Sign in to follow this  
jeffeve

can fry grow to big to quick

hi all just post a vid on my fry and was wondering if they can grow to be to quickly never raised fry before so these hatched on the 2nd may 2013 .ifed these on artemia jbl liquid food and 10 days later started them on crushed hikari lionhead food.

I have the water at 23c and changed this every 4 days,feed the fry 3 times daily.the biggest one at the moment is about 3/4 inch or 15mm aprox I have lost the odd one or 2 over the last few weeks.these have come from a blue oranda dad and a red oranda mum.

just concerned if I am feeding them a little to much or is this the growth rate for fry

thanks again

Growth rates vary on fry. I'm you've seen that some are bigger and some are smaller. They key is variety of foods fed many times a day and keep up with water changes. Having a 3/4 inch fish after a month ( I presume that is including the tail) is normal :)

Ive noticed the warmer the water, the faster they grow. The warm water speeds up their metabolism, which makes them grow faster. Lots of food, clean water and higher temps equals faster growing goldfish fry.

thanks for the replys

my goldies have ben spawning every time I did a water change .but I only managed to catch them twice once in the middle of march which I just took the plants out of my tank and place this in another tank just water and lighting no heater and within the 3 weeks they all passed away a few at a time I did water changes but non survived .the only difference this time I added a heater and since they have hatch which was not a lot I would say around the 30 mark I must have only lost between 5 and 10 .there are still some very small ones in there which look as if they are only a couple of weeks old.

so in general I do believe temperature is one very important factor for raising the fry.

so thank you all once again