Times when your goldfish surprise you

I have two stories!

Good surprise:

My comet used to spend all day trying to peck on the sides of water lettuce. Recently, he has gotten smarter about it. He learned to splash his tail back and forth above the water to flip the water lettuce upside down and get to the supple baby plants. Last week I saw him dive at it from the bottom with his mouth open...Jaws movie style. It gets the entire baby plant in his mouth all at once! I'm impressed by his ingenuity. You can count on a goldfish to figure out how to earn that extra morsel of food!

Bad surprise:

Once in awhile my itty bitty Fincent would get black lips. I used to think there was some sort of water quality issue (despite awesome parameters) and it kept me testing and changing water all the time. Then one day when he looked 100% orange, I watched him chew some black algae off the java fern... and his lips turned black! ALL THAT WORRY WAS OVER AN ALGAE MOUSTACHE! :krazy:

(He has sort of a cleft upper lip/jaw and now I know things get caught in there.)

I want to hear your charming stories too! Please share :D

Wow haha I love your stories!! I don't really have any good ones like that :(

hahahhahah algae moustache!! so cute :)

i don't have much but here's lil stories:

i got a young male (<2in long) who always chases my queen (who is much larger) in the butt, even when she's not got eggs. sometimes my queen gets fed up with him, so she swims next to one of my males who is same color and size. the lil lad gets mixed up and starts butt nuzzling the big male. he realizes his after a few seconds, turns around and makes a mad (wobbly) dash to my queen on the other side of the tank.

i've got another male, who is particularly smart and naughty (although probably not as smart as yours :D). during feeding time, he'll sometimes use his body to hide uneaten pellets from view while he's still chewing what he's got. once, he tried to nip off a piece of spinach that another fish had hanging out of her mouth (she bit off more than she could chew). lastly, after i introduced a new food item that was too hard chew, he found out that pieces break off more easily when he spit them out rather than chew directly. so he spit - bit - spit - bit - spit it out. this was only the second time i gave'em this new food, and he already figured out a trick O.o lastly lastly, he sometimes sleeps his with head resting on a rock - so cute.

:rofl Algae moustache!!!

I put a new vase in my tank a while ago and watched my pudgy ryukin try to swim behind it. It's spherical so he was confused. He wouldn't fit. Once, twice, three times he bumped his nose on the vase. Fourth time, he went for it, but flipped upside down at the last second to swim so he could fit through the little opening! Brilliant xD Now that's always how he does it. The weirdo could just swim in front of it, but whateverrrr! xD

Wow haha I love your stories!! I don't really have any good ones like that :(

It's ok! With time, you'll remember/witness a few.

And then you'll share with us!! :D

hahahhahah algae moustache!! so cute :)

i don't have much but here's lil stories:

i got a young male (<2in long) who always chases my queen (who is much larger) in the butt, even when she's not got eggs. sometimes my queen gets fed up with him, so she swims next to one of my males who is same color and size. the lil lad gets mixed up and starts butt nuzzling the big male. he realizes his after a few seconds, turns around and makes a mad (wobbly) dash to my queen on the other side of the tank.

i've got another male, who is particularly smart and naughty (although probably not as smart as yours :D). during feeding time, he'll sometimes use his body to hide uneaten pellets from view while he's still chewing what he's got. once, he tried to nip off a piece of spinach that another fish had hanging out of her mouth (she bit off more than she could chew). lastly, after i introduced a new food item that was too hard chew, he found out that pieces break off more easily when he spit them out rather than chew directly. so he spit - bit - spit - bit - spit it out. this was only the second time i gave'em this new food, and he already figured out a trick O.o lastly lastly, he sometimes sleeps his with head resting on a rock - so cute.

Haha you have a lot of good stories!

I love the first story to death! Sounds like your goldfish got "catfished"?? (*ba dump tschhh*)

Awww. Rock pillows... probably only work for fish LOL! And how come the smart fish are always the naughty fish??

:rofl Algae moustache!!!

I put a new vase in my tank a while ago and watched my pudgy ryukin try to swim behind it. It's spherical so he was confused. He wouldn't fit. Once, twice, three times he bumped his nose on the vase. Fourth time, he went for it, but flipped upside down at the last second to swim so he could fit through the little opening! Brilliant xD Now that's always how he does it. The weirdo could just swim in front of it, but whateverrrr! xD

Ahahaha! I can just imagine your stubborn ryuken right now... "Hmm... new vase in my favorite swimming space... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED"

When I fed my fish in the pond I've noticed quite a neat group behavior.

The scent driven fish come out first.

There is always one fish that hovered above the repashy block while others nibbled underneath. If this fish went down to eat another fish would hover above.

After the scent driven fish had finish eating, they would encourage the sight driven fish out by swimming over to the hiding spot and chewing in front of them.

The largest 2 fish were the last to come out, they would rip the block off in chunks and after their first meal was done they would rip off chunks and chew into smaller chunks and then spit them in front of the smaller fish who would then eat up the smaller pieces.

They all took 20 mins to chew each meal and the smaller fish would hide under the fins or body of the larger fish to eat.

When I fed my fish in the pond I've noticed quite a neat group behavior.

The scent driven fish come out first.

There is always one fish that hovered above the repashy block while others nibbled underneath. If this fish went down to eat another fish would hover above.

After the scent driven fish had finish eating, they would encourage the sight driven fish out by swimming over to the hiding spot and chewing in front of them.

The largest 2 fish were the last to come out, they would rip the block off in chunks and after their first meal was done they would rip off chunks and chew into smaller chunks and then spit them in front of the smaller fish who would then eat up the smaller pieces.

They all took 20 mins to chew each meal and the smaller fish would hide under the fins or body of the larger fish to eat.

WOW that is an interesting social dynamic. I love how the pond members take care of their "family." :)

Even more reason for me to get a pond!!