one sick little red oranda... need advise

fish died day after i moved him to the separate container on the 8th as i thought he would.. not sure why i never have any luck keeping fish alive if i take them out of the big tank. i guess it might be better if i kept it running all the time, but i wouldnt know how to keep it cycled with no fish in it. when i set up a separate container i put an air pump and hob filter and take bio balls n sponges out of my big cansiter and put it in the hob filter hoping there would be good bacteria in it. not sure what else to do. medicated food wont be here until today or tomorrow but now i dont need it.. guess it will be good to have on hand if it doesnt spoil. finally got most of the other orandas sold off. now theres 3 fish in my 40 G.

fish died day after i moved him to the separate container on the 8th as i thought he would.. not sure why i never have any luck keeping fish alive if i take them out of the big tank. i guess it might be better if i kept it running all the time, but i wouldnt know how to keep it cycled with no fish in it. when i set up a separate container i put an air pump and hob filter and take bio balls n sponges out of my big cansiter and put it in the hob filter hoping there would be good bacteria in it. not sure what else to do. medicated food wont be here until today or tomorrow but now i dont need it.. guess it will be good to have on hand if it doesnt spoil. finally got most of the other orandas sold off. now theres 3 fish in my 40 G.

I am so sorry to hear this :(

Most here do not keep their QT up and running when it is not in use (there's really no reason to do this). There are a couple ways to run a QT. Many here prefer to run their QT uncycled and do a 100% water change daily - this has many benefits including ensuring the fish is in good clean water the whole time they are sick. It can get tricky though if your tap pH is very low.

The other thing to do (which is what I do) is to keep some extra media in your cycled main tank filter at all times. I usually keep an extra bag of ceramic biomedia in my filter for this purpose. Then, add the cycled media to your QT filter when you set it up. It is still important to test the water daily to make sure your seeded media provides a stable cycle, and daily water changes are also routinely recommended as a part of the QT process.

The only issue I can think of that would cause a fish to die when moved to QT beyond the obvious water quality issue is if somehow something got into the QT tank during storage (e.g. spilled cleaning products etc.) that could then get into the water when you fill it up. Just to be on the safe side I always clean out my QT thoroughly with a diluted bleach solution before and after QT.

EDIT: unopened and stored in a cool dry dark place, the meds should be good for at least a year