What do I need to move my goldfish?

Currently my commen goldfish is in a 10 gallon plastic tank with an air pump. There are also 5 baby snails in the tank. I want to move them to my glass 40 gallon tank. What do I need (equipment/supplies) for a 40 gallon tank? I got this tank from my science teacher and I think it is too small for the goldfish and snails. Also, if I put a water filter in my 40 gallon tank, do I still need to do water changes? If so, how often? And how? This is my first goldfish and I want it to be healthy. If someone could give me a basic list of things to get or advice that would be a great help. Thank you!

Hi Inception,

Congratulations on your new tank. The 40 gallon will be a great tank for your fish and your snails (although you might find that you end up with too many snails :). A good filter is needed to keep your critter healthy. Many people on the forum like HOB - hang on the back - filters like Aquaclears. They give you a lot of filtration for not a lot of money.

Yes, you will still need to do weekly water changes. Buying a test kit like the API drop test for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates will help you keep your water chemistry monitored. Remember a water conditioner like Amquel or Prime for water changes.

So, first on your shopping list - Good, big enough filter, Test Kit and Water Conditioner.

If you could upload a picture of the tank, other members could chime in and give you some advice. :)

Water changes need to be done in every aquarium. Even the largest ones get them. :) You'll need to do at least fifty percent once a week, preferably 75-80 percent if possible.

Here is what I can recommend that you purchase:

• Filtration totaling 400gph (gallons per hour) HOBs are the cheaper option. :)
  • Filter media (ceramic bioballs, filter floss) so that you won't have to use the cartridges, which are not recommended.
  • A large bottle of either seachem prime or amquel plus water conditioner
  • the API Freshwater Master Test Kit
  • a water change system like a Python or an Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer. This helps to eliminate carrying buckets because it just hooks to your sink. If you have to use buckets, please invest in a gravel siphon even if you don't want gravel! There are plenty of cheap gravel siphons.
  • Safe cleaning supplies like paper towel or sponges with no chemical additives, maybe an algae scraper or scrubber
  • a thermometer
Edited by ChelseaM

For one fish and a few snails in a 40 gallon I would get the highest flowing HOB I could find and I would change half the water weekly if possible. That's not a big load for a 40g so it should be easy to maintain.

You will love your upgraded tank. Especially after you get all the "stuff" to keep it up...filter, siphon & etc!! Then resist the urge to add a gazillion more goldfish!!! (NOT an easy thing to resist, but a must).

Goldfish tanks take a fair amount of work....but once you get it all sorted out becomes routine & fairly easy! THEN you have to remember to just sit back and watch the beauty of your goldies swimming around!! ((Oops...wait..is that a plant uprooted...I Gotta Go Fix THAT!!) LOL!!

Also, I think I would find one more perfect goldfish and add it to the tank. Goldfish need friends. Then I would change a bit more water each week. Be sure that when you add new water it is the same temperature as the remaining water. A big temperature change is hard on the fish.

Boy is he going to like his new digs! :nana

Remember to fill tanks all the way up; it maximizes the amount of water they have available. When you move to the new tank, you may want to only add a thin layer of gravel/rocks. A couple of people on the forum have had goldfish get gravel stuck in their mouths, so you may want to watch the gravel and mouth size.

One of my goldfish had a rock stuck in its mouth just a few days ago! I think I am going to go mostly bare bottom with just some larger shells or something like that.

Did you buy two aquaclear 50s? You'll need 400gph total filtration, and those only run at half that.

Also, be careful of the gravel for reasons stated by other people above.

E. Also, you still need filter floss to trap debris. :)

But you're off to a great start!

Edited by ChelseaM

Diesel is right. That tank could house two goldfish for a good amount of time. Make sure you get another long-bodied goldfish and not a fancy, just to reduce the competition for food.

Fancies and single tailed goldfish can be housed together. In the majority of cases fancies are just as quick to get food as single tailed fish. And if they are a little bit slower there are ways to work around this such as spreading out the food across the tank (a fish can't be two places at once), hand feeding, or using a tank divider during feeding times. But I think the majority of those that have both fancies and single tails here will tell you that it is not a big issue ;)

Diesel is right. That tank could house two goldfish for a good amount of time. Make sure you get another long-bodied goldfish and not a fancy, just to reduce the competition for food.

Fancies and single tailed goldfish can be housed together. In the majority of cases fancies are just as quick to get food as single tailed fish. And if they are a little bit slower there are ways to work around this such as spreading out the food across the tank (a fish can't be two places at once), hand feeding, or using a tank divider during feeding times. But I think the majority of those that have both fancies and single tails here will tell you that it is not a big issue ;)

I haven't seen anyone keep both before that hasn't had issues. This is totally new to me. Thanks for correcting me, though!

I haven't seen anyone keep both before that hasn't had issues. This is totally new to me. Thanks for correcting me, though!

It is certainly fish specific and I am sure there are those who have had some issues, however there are relatively easy fixes for it, so I wouldn't discount mixing the two ;) Fancies can move pretty darn fast and be competitive when food is involved :P

Yup--My commons lived for years with a fantail and Bubbles thrived. :) I was careful to spread the food out and she seemed to have no problem whatsoever getting the food she needed.

Edited by pawsplus