What does new wen growth pimples look like?

Hi, I'm Kristin.I am new here! :)

I have a 3 inch Oranda (head to tail) in a 20 gallon tank. He or she has 2 small white spots on it's wen (about a week). It seems to be nothing. I do frequent small water changes anyway (2 gallons every other day) & when I do the water change, the spots seem to shrink in size. I am thinking it is debri getting caught in there. I was just wondering about wen growth though & what it looks like.

He is not flashing or trying to scratch himself. He is a great eater & very active.

If fungus (or bacteria?) suspected (I do not suspect ich), what do I treat it with? Is there a medication that I can use that will not disrupt a cycled tank? Mine is well cycled.

While not ideal, I do have a tiny calico telescope fish in the tank with the Oranda. My husband put him in there as a present for my daughter. He is 1 inch long. The only other inhabitant is a mystery snail, some Hornwort & Marimo moss balls. I am looking into re-homing the other little fish, just don't know how to do it without upsetting my daughter.....

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-40ppm

PH-7.4

Thanks!!!

Do you have a pic? I suspect it's just normal wen growth which does not need any sort of treatment, but a pic will confirm that.

Edited by sarajo

Also, your nitrates are a little high. With 2 goldfish in a 20 gallon you are overstocked. I suggest doing more like 50% water changes every few days until you are able to upgrade/rehome the other fish. 2 gallons just isn't enough. Alternatively, you can buy a 30 gallon sterilite tub for under $10 to house them temporarily.

Edited by sarajo

I'm wondering the same thing too. My oranda used to have a white (barely fuzzy) dot on her wen that did nothing for weeks. Then I did praziquantel treatment (treats flukes and doesn't mess with the cycle) for other reasons and the spot disappeared. I think the parasite acted like dirt.

If someone could post a pic of wen growth, that'd be nice.

Welcome, Kristin! I think goldfish look good in pairs. You could always upgrade and use your current tank as hospital/emergency tank. *nudge nudge* Goldfish are very sweet :D

Well, I had Yoshi the Oranda by himself in a 10 gallon for 1 year. He grew & I upgraded to a 20 gallon. Then, my husband put the little guy in there (slap to head) How do I post a picture? I have a cell phone that takes ok pictures. A digital camera somewhere.

Would a planted tank cause higher nitrates or? I have Horwort that is starting to take off, but it is still isn't much. I know that stuff can run wild.

If you don't have a photobucket account, you can upload your images to imgur.com from your cellphone and post the link to it here. :)

Plants feed off the nitrates, but since you are overstocked as it is, those plants won't take care of that many nitrates. Water changes are key. Would you mind testing your tap parameters? Particularly the nitrates.

For posting pics, you can upload them to a photo hosting site (such as photobucket) and then link them to Koko's. I know they're hard to get photos of, try putting him in a small tupperware container so he doesn't have anywhere to go :rofl

Edited by sarajo

Hi Kristin, firstly may I welcome to to the site? :welcome

I had a similar concern not long ago, and received some valuable help from Helen....you can view the series of posts at....http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110573-please-help-my-oranda-is-growing-a-second-head/

Best of luck with your efforts!! :hi

Ok. Thanks. I will look at it. So far, I can't get a picture of the fish that isn't blurry. They are two small white spots that are recessed into the wen right now. Seems like they are sticky or something, cuz debri gets caught in it. Water changes seem to flush it out so to speak.

Question about the other fish that was recently added. Can he go into a pond? There are goldfish fry in there at present, so he wouldn't be the smallest fish. Lots of cover too. My parent's have a pond with comets.

Welcome!

Could you please copy and paste and fill out all the questions below (I see you gave tank water values, if you could test your tap also that would be fantastic!) And as other have said, a picture or video would be helpful in determining if this is something to be concerned about or not :)

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level
    • * Nitrite Level
    • * Nitrate level
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
      • * Any new fish added to the tank?
      • * Any medications added to the tank?
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

A video might be easier if you are having trouble getting clear pics. The other thing you can do is to scoop your fish into a clear tupperware container and take video/pictures in there... it will help keep him a little stiller for you ;)

All test kits are API drops. I do not have KH or GH or Chloramines

Temp currently is 74. No heater. It's just getting warm in Georgia

Tank size is 20 gallons. I realize I have one too many fish

Water changes is 2-4 gallons every other day

2 total fish.

