Sign in to follow this  
TetraLover

Lumpy Space Princess

My betta earned herself a new name. Needless to say, she's been QT'd (I got a new Marina breeder box, it's awesome!) and she's going on a serious diet!! She is NOT dropsy'd, just really obese from living in the 60gal community and eating all the food.

This was her back in Feburary:

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

And this is her now:

931274_10201098564044291_1576298277_n.jp

20130601_182024.jpg

Edited by TetraLover

Very cute :).

What's wrong with her? She doesn't look right. I'm sorry. :(

What's wrong with her? She doesn't look right. I'm sorry. :(

I wanted another opinion before I said anything else. Maybe move this to D&D Alex?

The OP doesn't seem to think there is a problem, so let's leave it here for now.

I just don't think that it's just simply being fat, but that's just my two cents.

Whoa! Good luck with her. It looks as if her scales are flipped out to me... but what do I know.

Idk i had one female that was really fat and looked alot like that but red lol. just my :twocents

Idk i had one female that was really fat and looked alot like that but red lol. just my :twocents

I don't know. I have never had a betta that looked like that. :o:rofl

I don't know. I have never had a betta that looked like that. :o:rofl

Im not going to say there is not a problem i do not know (the one i had died when i got ich in the tank so i cant say much, she was also not eaating beta food but cichlid food a the time- i know bad idea but i did not know better at the time :( )

She's been through this same thing before and QT'ing her and fasting for a few days, then having very limited food for a month or so slimmed her right down again.

This is the last time though, I'm not putting her back into the 60g where she can eat as much as she wants again. She'll need to stay in the breeding box for a while though, right now all the normal QT tanks are being used, I've got baby guppies in a shoe-box, baby cichlids in a 10g, a baby betta in the 5g chi, a male betta in a box net in the cichlid tank, it's all a bit crowded and I need to play musical tanks occasionally.

I'm not overly worried about her though, she's quite spunky despite her size and she jumps to "attack" my finger when I hold it over the water. She's also attacked and dragged around a male guppy, lost the poor bugger after that, so it's no wonder she's able to eat so much, she just bullies everyone else off.

I do kind of expect to come home and find her on the bottom with her belly exploded or something, though, but hopefully a diet and fishy exercise helps.

She's been through this same thing before and QT'ing her and fasting for a few days, then having very limited food for a month or so slimmed her right down again.

This is the last time though, I'm not putting her back into the 60g where she can eat as much as she wants again. She'll need to stay in the breeding box for a while though, right now all the normal QT tanks are being used, I've got baby guppies in a shoe-box, baby cichlids in a 10g, a baby betta in the 5g chi, a male betta in a box net in the cichlid tank, it's all a bit crowded and I need to play musical tanks occasionally.

I'm not overly worried about her though, she's quite spunky despite her size and she jumps to "attack" my finger when I hold it over the water. She's also attacked and dragged around a male guppy, lost the poor bugger after that, so it's no wonder she's able to eat so much, she just bullies everyone else off.

I do kind of expect to come home and find her on the bottom with her belly exploded or something, though, but hopefully a diet and fishy exercise helps.

A diet and fishy exercise :happydance

I think she need to do laps! :P

You better do a head count on your guppies. :rofl

Oh my :o That is one big girl. I was not prepared for that.

I have one female in my 55 and she stays slim somehow.

One of my bettas looks just like that. It is a mystery as he is not overfed-and there is nothing to eat in his tank but what I give him-- and it happened overnight. I fasted him, but it made no difference. He looks just the same two months later, and is still eating and active and all. He is an older betta, so something may not be working the way it should any more. But, he seems fine other than this, so it is really strange.

Whoa! Good luck with her. It looks as if her scales are flipped out to me... but what do I know.

I'm the same when I put on extra weight ...... my arms stick out!!!! :pp