Sign in to follow this  
Phillyn17

API Freshwater MTK ... make it last twice as long! Save much money!

One thing to consider when using less drops... And I didn't go back and read all the posts so please see forgive me if this has already been posted. When you use less tank water and less drops, your test results will not be as accurate. If you are slightly above or below the new line you made, or your line is slightly off, or if the drops from the test kit come out in different sizes, the smaller test sample will be affected more by this, than with a test sample of twice the size. It will probably not make a huge difference, but, it will make a difference.

Hi everyone...

I think the original intention of this tip is getting a little lost, and complicated here guys...

To be honest DP, sorry, I fail to understand how using less tank water and drops is making the results any less accurate. Ratio is ratio ..... if you add 3 drops to 9 parts water, it's exactly the same as adding 33 drops to 99 parts water, or 25 drops to 75 parts water ...... 33.3% or 1/3 is the same in any mixture.

With regard to the substitute line I suggested be created, why should this be any less accurate that the API production line on the test tube? If measured correctly, there should be no difference?

And finally, with regard to being slightly above or below the line, that could apply to the genuine API measure level just as much as the line created.

Just my humble opinion......

Edited by Phillyn17

One thing to consider when using less drops... And I didn't go back and read all the posts so please see forgive me if this has already been posted. When you use less tank water and less drops, your test results will not be as accurate. If you are slightly above or below the new line you made, or your lineresults. ightly off, or if the drops from the test kit come out in different sizes, the smaller test sample will be affected more by this, than with a test sample of twice the size. It will probably not make a huge difference, but, it will make a difference.

Hi everyone...

I think the original intention of this tip is getting a little lost, and complicated here guys...

To be honest DP, sorry, I fail to understand how using less tank water and drops is making the results any less accurate. Ratio is ratio ..... if you add 3 drops to 9 parts water, it's exactly the same as adding 33 drops to 99 parts water, or 25 drops to 75 parts water ...... 33.3% or 1/3 is the same in any mixture.

With regard to the substitute line I suggested be created, why should this be any less accurate that the API production line on the test tube? If measured correctly, there should be no difference?

And finally, with regard to being slightly above or below the line, that could apply to the genuine API measure level just as much as the line created.

Just my humble opinion......

But it isn't really all the same. Each time I do the test I will fill the tube a little higher or lower than the line. It's just a simple fact that the amount in the tube will never be exactly the same. Now, with the drops, the drops will be different sizes every time. Big drops, small drops, medium drops, whatever. With less drops, you are getting less averaging. This will result in skewed test results. Yes, it will be a small amount, but it will be different. Think about samples sizes when doing a poll. The larger the sample size, the more accurate the poll will be. Same applies here. 

I fully appreciate where you are coming from ..... but when we are dealing with levels/measurements of 2.5 to 5.0ml, and several droplets of chemical additive (none of which can be accurately measured with normal home equipment), the difference in readings is so miniscule, it's not even worth considering, or worrying about. Would you not agree?   :undecided:

Edited by Phillyn17

Since you are cutting the amount used in half, you are doubling the margin of error. I don't worry about it at all. I might test my water every few weeks. By the time my test drops run out, they will be expired anyway. 

7072.gif   4998.gif

I respect you views, but perhaps we should politely agree to disagree ...... or this could go on forever.

It was just a free tip ...... people can use it or ignore it, it's as simple as that.

Edited by Phillyn17

:goodjob

:hi Phillyn17

Hi Shannon ... 7073.gif

How are the family? I hope everyone is keeping well....... 26.gif

Hi Shannon ... 7073.gif

How are the family? I hope everyone is keeping well....... 26.gif

We are hun... Glad to see you posting again... Missed ya :thumbs: