Thinking of buying a 72 gallon tank...

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to goldfish keeping. I recently acquired or shall I say rescued two common goldfish from my niece and nephew. I've grown pretty attached to these guys and I'm looking to upgrade to a Fluval Profile 1000. Here is the link for the tank specs: http://www.wayfair.com/Hagen-Fluval-Profile-Complete-72-Gallon-Aquarium-Set-with-Silver-Trim-15840-3-6-HGE1679.html?piid%5B%5D=6325329

It is sold as an aquarium kit. Any thoughts? More importantly, will this be large enough to house my two goldfish? They are currently 2" each.

Thanks Au-fish! I've been searching online and it's hard to find a concrete number as far as how many gallons I need to keep a single-tailed goldfish. I was possibly thinking of adding a third common once I upgrade to that tank but that would be my max.

Please adopt me, and then buy me one of these tanks too, please! :rofl

hahaha sure!

What he didn't tell you is that he comes with a demanding chihuahua. :rofl2

Shhhhhhhhhh! :rofl

Anyway, to answer your question, the tank is surely big enough for 2 planned goldfish. However, I don't think filtration is enough for the 2 of them, and you can definitely get a better set up put together, if you do it on your own.

If it's help you need for all of that, people here will be all too happy to help. :)

Please adopt me, and then buy me one of these tanks too, please! :rofl

hahaha sure!

What he didn't tell you is that he comes with a demanding chihuahua. :rofl2

Shhhhhhhhhh! :rofl

Anyway, to answer your question, the tank is surely big enough for 2 planned goldfish. However, I don't think filtration is enough for the 2 of them, and you can definitely get a better set up put together, if you do it on your own.

If it's help you need for all of that, people here will be all too happy to help. :)

Phew, thanks for the heads up fantail! :) I think it's "the coolness factor" that's been attracting me to this tank versus its actual performance. Anyhow, some suggestions for a complete setup would definitely be appreciated, thanks!

The general rule of thumb is 10Xs filtration. If you have a 72 gallon tank you'll want to have at least 720 gallons per hour filtration. Many of us prefer to run 2 filters so that if one breaks down and/or when cleaning the filter, you have a back up.

Many people here love the AquaClear filters. They are relatively inexpensive and quite powerful. Here is a link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3610

And I see someone just add a reply. Probably dnalex sniping me . . . again. :rofl

The set up is fine. The only thing I would change is instead of the 305 canister, you should go with the FX5.

But will it fit inside that stand?. The FX5 is a big canister filter.

The set up is fine. The only thing I would change is instead of the 305 canister, you should go with the FX5.

But will it fit inside that stand?. The FX5 is a big canister filter.

Of course it is, and this is a great question for the salesrep. :)

Thanks for the help guys! Since the kit already comes with a Fluval 305 Canister Filter, I would kind of be stuck with it. :-l Would pairing it with one of the aquaclear filters that fantailfan suggested work? If so, which one would you recommend?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum, That tank is beautiful. If you purchase it I sure will be looking forward to seeing photo's/video's of it all set up and with your fish in it. How exciting. :)

You had asked if this tank would be big enough for your commons and maybe adding another one.

I don't own any commons but I think they require 30 gallons per fish. I could be wrong. I think they need more space then your fancy goldfish. And if I am wrong Please correct me someone. :)

Edited by 4prettyfish

I'm going to be the lone dissenter. It's plenty of room for 2-3 GF but:

(1) It's a taller tank, which means that not only will it be hard to reach all the way to the bottom, but it is also far less surface area than a longer, less tall tank. My 90 gal, for instance, is 5 feet long and 19" tall--far more surface area than a 90 that is 25" tall and shorter. And surface area is VERY important to fish b/c that's how they get their oxygen.

(2) It's very expensive. You can find large tanks w/ all the stuff included on Craig's list very inexpensively. My 90 came w/ stand, lights, heater, a bunch of other stuff AND an Eheim 2217 canister filter--all for $400.

If I were you, I would look for a longer, less tall tank with some extras. :)

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to goldfish keeping. I recently acquired or shall I say rescued two common goldfish from my niece and nephew. I've grown pretty attached to these guys and I'm looking to upgrade to a Fluval Profile 1000. Here is the link for the tank specs: http://www.wayfair.com/Hagen-Fluval-Profile-Complete-72-Gallon-Aquarium-Set-with-Silver-Trim-15840-3-6-HGE1679.html?piid%5B%5D=6325329

It is sold as an aquarium kit. Any thoughts? More importantly, will this be large enough to house my two goldfish? They are currently 2" each.

That's a really nice kit...but expensive! Whew...

I'm going to be the lone dissenter. It's plenty of room for 2-3 GF but:

(1) It's a taller tank, which means that not only will it be hard to reach all the way to the bottom, but it is also far less surface area than a longer, less tall tank. My 90 gal, for instance, is 5 feet long and 19" tall--far more surface area than a 90 that is 25" tall and shorter. And surface area is VERY important to fish b/c that's how they get their oxygen.

(2) It's very expensive. You can find large tanks w/ all the stuff included on Craig's list very inexpensively. My 90 came w/ stand, lights, heater, a bunch of other stuff AND an Eheim 2217 canister filter--all for $400.

If I were you, I would look for a longer, less tall tank with some extras. :)

But it looks cool!!! hahaha I do see what you're saying...which is starting to give me some doubts. It is pricey but it looks well made, I think? Do you think it seems like a ripoff? Anyhow, thanks for all of the input guys. I'll have to scope out craigslist before I make my purchase. I'll be sure to post pics of the final product 4prettyfish. :)

I would pay that price if that is the tank I really wanted. :) It is expensive but from what I've heard, Fluval makes great tanks. You could check out some used ones but I doubt you will find anything that nice used. Another option would be checking out rimless glass tanks or acrylic tanks that have a similar modern/sleek look. I bet you could find one for half that price, but you would have to buy filtration, a stand, a light, etc. So you'll end up spending a similar amount in the end or a few hundred less, but you would also have a more customized setup. ;)

Ms. Jenny, it definitely is the tank I want! :fishtank I've been eyeing it for quite some time now. You just made me feel a little less guilty about buying it. 'sides, I've got a coupon for 10% off haha. :I-Thank-You: