Sign in to follow this  
Mernany

questions for spray bar

I love my new Fulval FX5 and no body really has a problem with the current created by it but I'm wondering about a spray bar.

How does it work? What does it look like? And how would I go about making one?

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm not positive about how to make one, but basically it's a bar that has little holes in it that the water comes out of. I find it works better since the current isn't nearly as strong, but it creates more water movement. If you're interested in buying one, I'm sure fluval sells it. When i first got my spray bar, I turned it backwards to create less current.

I think many people who use spray bars point them towards the back glass to minimize current and yet still have surface agitation.

I do not have one, but if I did, that's what I'd do.

I know ChelseaM made a DIY canister filter and I think she made a spray bar. Maybe she will see this soon.

Good luck :)

I love my spray bar! :) I don't point mine to the back of the tank in my goldfish tank because the current is pretty soft when spread out across the bar, but I do point it toward the back in my betta tank.

I have never personally made a spray bar, but have seen ones that others have made out of pvc pipe - you just need to get appropriate sized pvc piping and some sort of attachment to fit it into your tubing and a closed piece on the end, then just drill holes in the pvc pipe. Should be pretty easy. I would take a piece of your tubing to the hardware store with you so you can see sizes etc.

google 'diy spray bar' and look at the pics, there are several examples out there :D

I haven't put together the spray bar yet as I don't have the cash, but I will be soon. Uarujoey might have a good DIY vid about how to do it, or you could check other places on youtube. :)