Sign in to follow this  
Phillyn17

API Freshwater MTK ... make it last twice as long! Save much money!

Hi guys.....

I believe the most popular and efficient water test kit, as I believe you will agree, is the API Freshwater master Test Kit.

What is the only downside of using this kit?

Answer: The solution for testing Nitrate and Ammonia runs out way before the rest of the solutions (i.e. NitrIte and pH).

A quick tip, which I have used successfully for a while now is to.......

• Take one of the test tubes and mark 2.5 ml on the side of the glass (I used some Tipex tape) ..... image below:

SAM_0250_zps67c48a14.jpg

N.B.

Position the tape so that the lower edge measures 2.5 ml.

• Complete the tests in the normal manner, except in the case of the Ammonia test, use 4 drops of solution instead of the normal 8 that you would in a 5 ml measure (In the case of the Nitrate test use 5 instead of 10 drops).

The results will be exactly the same, see image below:

SAM_0253_zps0dcc1a8b.jpg

The same is true of the Nitrate test, image below:

SAM_0254_zps909ce1c3.jpg

I have been practicing this method for many months now....prior to my idea, I was finding that the Nitrate and Ammonia solutions were running out months before the remaining Nitrite and pH solutions ..... causing me to buy new kits until I had Nitrite and pH solutions coming out of my ears!!

Previously I found a kit lasting me about 9 months (based on my personal tank usage) before the testing took its' toll on the Nitrate and Ammonia solution stocks, and I had to purchase another just to replenish these two.

Using this method, I have used the same kit for 12 months, and all the solution levels remaining are the same (or there about, the equal level). I would estimate that this kit will last me at least another 6 months.... doubling the original longevity of the kit.

I hope this helps!!! :thumbs:

Take care.....

This post has been promoted to an article Edited by Phillyn17

THAT is actually a Very Good Idea!! You get one of these :thumbup2: (Sorry that's all I have) LOL!!

Very good idea! :)

half the water, half the chemical, good idea... another way to accurately measure without having to tippex the flask which will most certainly wear out is to use a syringe to measure the water that you add to the flask.

members, do not attempt this with the PH, Nitrite, KH or GH as it's impossible to split a drop of chemical and pointless with the KH & GH tests. also, please be sure to know when the expiry is on your test kits. some of them, if not all of them have a 2 year shelf life.

I've always thought about doing this! My only worry is not putting the 2.5mL marking in exactly the right place, and winding up with results that are not quite right. Even then, I'm sure that buying a test tube that measures that amount (and I hate that I can't remember the word we learned in high school bio classes for that!) would still offset the price of replacing the nitrate and ammonia bottles I so quickly use up! :)

I've always thought about doing this! My only worry is not putting the 2.5mL marking in exactly the right place, and winding up with results that are not quite right. Even then, I'm sure that buying a test tube that measures that amount (and I hate that I can't remember the word we learned in high school bio classes for that!) would still offset the price of replacing the nitrate and ammonia bottles I so quickly use up! :)

The easiest way is to measure half way from the base and the 5 ml mark, and attach a marker...then to double check, I have a pipette that measures 2-5 ml.

As the Meerkat in the "Compare the Market.com" TV advertisement in the UK would say.........SIMPLES!!! :teehee

Edited by Phillyn17

members, do not attempt this with the PH, Nitrite, KH or GH as it's impossible to split a drop of chemical and pointless with the KH & GH tests. also, please be sure to know when the expiry is on your test kits. some of them, if not all of them have a 2 year shelf life.

Hi Helen....

Good and safe warning for the membership, but with respect, my tip clearly only mentions the half measures with the Nitrate and Ammonia testing (8 & 10 drops cut by half measure), this to make the kit last longer.......even if one could be precise enough to split a droplet in half, you would be back in the same boat where certain solution supplies are lasting twice as long as others......defeating the object of my tip?

I also mention that even with this method the kit will extend my usage to just 18 months......safely short of the 2 year shelf life I think you would agree.

The Tipex tape is also quite robust...that particular measure indicator has been on that tube for over 6 months.

Take care.... :hummm

Edited by Phillyn17

Very good idea! :)

Thanks Alex ... much appreciated!!

THAT is actually a Very Good Idea!! You get one of these :thumbup2: (Sorry that's all I have) LOL!!

