Sign in to follow this  
jeffeve

changed my gravel to porcelain tiles

Oh my gosh!! They're all so darling! I think I'm going to fall over from cuteness overload!

That is beautiful tank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

You have so many beautiful fish. Love the darker Oranda. Your tank looks really nice, bright, and clean.

That looks like a pretty nasty ulcer/wound on your sweet sakura oranda. You might want to start a new topic in the diagnosis section, I think he may need more than melafix. A mod can advise. Can you get Biobandage over there, by any chance?

I am madly coveting that fat-faced oranda in your main tank, btw. Madly! Lovely fish, lovely tank.

thanks for the great comments

I looked at the bare bottom tanks which personally was not keen to have but wanted the cleanliness of the tank so I came up with this idea which is a bit of both. word of warning just be careful what tiles you use I only looked at porcelain terracotta and slate,some tiles are man made and have resin in and may posion the fish so be careful what you buy,and if your starting up a new tank doing it this way might be cheaper than buying gravel depending on the tiles.

That looks like a pretty nasty ulcer/wound on your sweet sakura oranda. You might want to start a new topic in the diagnosis section, I think he may need more than melafix. A mod can advise. Can you get Biobandage over there, by any chance?

I am madly coveting that fat-faced oranda in your main tank, btw. Madly! Lovely fish, lovely tank.

I will google blobanage

thanks

Biobandage is a topical fish treatment you put on wounds that has methylene blue and neomycin sulfate in it, and is formulated to adhere a bit. If you use peroxide, you need to be extremely careful it doesn't get in the gills or eyes, and it may not be the right thing in any case. It is a little hard to see what that looks like close up. If you do a Diagnosis thread, maybe you can get a closeup photo. I can't really tell if it if an ulcer or wound-an ulcer comes up from the under the scales usually, and starts out looking like a pink/red area before it opens up, in my experience. It can be caused by parasites or bacteria. Anyway, if you post in D&D, you'll get better advice than I can give as we have super experienced Mod ulcer veterans on the board.

I can't believe I've never thought of this.

Biobandage is a topical fish treatment you put on wounds that has methylene blue and neomycin sulfate in it, and is formulated to adhere a bit. If you use peroxide, you need to be extremely careful it doesn't get in the gills or eyes, and it may not be the right thing in any case. It is a little hard to see what that looks like close up. If you do a Diagnosis thread, maybe you can get a closeup photo. I can't really tell if it if an ulcer or wound-an ulcer comes up from the under the scales usually, and starts out looking like a pink/red area before it opens up, in my experience. It can be caused by parasites or bacteria. Anyway, if you post in D&D, you'll get better advice than I can give as we have super experienced Mod ulcer veterans on the board.

hi

yes it was pink and red under the scale so I presume this will be an ulcer.cannot find any where in the u.k where they sell bio bandage but was looking on the praticalfishkeeping site and one solution was to clean with iodine using cotton buds and then putting oralesive on which you buy from the chemist.i have observe the fish this morning and the redding has gone down a bit so should I stay with this for the next week.will check out the other forum

thanks again

There are many different treatments for ulcers, some work better than others, but you will always have the best results if you catch it early and treat immediately.

Treatments:
  • Injections – Baytril, Nuflor

• Antibiotic Pond treatments – Oxolium powder, Bifuran, Melafix

• Topical Treatment – iodine, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, bio-bandage

• Medicated Foods – Blackwater Creek Medicated Food

• Dips or Baths – Neocide 3

There are many different treatments for ulcers, some work better than others, but you will always have the best results if you catch it early and treat immediately.

Treatments:
  • Injections – Baytril, Nuflor
  • Antibiotic Pond treatments – Oxolium powder, Bifuran, Melafix
  • Topical Treatment – iodine, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, bio-bandage
  • Medicated Foods – Blackwater Creek Medicated Food
  • Dips or Baths – Neocide 3

Where did you get this list, Jeana? I'm just curious because quite a few tried and trues are missing from it, with things like Kanaplex, Medi-Gold, Metro-Meds, Medi-Koi, and so on and so forth.

thanks for the replies everyone

just ordered nt labs wound seal and swab treatment hopefully this will help

thanks again