whisker shrimp

So I picked up a few shrimp (fully expecting to be eaten) for the goldfish tank ...I forgot how much I like these guys,I hope a few hang around for a while :)

056a.jpg

055a.jpg

051a.jpg

022a.jpg

so far the goldfish haven't paid any attention to them at all ;) we'll see ;) lol

Very nice Shelly ..... I think you've given me an idea!! :I-Thank-You:

Gonna make some enquiries with regard getting some of these little fella's.....

Edited by Phillyn17

Are they the same as ghost shrimp? They are cute. I hope they have a long life in your tank. :whistle

• 2 weeks later...

ok if these are the shrimp I'm thinking of also known as long armed shrimp i need to warn you now,

they grow big about 3inch known to hit 4 and get really long arms used for catching prey and they will start to attach small fish and

even start eating the goldfish tails

they as youngsters have long arms prob about half the length of the shrimp itself.

and tiny claws on the end of them. if so i really recommend getting a 10gal tank for them

but as adults they will need more room, they need about 5gal per shrimp they get very territorial.

i have also been told that this shrimp is more closely related to the prawn and as such has a bit of predator in it and will always take advantage of weak or sick fish.

i had one in a goldie tank it ate half a fully grown comets tail killed a small goldfish at which point i re-homed him to his own tank.

learn from my mistakes be very careful with them.

also they live for up to 5 years had mine for about 4

but it was about 1 year old before it started attaching other fish mates.

• 2 weeks later...

ok if these are the shrimp I'm thinking of also known as long armed shrimp i need to warn you now,

they grow big about 3inch known to hit 4 and get really long arms used for catching prey and they will start to attach small fish and

even start eating the goldfish tails

they as youngsters have long arms prob about half the length of the shrimp itself.

and tiny claws on the end of them. if so i really recommend getting a 10gal tank for them

but as adults they will need more room, they need about 5gal per shrimp they get very territorial.

i have also been told that this shrimp is more closely related to the prawn and as such has a bit of predator in it and will always take advantage of weak or sick fish.

i had one in a goldie tank it ate half a fully grown comets tail killed a small goldfish at which point i re-homed him to his own tank.

learn from my mistakes be very careful with them.

also they live for up to 5 years had mine for about 4

but it was about 1 year old before it started attaching other fish mates.

oh no I don't like this info :(

Thanks though ;)

I'm going to return them and the mystery snails I think :(

I'm just say my experience with them, when i had issues lets say. i did a lot of looking on the internet

and i found hardly anything on them, except the point people brought them thinking, or sold as ghosts.

and that they have started to hunt down smaller fish.

they use the whiskers to find dormant fish, then the long arms to grab them.

i saw this behavior to start and show at about the 1-1/2 inch mark.

they are great shrimp to watch and they can be trained to eat from your fingers,

this shows the strength they feel they have, even over larger objects lol.

sorry for been a bearer of bad news. but i feel people need more warnings about these shrimp.

edit

just found a nice video on youtube theses ones seem quite tame.

so you never know maybe i just got some ruff gits :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrMWHj7ubiQ

Edited by Wizz

• Supporter

Looks like ghost shrimp to me :) I think they would be fine :) I got 5 to go with my goldies 3 got eat quick 2 learned to hide and made to for a while. They get aboit 2" and don't bother fish they lovr picking at moss balls though. Lol

Edited by Daniel E.

I couldn't stop thinking about these shrimp :( not in a good way ;) Thanks for the info Wizz

I had originally brought them as a snack for the goldfish ;) but that hasn't happened,

and I do not want to take the chance of them stressing my goldfish,

they are now hanging in breeder box's at the top of the tank until I can find them new homes :(

I can't take a chance with my babies :(

maybe i am over reacting, but I have to put my goldfish first!!I just love them to much :)

better safe than sorry, but truly they are a great shrimp to keep they just don't mix to well.

but if you can grab them a tank you wont regret it, they have personality's like gold fish you can tell them apart by how they act.

Shelly ghost shrimp will in no way stress your fish! They stay that exact size and do not grow any bigger. If they were bothering your fish, you fish would eat them hun. Don't worry about it!

Wizz, you most definitely had a differnt kind of shrimp. Please try not to worry people if you are not sure of the advice given.

it's all good ...they were labeled whisker shrimp and they are definitely bigger than ghost shrimp ,I would rather someone who wants them to have them than me worrying if they are harassing my fishies tails at night,

I saw a couple of ghost shrimp bring down an African dwarf frog in a lps once and it was horrifying, I keep having images of this happening to my baby Max

:( they're outa here!!!!

I may or may not replace them with some smaller type like the red cherry shrimp or look into the bumble bee type as they were kind of fun to have in the past :)

i can highly recommend Cherry shrimp, if your fish are slow movers they may not be able to catch them. (but that is a risk)

and they breed like the devil if you get adults I'd say after 2 month you'd have quite a few babies swimming about :)