co2?

Georgia

Hi everyone! I'm setting up a bigger tank for my 2 goldfish(29 gal) and I am planning on doing a minimalistic look with three plants in vases. (And maybe throw in a moss ball or two) I'm looking on getting root feeders like amazon swords, anubias, etc. For the substrate in the vases I'm thinking on putting this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147295&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo. I was wondering if this is enough? Do I need to put co2 as well? If I do, I'll probably get the liquid form that API sells: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11785682&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo. Do you think I need any additional fertilizers?

The floramax will be just fine :) The swords will appreciate a root tab in the vase in addition to the substrate. I have found anubias tend to do better overall tied to a rock or driftwood instead of planted, although I do have a few right now that are planted and are doing fine. Just make sure you don't plant the rhizome ;)

I would personally just start with the root tabs. In most cases goldfish provide enough nutrients to supplement plants without additives. It sounds like your setup will be relatively light (not heavily planted), so I would personally give the plants some time to adjust to the tank and if you are beginning to see browning/yellowing leaves, holes in leaves, or your sword leaves begin to go clear, then I would consider a liquid supplement like Seachem flourish. Same with the co2. I doubt you will need added co2, but it also won't hurt as long as you follow the directions.

what kind of lighting do you have?

The floramax will be just fine :) The swords will appreciate a root tab in the vase in addition to the substrate. I have found anubias tend to do better overall tied to a rock or driftwood instead of planted, although I do have a few right now that are planted and are doing fine. Just make sure you don't plant the rhizome ;)

I would personally just start with the root tabs. In most cases goldfish provide enough nutrients to supplement plants without additives. It sounds like your setup will be relatively light (not heavily planted), so I would personally give the plants some time to adjust to the tank and if you are beginning to see browning/yellowing leaves, holes in leaves, or your sword leaves begin to go clear, then I would consider a liquid supplement like Seachem flourish. Same with the co2. I doubt you will need added co2, but it also won't hurt as long as you follow the directions.

The lighting on my tank is just a regular bulb that came with the hood...The light is not really yellow but white. Maybe I'll try the root tabs if it looks like the plants aren't getting enough nutrients...what brand of root tabs do you recommend? Should I put one in each vase?

The lighting on my tank is just a regular bulb that came with the hood...The light is not really yellow but white. Maybe I'll try the root tabs if it looks like the plants aren't getting enough nutrients...what brand of root tabs do you recommend? Should I put one in each vase?

I use the seachem root tabs, they can be easily found at most pet stores I think http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishTabs.html

Depending on the size of the vase I would think 1/2-1 tab would be just fine.

I use the seachem root tabs, they can be easily found at most pet stores I think http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishTabs.html

Depending on the size of the vase I would think 1/2-1 tab would be just fine.

Okay, thanks Tithra! ;)