Help With Speedy

Guest kbyers

Guest kbyers

Hi I'm new here I found your site while looking for help for Speepy my 6 year old gf. I'm not even sure what type he is we've had him sooooooooooo long. I think angle fish. He's got huge tail fins that form an upside down "V" He's out lived all other fish we put him with. He started out as the smallest of 3. They all died, so last fall after 6 years of being on his own in a 10 gallon tank we tried to add a few friends. They all died on one by one. I think he bullied them all. He has grown into his tank.

Now to my problem, over the past few years Speedy has devoloped white spot on his orange body. I was told it was because he was getting older. His tail fin is slightly freying nothing big. That's fine, he's never shown any signs of illness until today. I noticed on his one fin he has a black spot devoloping. It runs along the bottom of the fin and the fin now curls slightly. :huh: This just started today. The have been no changes in his tank lately other than the water changing and adding and the was netuarized with the same product I have used for years. He seems happy. He's watching our cats fight and me sweep. It's just this thin line running along the bottom edge of his fin. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :huh:

Guest tooterfish

hi hi

i have a 3 and a half year old comet.. arent they wonderful!

from reading on this board,

black on the fins (especially around the edges, though it can occur elsewhere)

is a sign of ammonia burns, that are now healing. The black is like a scab, where the thin delicate area of the fin is affected by ammonia.

if your fish has grown, as you've said, he is producing more waste (fish waste is ammonia)

i would make sure to up your water changes.

if you dont have an ammonia testing kit (i didnt either until just recently)

you could take a sample of your water to your local pet store, they can test it for you and give you the numbers

the tests they do are Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH, you ask for the numbers, not just OK

a perfect tank has: ammonia = 0, nitrites = 0, nitrates = under 20ppm, pH = 7.2-7.4

if yours isnt perfect, dont worry.

ammonia you want under 1,

nitrites you want under 1,

nitrates you want under 50

if they are high, you can bring them down with water changes

dont have a test AND cannot get to the pet store?

then do more water changes,

vacuum the gravel and make sure the tank is clean.

once you get him feeling better, add an additional day to change water to your cleaning schedule to keep up with his wastes.

i hope this helped a little.. -Tooter

Guest kbyers

Well I changed Speedy's water early and put an ammonia controler in the water. I thought my water treater had enough in it. I was wrong. I do think he may have a burn scap. He's never had anything like this before. He seems fine. He's digging up all of his plants after I put them down in the bottom of his tank. :) He's eating well too.

Guest tooterfish

keeping the water levels good, the blackness will eventually go away.

i have a 7in comet, and growing,

he was/is an orange color, though not as deep as when he was younger.

Mine too has spots. His run from his head down his back along either side of the dorsal fin, his reflect gold when viewed from above.

these are the "age" spots you are refering to?

i'm glad speedy is on the mend :)

p.s. just keep an eye on his "torn" fins, with the clean water they should heal.

Guest kbyers

Speedy is doing better everyday. I am going out this weekend to pick up, salt and water treatment. His tail fin is looking much better. He is still eating well. He's suck a good boy. He's so tame you can put your hand in the tank and he'll swim into it, and let you hold him. He likes to watch our 4 cats play. Thanks. :lol::P:lol1

Archived