I Think I Am Like The Gf Nazi!

Guest sushi

Guest sushi

OK.....I have had my tank set up for over a month now. I put 3 fish in it about a week ago. One developed fin rot within a day or two nad I put him in a hospital tank to treat. I used salt, got the water temp up, then used Maracide but he still got worse and died. Now my other fish has ich and the last one has fin rot!!! What am I doing wrong. Maybe I am not meant to have GF. I monitor the levels at least once daily, sometimes more. I have 80 gallon filter for a 30 gallon tank. And I have been doing water changes with water that has been treated and set out 48 hrs with an airstone. UHGGGGG!!!!! Poor fishies.

Guest sushi

My ammonia is at .25 and my pH is between 7.8 and 8.4 in the test strip. I have been doing daily 25% water changes and the ammonia hasn't changed at all. Maybe I need to do a more serious change.

Guest tooterfish

hi hi

i've noticed that some people who have added salt have a harder time getting their ammonia to 0 (is there a connection? i dont know yet)

but ammonia of .25 is ok above 1 is a concern.

you didnt list your nitrites these too can cause stress, and with your new tank, you want to watch for this number too.

Ich is always there, and is only a factor when the fish becomes weakened or stressed.

tail and fin streaks and split, same thing - water quality and stress (although it can also be caused by bacteria, or can lead to a bacterial infection)

ok.. take a deep breath...

if all your tests are coming up in the "OK" range, then its not ammonia, nitrites stressing your fish, its something else in your water.

i want you to test your tap water for all its levels

i want you to test your sitting water for all its levels

then test your tank water for all its levels. (alot of testing, i know)

do you have ornaments in your tank? driftwood, a shell, or something that might be hollow made?

Remember too, you may not know where these fish have come from, or the conditions they have been in, you can do everything right, but the fish were sick before you got them. dont beat yourself up too much, it is frustrating,

Learn, Modify, and try again :)

-Tooter

Archived