Oh No

Nick

I woke up and saw my snail on the floor!! we have a hard floor.. and it is about 4 foot high!! I think he is dead, all this slimey stuff is on the floor now.. But i put him back in the tank.. is this because he wasnt being fed enough? because i didnt really have any food for him for about 1 week or so. Or because, i hadnt had thew chance to lean the tank out for a week

Guest Lyndzi

the shells will float if there is no snail inside, or if the snail has dried up completely..

I've heard stories about them being tough little buggers, not sure what the pink is all about, but maybe he'll come around!

Guest Hutchtaz

I think snails are pretty tough, too. Hopefully, he will re-hydrate and come back to life.

If he might be dead though, you might want to move him into a big bowl with some tank water. I don't know if it is possible, but I would be worried about the ammonia levels climbing if he is dead and decomposing in the tank (which I hope he isn't!).

Its ok!!! He must of been shocked for over 9 hours or so... h is ok now.. but sometimes he tries to get out again lol.... so i put some books up the top where i cant put the glass!

Thnx everyone

Guest sammydai
:) make sure he dosent fall again. Mine fell out of aquarium once. I lowered the water level 1.5 inch from the rim and he some how left his habit.

Guest Rudolf

Glad to hear your snail is okay. You will need to cover any gaps on top of your tank to avoid having the snail climb out again. I have my snail tank covered with 2 sheets of glass. The snails often climb out of the water to lay their eggs on the glass lid and the sides of the tank above the water line.

my snail did lay eggs, but i dont know what happened to them... they sank into the water.. and disspeared... fish ate them?

Anyways, my snail still goes out of the water, even if its not laying eggs, lol

Its likes to breath in the fresh air.. or he doesnt like the water :/

Guest Rudolf

Roger Nick, that's normal. Depending on the oxygen content of the water. If the water is highly oxygenated they apparently spend more time underwater (except to lay eggs).I have also had eggs fall in the water but as I have no fish in the snail tank I was able to rescue them from the bottom of the tank and placed them on a small styrofoam raft. They were not underwater for very long and freshly laid so they should hatch successfully in the next week or so.

I now place all the egg clutches that are laid on the glass lids on a small raft after the clutch has dried (couple of days). I remove them from the glass very carefully with a razor blade.

If you have fish in with your snails I suggest you use another container in which to float your raft of eggs so that when they hatch and crawl into the water the fish won't eat them.

I use a large jar with a half inch layer of coarse river sand. I cover this jar with a plastic bag held in place with rubber bands to keep in the humidity. Of course if you are lucky enough to have a spare tank, you can use that.

When the snails start to hatch I give them a light misty spray with water, using a cheap domestic plastic spayer.

I recommend you visit the www.applesnail site to glean some very interesting information.

It does sound as if your fish may have eaten the eggs when they fell in.

Good luck!

Archived