Jazz is sucking air.......................AGAIN!

Jazz, my beautiful Calico Fantail, is addicted to drinking air at the water surface. I often feel like THUMPING her little head. I am afraid she will eventually become permanently buoyant!!

This morning she was going at it & the lid was open right where she was & I touched her....just a light touch hoping to get her to STOP! It scared the bejeezus outta her!!! She went into a couple of spinning flips & swam off.

Right now she is right back at it AGAIN! :madrant

Is she ever buoyant? Hoover (RIP) was buoyant after doing that for awhile, but Clementine has never had any issues with it aside from bubbles in her poo and she's been doing it for a longer time.

• Supporter

is the weather warming up over there now hun? is there an increase in the tank's temp? do you have good aeration? have you checked her gills to see if they are normal colour?

what about food, have you recently switched food? and also, do you remember when she was last behaving like this before this time around?

and lastly, are there any new additions either fish, snails or plants that were not qt'd?

is the weather warming up over there now hun? is there an increase in the tank's temp? do you have good aeration? have you checked her gills to see if they are normal colour?

what about food, have you recently switched food? and also, do you remember when she was last behaving like this before this time around?

and lastly, are there any new additions either fish, snails or plants that were not qt'd?

You bring up a lot of good points Helen.

I most likely missed it, but is there a link here to causes/remedies for this?

Jazz, my beautiful Calico Fantail, is addicted to drinking air at the water surface. I often feel like THUMPING her little head. I am afraid she will eventually become permanently buoyant!!

This morning she was going at it & the lid was open right where she was & I touched her....just a light touch hoping to get her to STOP! It scared the bejeezus outta her!!! She went into a couple of spinning flips & swam off.

Right now she is right back at it AGAIN! :madrant

One of my two do the same thing.

It seems to be floaty more then the other one, so I tried soaking the pellets in water for a minute or less and it helped.

Also noticed that when I don't hang around the tank (just spy on them...hidden like a NINJA!), they don't hang out at the top.

I'm guessing they just are waiting up top for more food when they see me.

• Supporter

thank you :)

no, there isn't.. it's just information that i've known to ask having gained experience case after case with similar symptoms.

causes are basically outlined in my questions to Jeana..

for example..

is the weather warmer there? is the temp in the tank warmer? i ask this because warmer temperatures reduce the dissolved oxygen in the tank and we compensate by adding extra aeration via airstones or airwands, preferably positioned away from the tank walls so that the fish can swim through the bubbles and receive benefit from them.

gill colour? sometimes a little bit of nitrite exposure can create irritation to the gills, we can determine this by the colour of the actual gills. if slightly to a purple than red, then this can be a cause for surface gulping. it means that the gills are not functioning like they should so the fish is compensating by air intake at the surface.

change of food? this can sometimes cause a fish to surface gulp.. different ingredients can affect the individual differently from it's tank mates. sometimes, by pure luck, you find a food that everyone's happy with and it stays the favourite. then you go an change something and one may behave differently from the other. this can also cause surface gulping.

any new additions without being qt'd? i ask this because gill/mouth flukes can also cause a fish to surface gulp.

:doh11: Dang it!! I didn't even give it a thought...I slightly soaked a few Saki-Hikari pellets this morning & dropped them in. She was at the other end eating the Rapashy I had put in. BUT she came down & probably snatched up a couple of pellets!! I totally forgot she is inclined to float if pellets aren't TOTALLY soaked. I have gotten to where I rarely add them!

I'll just have to be more careful & REALLLY soak the heck out of them when I use them!!! :wall

no, there isn't.. it's just information that i've known to ask having gained experience case after case with similar symptoms.

for example..

is the weather warmer there? is the temp in the tank warmer? i ask this because warmer temperatures reduce the dissolved oxygen in the tank and we compensate by adding extra aeration via airstones or airwands, preferably positioned away from the tank walls so that the fish can swim through the bubbles and receive benefit from them.

gill colour? sometimes a little bit of nitrite exposure can create irritation to the gills, we can determine this by the colour of the actual gills. if slightly to a purple than red, then this can be a cause for surface gulping. it means that the gills are not functioning like they should so the fish is compensating by air intake at the surface.

change of food? this can sometimes cause a fish to surface gulp.. different ingredients can affect the individual differently from it's tank mates. sometimes, by pure luck, you find a food that everyone's happy with and it stays the favourite. then you go an change something and one may behave differently from the other. this can also cause surface gulping.

any new additions without being qt'd? i ask this because gill/mouth flukes can also cause a fish to surface gulp.

You are like a fish wizard.

...since I can't find the emoticon for that...I like this one with the fish in the car. :gcar:

• Supporter

:doh11: Dang it!! I didn't even give it a thought...I slightly soaked a few Saki-Hikari pellets this morning & dropped them in. She was at the other end eating the Rapashy I had put in. BUT she came down & probably snatched up a couple of pellets!! I totally forgot she is inclined to float if pellets aren't TOTALLY soaked. I have gotten to where I rarely add them!

