Bottom Sitting Goldfish

image_zpsdecb70a4.jpg

My goldfish has been bottom sitting all day today and yesterday as well. His fins flap similar to a heartbeat, sudden and quick (not trying to be poetic, sorry) and he does not move around the tank at all.

This is all in ppm unit.

Ammonia level is 0.25 (tank)

Nitrite level is 0.25 (tank)

Nitrate level is 20 (tank)

pH level is questionable.

image_zps10f4fc03.jpg

That is my pH. The right side shows HIGH RANGE pH and the other side shows regular pH. I tested the water using the HIGH RANGE pH test solution, but the result looks closer to the lowest pH on the regular pH side. It looks like 6.0 not 7.4. I got a pH regulator from Marineland. Should I use it?

The brand of test kit is API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT. The temperature is 70 degrees. Tank

size is 10 gallons (I know, I know, I am moving the fish to a 40 gallon next week.) It's been running for three months. I got it last week from my science teacher. I changed 60% of the water two days ago. That was MY first time changing water. I used the Jungle Start Right conditioner. There is only one goldfish. No medications, no unusual findings on the fish, I said the unusual behavior at the beginning. I recently (today actually) (halfway through the last paragraph) got a tetra whisper replacement for a borrowed air pump that I returned to my science teacher. It has been running for roughly five or ten minutes and the fish is now moving around. Did I just right the last paragraph for nothing? Is that all my goldfish needed?

Wait for a mod to take any advice, but do you have a filter on the tank? If not, or it isn't cycled (your ammonia and nitrites should be 0) the behavior may be simply from water quality issues. It may be something else (something a mod would help determine), but bad water can be the root cause of many problems.

Could you please test your pH with the regular pH range test, not the high pH test kit? Also please test your tap water pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

And, like Avepico requested, let us know if you have a filter and if so the brand and model.

Thanks. :D

Edited by fantailfan1

I have no filter. Right now, all I have is a tiny plastic tank with my tetra whisper. I have all the supplies ready for a 40 gallon except a usually expensive filter I found online for a good deal. I will set up as soon as I get the filter, don't worry.

My tap water's pH is oddly a lot higher than the tank's water. It is 7.6 pH according to the chart.

image_zps01bbed80.jpg

The rest including Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia were all 0 ppm.

It looks like your pH is between 7.4 and 7.6 then. If you test your tap pH and it is in the same range then you are fine to do large water changes.

In the interim of a filter. Could you get some filter floss and wrap it around the air stone? I have used this trick when without a filter, It makes a rudimenatry sponge filter, the params still need to be checked but normally it allows cycle bacteria to attach in an area with high aeration in it.

For right now, just check your params daily. If you have 0.25 ammonia do a large water change. Also let us know how deep the gravel is. Gravel collects waste and raises the ammonia.