Should I cut back my Anubias?

Jeana727

This is my big Anubias, it is well attached to the driftwood. I have been thinking about trimming the roots back some. I want to know if it will harm the plant if I cut off about an inch of the main thick root (it is 4-5 inches) & some of the stringy roots. My idea is that it will sit lower onto the driftwood. Right now it is kinda "stands tippie toe" on top of the driftwood. I don't want to damage this plant!! Any advice is appreciated!!

2013-001.jpg

\

You can easily trim the smaller roots. I used to but now my goldfish sort it out for me on my devils ivy :P

You mean the big thick one? That's a rhizome which would be storing lots of nutrients for the plant, so you can cut it, but it will certainly damage the plant if you take a lot off. Personally I would just use a rubber band and pin it down. It will eventually stay that way and attach better. Might be less messy and then you don't have to worry about damaging it. :)

Thanks. I think I'll try just trimming back the thin roots a bit. Then tie the rhizome to the driftwood again to see if I can get a more snug fit.

I really do not want to damage this plant. It is the "mother" to all the others that I have.

(Evening....swing by anytime. I'll snip you off a piece of it!)

Edited by Jeana727

It is possible to split the rhizome and separate the plant in two. I don't know if that is something you would want to do though? If you can wedge it more securely (like Alex said with a rubberband or something similar) those thinner roots will attach themselves to the wood.

Ahha, I don't recognize the flag, where are you at? :D

What chu' talkin' about. Willis??? I think our Flags match!

The lil' yellow thing is Don't Tread On Me!!!!

"The motto clearly indicated that the colonists were ready to defend their rights and freedoms".

Why thank you! It took me awhile to acquire my "green thumb" for aquariums!! But I finally have the hang of it!!

Well, trimming was relatively painless....though it IS hard to clip a leaf from a slow growing Anubias!! I trimmed the roots (left the rhizome alone). I actually took out BOTH driftwood pieces & trimmed the plant roots. I then snugged them down to the driftwood with fishing line. I even went ahead and snipped one leaf off as it was split & had black along the edges.

I am sure they will be securely attached in no time. They look much better now!!

• 1 month later...

Me too! It's always a little nerve wracking to prune a plant..........you never know .......you MIGHT tick it off!!! :teehee