Brilliant I must try this

Cheers guys .... it works for me!! Saves a few pounds too...... :hi

Hi Helen....

Good and safe warning for the membership, but with respect, my tip clearly only mentions the half measures with the Nitrate and Ammonia testing (8 & 10 drops cut by half measure), this to make the kit last longer.......even if one could be precise enough to split a droplet in half, you would be back in the same boat where certain solution supplies are lasting twice as long as others......defeating the object of my tip?

I also mention that even with this method the kit will extend my usage to just 18 months......safely short of the 2 year shelf life I think you would agree.

The Tipex tape is also quite robust...that particular measure indicator has been on that tube for over 6 months.

hun no way was she trying to defeat your tip.... she was just trying to make sure people understand they wont be able to do your tip with those ones.... and as alot of people know on here... not everyone reads everything... :(

Great tip :thumbs:

Hi Helen....

hun no way was she trying to defeat your tip.... she was just trying to make sure people understand they wont be able to do your tip with those ones.... and as alot of people know on here... not everyone reads everything... :(

Thanks for your kind comment #1....

but can I just say I did not take even the slightest offence from Helen's reply ... I even commented it was a "Good and safe warning for the membership".

My response simply highlighted the main points of my tip .... because I believe certain aspects may have been missed .... that's all I meant, no problem, honest!! :thumb:

Same old problem it seems ..... Several mighty nations DIVIDED by a common language....LOL!! :teehee

Edited by Phillyn17

Hi Helen....

Thanks for your kind comment #1....

but can I just say I did not take even the slightest offence from Helen's reply ... I even commented it was a "Good and safe warning for the membership".

My response simply highlighted the main points of my tip .... because I believe certain aspects may have been missed .... that's all I meant, no problem, honest!! :thumb:

Oh okay hun :hug

Just wanted to make sure... all good then :)

Happy Days #1.......Happy Days!!!

I certainly would not disrespect Helen .... she's been my lifesaver the last 24 hours!!

How's our little Princess today anyway??? :angelstaf:

Edited by Phillyn17

Happy Days #1.......Happy Days!!!

I certainly would not disrespect Helen .... she's been my lifesaver the last 24 hours!!

How's our little Princess today anyway??? :angelstaf:

:teehee sleeping on me ask we speak

There is NOTHING as wonderful as a baby peacefully sleeping on you!!!!!

There is NOTHING as wonderful as a baby peacefully sleeping on you!!!!!

True its just when shes cranky on me :teehee

Yeah, Cranky baby is not near as sweet as Peaceful Sleeping Baby!! :teehee

C'mon girls!!! My tthread has been completely derailed by all this baby talk.

Geta grip of yourselves !!! LOL !!! :madrant

C'mon girls!!! My tthread has been completely derailed by all this baby talk.

Geta grip of yourselves !!! LOL !!! :madrant

:teehee

thank you koko..

phil, another reason why i asked members to check the expiry dates on their test kits is because those taking up your idea might already be 1 year or more into the shelf life of their kits.. meaning, kits now lasting longer in chemical will most likely expire their use giving them false readings. there was no ill intention of my initial post on your thread :)

thank you koko..

phil, another reason why i asked members to check the expiry dates on their test kits is because those taking up your idea might already be 1 year or more into the shelf life of their kits.. meaning, kits now lasting longer in chemical will most likely expire their use giving them false readings. there was no ill intention of my initial post on your thread :)

:bighug

Edited by Phillyn17

This is an excellent tip on how to save your chemicals. Thanks.

Do you have any tips on how to read your test tube results against the API card? I currently use a bright and sunny window and hold the tube against a white part of the card beside the printed coloured blocks. I find this not that easy to be accurate.

This is an excellent tip on how to save your chemicals. Thanks.

Do you have any tips on how to read your test tube results against the API card? I currently use a bright and sunny window and hold the tube against a white part of the card beside the printed coloured blocks. I find this not that easy to be accurate.

Hi TB.....thanks for your kind comments!! :I-Thank-You:

We don't have much sun here in Wales LOL!!!

I tend to just hold the tube and colour card next to my tanks' lighting tube .... that way I get a consistency with the test conditions. :hi

Edited by Phillyn17

Congratulations on that tip, Phil. Nice job! :)