Lost fish during quarantine. Can plant be saved?

Steve1107

Hello,

Please tell us what you think...we just lost a Fancy Goldfish from unknown causes after about weeks 8 of QT. At the same time as the fish, we also got an Anubias to help (maybe a little) with water quality and to help give the little fish a more inviting home.

Now the poor fish has died but the Anubias is doing great.

In the past, we've used 10 mg potassium permanganate per liter of water x 15 minutes (about 2.5mL Jungle Clear Water per U.S. quart of water) for plant quarantine. Do you think it would be safe to treat the plant with KMnO4 and then move it into the regular tank with all the healthy fish?

Thank you for your input,

Steve

I've not used PP before, but many on here do and it works just as well. So I can't say much on the subject of it.

I personally would leave them for 24 hours with either disinfectant, just to be sure everything has been cleaned away. :)

People prefer bleach over PP basically due to the accessability of it. Also people who are sensitive to chemicals can have a reactions from diluting the PP. Since this plant has already been in QT for an extensive period of time I bet we can rule out snails which is the main reason to dip twice.

A PP dip with a 12-24 hr dechlor rinse is perfect and then it can be added to the main tank :thumbs:

It sounds like a beautiful plant!

@Heidi030

Thank you for your kind support. Poor little fish :( He had such a sweet friendly personality.

Forum posters seem to be preferring bleach and ChelseaM mentioned 1:19 dilution. How long should the plant stay in the bleach solution, and is this OK for Anubias species?

We've used PP in past. Although I can't prove that even after PP this plant didn't make our little QT fish sick, other than that, no known incidents. I don't think the plants we've treated with PP (Anubias, mostly) would last through 24 hours' treatment with PP. If left for much more than 15 minutes, their roots seem to change from green to brown & they either don't make it at all or don't thrive afterwards.

@bodoba

Thanks -- our posts must have crossed in transit just now

How long would you recommend the plant stay in the bleach solution, please?

And you're exactly right! Ironically the QT Anubias is growing and doing great, now nice & green & bushy.

Bleach tends to be harsher on the plants than potassium permanganate. If you're disinfecting delicate plants then I'd opt for the PP, but since this is a fairly hardy anubias, bleach is fine. Just follow the ratio bodoba mentioned and you will be fine.

It's 4 hrs min- 12hrs max then a 12-24 hrs rinse. This is just a disinfection. It would be longer if we were dealing with snails. :)

Are you sure with this time period, Una? I only ask because I've always read 2-3 minutes at this ratio of bleach to water. Any longer would prove fatal—be it a delicate or hardy plant.

Thanks for the scholarly discussion!

What's the consensus on how long to keep the plant in chlorine solution?

2-5 mins bath according to both the CDC and the food and agricultural products center. I would aim for around there as well :)

It depends on the plant. I just did a bleach solution (1 part bleach, 20 part water) for a huge bunch of egeria densa today and even though it wasn't even two minutes, some of it went white. I now have it in double primed clean water and it should recover once under my tank light but I've never heard of it being in the bleach water for four hours.. :yikes

ETA: 2 - 5 sounds about right! Just keep an eye on it. :)

Edited by Chai

It depends on the plant. I just did a bleach solution (1 part bleach, 20 part water) for a huge bunch of egeria densa today and even though it wasn't even two minutes, some of it went white. I now have it in double primed clean water and it should recover once under my tank light but I've never heard of it being in the bleach water for four hours.. :yikes

My apologies I misread the question earlier as dan pointed out. The 4 hrs duration was for a PP bath and not bleach. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :(

My apologies I misread the question earlier as dan pointed out. The 4 hrs duration was for a PP bath and not bleach. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :(
It's okay. :D:hug