Plants...Super Glue Setting time?

jmetzger72

I'm adding some new Java Fern and Anubias. But this time I'm using super glue. What is the necessary setting time for the glue before I put the plants back into the tank?

• Supporter

i would leave it for about 5 mins out of the water. then add it to some primed water in a bucket.. wait 10 mins, rinse and add it to the tank.

my guess is from my experiences with superglue that the moment it hits the water, it pretty much sets immediately. so incase of any free flowing glue particles, i would set it in a separate bucket and then add it.

i would leave it for about 5 mins out of the water. then add it to some primed water in a bucket.. wait 10 mins, rinse and add it to the tank.

my guess is from my experiences with superglue that the moment it hits the water, it pretty much sets immediately. so incase of any free flowing glue particles, i would set it in a separate bucket and then add it.

Thanks, Helen...now, more importantly...how do I get it off my fingers :yikes

• Supporter

Thanks, Helen...now, more importantly...how do I get it off my fingers :yikes

you know how i did it? :rofl

i soaked in a bath.. you know, got granny wrinkles on my fingers.. yes, 2 hours of soaking :tomuch:

then as soon as i got out, i put hand cream off & the glue just came off with very little effort :)

• Supporter

^ yes, but it also turns your skin white, dries up your cuticles and stinks for days. why use something harsh when you can kill two birds with one stone and have a nice relaxing bath followed up by some pampering hand creme? :rofl

#2.. you're spoiling the mood! :rofl

• Supporter

it really does look wonderful! but, did you glue the plant direct? i am not sure if this will rot the glued part of the plant. i really do not know. you can PM Sean (Acro). he seems to do well will affixing plants like these to ornaments and driftwood, not sure if he's attached real plants to rocks or crystal. if he doesn't use glue, perhaps he can share with you some tips on how to keep the plants affixed to objects without glue? or he could very well confirm that using glue with plants is fine.

I glue all my plants directly to the rock. :idont I try and glue the rhizome and leave the roots to rest on the rock . ..

The plants look fantastic!! :nana What a gorgeous tank! :clapping:

And, if you ever need to get Nishiki or Maruko off your hands, I'd be more than willing to make the 3 hour drive to Chicago and pick them up. :rofl2 Such gorgeous fish.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get Maruko? :D

it really does look wonderful! but, did you glue the plant direct? i am not sure if this will rot the glued part of the plant. i really do not know. you can PM Sean (Acro). he seems to do well will affixing plants like these to ornaments and driftwood, not sure if he's attached real plants to rocks or crystal. if he doesn't use glue, perhaps he can share with you some tips on how to keep the plants affixed to objects without glue? or he could very well confirm that using glue with plants is fine.

Ok, I have had others on the site tell me they directly glued their plants. I guess we'll find out if they rot or not! Thanks.

I glue all my plants directly to the rock. :idont I try and glue the rhizome and leave the roots to rest on the rock . ..

The plants look fantastic!! :nana What a gorgeous tank! :clapping:

And, if you ever need to get Nishiki or Maruko off your hands, I'd be more than willing to make the 3 hour drive to Chicago and pick them up. :rofl2 Such gorgeous fish.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get Maruko? :D

Oh, good! That's how I glued mine. I only buy the plants that come in the plastic tubs with the gel around the roots. And I still dip them in PP. I am totally Flukaphobic now!!!

I got both Nishiki and Maruko at Old Town Aquarium in Chicago. They were both small and unimpressive, but showed potential. Maruko(only $12.99 - steal!) had no head growth but had a perfect curve to her back. She also had good balance in the water. As she grew, the wen began to appear particularly on the cheeks under her eyes. Nishiki cost me about $27.00 and gradually developed the Ryukin hump as well as her "robust" figure...lol. Her tail really grew as well.

So, I feel like Old Town Aquarium picks healthy young fish with good potential for each breed's desired traits. But since they are fairly selective, they usually only have one or two tanks of goldfish. I can keep my eye out for a Ranchu if you want one. I'm am going by there today.

OK, I'd like a ranchu with Nishiki's calico pattern. That's not asking too much is it? :rofl

I am looking for a ranchu and no one around here carries them regularly. I've got a couple of lfs with my name and "calico ranchu" on their list so if they get one they will call me but I'm not holding my breath. :rofl I even had my husband go to a lfs in North Carolina when he was there on business. :rofl

And a ranchu with no head growth is perfect for me as I'm a little creeped out by wens. I love Maruko's chubby cheeks. :heart

Do you now if Old Town Aquarium ships? Shoot, we were just in Chicago for spring break . . . I may need to make another trip! :rofl

Ah...you want an "Edo Nishiki". I am totally bummed, I just gave one away a few months ago because I didn't have the room! I would have rather given it to you. However, I have seen more of those at Chicago Aquarium. I will check there for you as well.

:thud There is a name for that calico pattern? You learn something new everyday. :D

Please don't go out of your way looking but if you happen to be going somewhere and you see one . . . :ehh

:rofl

Sorry to have derailed your thread BTW. :peeka