Water additives are only Stress Zyme

Feed pellets in a.m & a veggie in the p.m (Spinach & de-skinned peas are what are in the house right now just from our family dinners)

The telescope fish is new

No meds

Filtration is a Topfin 30 (which I think is 250gph) & also a Topfin 20 (150 gph) I clean the filters by a simple rinse in the used aquarium water only

Sorry I didn't paste the info I just realized.

Tap water PH still reads 7.4

No Ammonia, or nitrites.

Nitrates 20 ppm

Tank water is the same except the nitrates in the tank water are 40 ppm

Great! thank you for the video and all the info :)

The video is unfortunately a bit blurry so I was unable to see the spot you are talking about.

Can you tell me, do the white spots look soft/fuzzy or like a hard pimple/white head?

Is there any redness around the white spots?

Hard pimple, recessed into the wen. Food/plant debri seems to stick to it & flap around. Water changes seem to help with the debri, but the spot remains. It is not fuzzy or red.

Okay, I'd like to give it a little more time. Often these things will work themselves out without intervention, and given that he is still active and eating I think we can take a wait and see approach here.

Please keep checking back in here and let us know how things look. If you see any hint of redness or if the spots begin to get larger/deeper, that would be of concern.

I would also like you to increase your water changes. A minimum of a 50-80% water change weekly is recommended in an appropriately stocked tank. When you are overstocked it is best to do more frequent water changes. Typically I would recommend a 50-80% water change every 4-5 days with your stocking situation, but with the potential wen issues going on right now I would like you to do even more frequent water changes until this passes. A daily 50-80% change would be ideal if it works with your schedule. If not, try for every other day at minimum :)

You are also at a disadvantage with 20 ppm of nitrates in your tap. Ideally, you want to keep nitrates under 20 ppm, 40 ppm is generally considered the absolute max, but fancies can sometimes be sensitive to nitrates above 20, which is why we aim to keep it under that.

The extra water changes should help to at least keep the nitrates closer to the 20ppm mark. Other things you can consider is adding live plants to the tank (however you need a pretty significant number of plants to make a dent in nitrates), or others with nitrate issues have set up barrels of water with large amounts of plants in them and then use that water for water changes. Stem plants like anacharis, water wisteria, penny wort, and water sprite for example are often thought to be good nitrate busting plants. Pothos plants are also a really great easy option - only the roots hang in the water. There are several threads on using pothos for nitrate reduction on the forum but here is one good one to get you started http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95321-the-amazing-pothos/

Please make sure you disinfect any aquatic plants you get with a light bleach solution before adding them to the tank (if you decide to get any plants and need help with this just ask ;) )

In regard to your question about the pond, I don't see any reason your other fish would not be able to go in the pond :) they are both very cute btw!

Thank you! I will increase the water changes & volume to which I take out as well. I will monitor a few times a day. I was examining Yoshi with an LED flashlight in addition to the aquarium lighting. My husband was cocking his head to one side! I had no idea that 40 ppm was high. Very very good to know. I don't know why I had it in my head to keep it under 100 ppm. How crazy for me to think that! :o

Thank you! I will increase the water changes & volume to which I take out as well. I will monitor a few times a day. I was examining Yoshi with an LED flashlight in addition to the aquarium lighting. My husband was cocking his head to one side! I had no idea that 40 ppm was high. Very very good to know. I don't know why I had it in my head to keep it under 100 ppm. How crazy for me to think that! :o

Great! Keep us updated on how things look :)

In terms of the nitrates, you will get different answers regarding what is considered 'high' depending on who you talk to and what kind of fish they keep. But the general consensus on this forum is under 20 ppm is the goal for goldfish in particular. This is simply because fancies tend to be sensitive to higher nitrate values. Given your tap situation, I think attempting to keep things under 40 ppm is a reasonable goal though :)

So, I have increased the water changes, no change yet, but no worse. I was thinking about purchasing from Goldfishconnection the medi-gold & jump start as a precaution.

Has anyone used this? I want to have it in the house anyway so......

Yes, and get Metro-Meds while you are at it.

HOWEVER, I must tell you that this is not something to be treating with any meds, and doing so will not get you any results and could harm the fish.