I'll just have to be more careful & REALLLY soak the heck out of them when I use them!!! :wall

give it a shot hun, that could be the problem here. but do check the tank's temperature if the weather is warming up in your area. this could also be a contributing factor.

also, i tend to not feed a variety of food when i feed my goldies.. sometimes, if a fish is quicker than others, it can result in overfeeding of the individual as there are attractive food smells all over the place and they go crazy :rofl

• Supporter

for example..

...since I can't find the emoticon for that...I like this one with the fish in the car. :gcar:

:rofl thank you for the compliment! i like the car too! :)

:gcar:

for example..

:rofl thank you for the compliment! i like the car too! :)

:gcar:

Hey...yours moves!

Awesome.

I had unplugged the heater on yesterday @ 4:30 pm & was going to let the tank just level out (I read there's little need to keep the heater on through the warmer months) I unplugged it yesterday at 4:30 pm the temp was 81.9.......it has VERY gradually lowered....today at 2:00pm it is 80.2. This seems ok.

What's ya'll think? Do you run heaters all year or shut them down?

• Supporter

my heaters stay in the tank all year 'round. however, they are only plugged in and operational 3-4 months a year. they are currently on as it's winter here now. but i only just plugged them in a few weeks ago.

with those temps, i would leave your heaters off through summer :)'

any improvement with your fish?

I hear you and feel for you and your fish Jeana. I'm having problems with most of my fish due to my tank water conditions. Some are hanging on the surface. I'm having ammonia and nitrite problems. Alex is helping me with that. I hope your fish gets to feeling good soon.

HELEN: Thanks for all the wonderful information you gave out. I too was reading it all. :)

Temp seems to have leveled off to 79.5. Jazz is swimming just fine now. (She has an unnerving habit of occasionally "swimming upstream" in the overflow of the Aquaclear 110.)

All morning she has just swam around like all is well. (I often think my fish do things now & then just to TICK ME OFF!!)

She still occasionally gets bouyant....but she habitually swims upstream against the overflow current from the Aquaclear 110. When she does this she almost appears to be Hypnotised !!

Yep...it irritates me a SHE KNOWS IT!!

Jazz remains perfectly healthy BUT still loves to "swim upstream in the filter overflow". AND ,of course, her FAVORITE thing occasionally sucking air.....again just because it UNNERVES ME!!!! If there was some sort of, I don't know what, but I always imagine a sheet of plastic with holes in it that fit across the tank JUST under the surface of the water...BUT it remained invisible (hey this is MY daydream) I WOULD GET ONE!! I know it wouldn't work...probably get all "gunky" or SOMEHOW the fish would manage to harm themselves on it...BUT in my daydream it just keeps them from reaching the surface to DRINK A I R!!!!

What I actually do occasionally do is walk over when she is mindlessly sucking air & splash the surface of the water...it startles her enough so she stops..at least for awhile. I occasionally startle her with a laser pointer....but she's getting somewhat immune to that.

She is ridiculously addicted!!!!

Sorry, I know this has been marked as answered, but i just thought you may be interested in my experience which sounds a bit similar. I have an oranda and a pearlscale and the pearlscale was a serial gulper at the surface after being fed. I tried all sorts of dietary moficications - 3 different kinds of gel food, different kinds of pellets, different sized pellets, plants only, plants mixed with brine shrimp and bloodworms, big portions, small portions, sinking food, hand feeding etc etc but nothing helped and in fact with hand feeding I think the problem got worse.

After piping at the surface for 30 minutes or so she would get really floaty and spend the next four to five hours struggling to reach the bottom and sometimes end up exhausted and upside down. The problem would resolve when she would poo out a string of bubbles and regain her normal buoyancy. (My oranda pipes at the surface too but he seems to release most of the air from his mouth on the way back down and seldom gets floaty)

I jimmied up a cover for the tank from plastic mesh to prevent her getting to the surface after eating and it fixed the problem, but it wasn't stable enough to safely leave in the tank for more than a couple of closely supervised days. In the end I opted for behavioural modification. After I feed them their Hikari pellets (which I have gone back to feeding them) I put in a couple of rounds of lightly blanched zuchinni in vege clips. And I vacate the room because human activity also seems to draw them to the surface. Eating the zuchinni takes a decent amount of time and distracts her from going to the surface and she no longer pipes and gets floaty. I think live plants such as elodea would have the same effect and give them something to do but could be a bit pricey.

I personally think that at least in some circumstances (where other factors such as oxygenation, water quality issues or disease have been ruled out) excessive piping is a behavioural problem because the fish are bored or looking for food.

Anyway, just wanted to add my two cents worth in case Helen's excellent suggestions have not solved the problem for you.