested :) cleans the front of my glass in about 45 seconds.

I have this one, in two different handle lengths. They work incredibly well for spots where you actually need scraping. The "razor" edge can be replaced as often as you like (I haven't replaced mine.).

Other than that, it's good old scrubbing for me, as well. :)

18921256.jpg

• Admin

I just use filter floss and if its hard algae on the glass, well being Married to a window tinter I have razor blades on hand to scrap the rest off... do it slow and it works like a charm and wont scratch your glass :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think gravel is a problem with magnetic cleaner as long as you clean the magnet pad before scrubbing, and also avoiding getting too close to the substrate.

I believe I'll end up getting the mag-float 125 long for my tank and see how things work-out, I've seen them decently priced on-line.

I've also heard in other posts someone mention the "Vertex Triplex magnetic cleaner" which is a rather elegant and stylish magnetic cleaner but unfortunately it's way overpriced and doesn't even float.

thanks

:D