Ramshorn snail boom conditions

Let's say I never let any food sit around or fall to the bottom of the tank. But I have TONS of algae from a tank taht gets direct window sunlight. Would I expect a giganto population boom of ramshorns? How fast are single tails good at eating ramshorns (once they find out they're delicious)?

I'm curious because I have a small cheerio size one that hitchhiked from a plant 3 weeks ago.

Extra question. I have a pond snail that lives in a mini fishbowl of azolla. He eats them slower than they reproduce.. do pond snails prefer plants or green algae? I've had just this one fella for a month now with no babies. Lucky me!

Hi soupmonster,

Ramshorns do have a tendency to breed a lot but despite the fact that they can switch sex, there does need to be two of them to breed. Sometimes a snail will lay eggs that have been fertilized a long time ago but generally, if you have only one snail, it will not reproduce.

As for pond snails, I don't really know much. Apple snails need one of each sex to reproduce (unlike ramshorns who can be both boy and girl). My apple snails appear to prefer rotting plant matter.

Hi soupmonster,

Ramshorns do have a tendency to breed a lot but despite the fact that they can switch sex, there does need to be two of them to breed. Sometimes a snail will lay eggs that have been fertilized a long time ago but generally, if you have only one snail, it will not reproduce.

As for pond snails, I don't really know much. Apple snails need one of each sex to reproduce (unlike ramshorns who can be both boy and girl). My apple snails appear to prefer rotting plant matter.

Okay, hopefully mine isn't fertilized then.

If it was, would I be in big trouble with a tank with algae problems?