Any thoughts for a stable fish bowl?

Yes, I think I commented on the other thread with the post I quoted, but although that setup is well maintained and looks great, I still don't see how it is a good home to advocate for such a fish, especially for someone who has little knowledge on fish, as The OP is trying to help. :)

Edited by Narny105

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is sad of the co-worker. I guess you could always set up the ten gallon tank to your likings with a betta and show her how beautiful it turned out. Maybe she'll want it then and realize how certain types of fish need a certain amount of space. You can just give it to her then OR perhaps she can repay you for the dollars that it cost you. You can even try to keep the cost down while decorating it for the purpose of her "might" wanting it. Worse case, You have a new tank because we don't want to think of her killing the betta if she should keep it. Anyway, Just my thoughts. :)

I well have to disagree.

Add a heater for a more stable temp. Bettas do fine/trive in bowls. Just need to do a lot of extra water changes. Like three or four times a week. 100 percent water changes. But not a lot of people can stay on top of the water changes and that can mean death for a betta.

Edited by Hidr

But temperatures fluctuate quite a bit in a bowl already. Surely adding a heater just exasperates the issue, considering it will be constantly trying to heat adequately.

1-2 gallons is no place for any fish. I don't understand why housing standards are suddenly changing to accommodate bowls. We can keep goldfish in 5 gallon tanks provided we are doing adequate water changes and they don't grow very much- that's just what I am getting from this thread.

Edited by Narny105

As long as theirs room for heater, some swim room and its heavily planted a betta will do fine in bowl although I wouldn't go under 2.5 gallons right now I have a crown tail in a planted 3gallon with a small air stone and its nice hardly any water changes since its planted

Please explain why this is fine? I do not understand the logic behind this notion that a bowl is a suitable environment. I have clearly explained myself why I do not think it is suitable, but I am yet to hear the opposing side.

It may be suitable to house a fish in, but is it a suitable environment for a fish of its nature?

Here's what we want to fulfill when housing a betta:

- An enriching environment

- Substantial room for a territory to be formed

- Mental enrichment

- A calm environment free from environmental stress (fluctuating temperature, poor water quality, lack of space, etc)

- The ability to explore as done so in their natural environments

When we put this in the context of housing a betta in a bowl, this is what we get:

- An enriching environment: We have limited space for planting, meaning it is difficult to provide an environment where the betta can explore the bottom.

- Substantial room for a territory to be formed: We have two scenarios for which fish will establish themselves. The first is called a 'home base' which is often established in animals without territorial nature. For bettas and other territorial fish, we have a territory. Territories are often smaller for singular species, however we cannot establish an adequate territory with a spherical object where there is a complete 360 view.

- Mental enrichment: This can somewhat be supplied in a small bowl environment, however mental enrichment involves the ability to be able to search the substrate (often the smallest part in a bowl), the space for exploring (not adequate in a bowl) etc. A tank provides a much better environment for mental enrichment, so why advocate something that cannot?

- A calm environment free from environmental stress (fluctuating temperature, poor water quality, lack of space, etc): Again, size is an issue here. Secondly, as I mentioned above, we have the issue of the shape of the bowl, which is much more sensitive to vibrations which stress the fish, and we have a complete 360 view which is also quite stressful- usually we try to have one side of the tank towards a wall, which is a 'safety barrier' for the fish. It's not nice to have to keep your environment protected when you've got such an open view, even with plants. Heating is a big issue. Where do you put a heater on something that is shaped like a bowl? Some may have flat sides, but the size of the environment is far too small to safely heat, and is susceptible to large temperature fluctuations.

- The ability to explore as done so in their natural environments: This has been explained in the above paragraphs.

Vs a tank that is of a good size (5 gallons and above)

- An enriching environment: The size of the tank makes it much easier to plant, since we have more room to add substrate, plants, and decor. This is much better for a fish.

- Substantial room for a territory to be formed: again, much more surface area, and we are able to make sure there is no issue of a 360 view being formed with covering the back of a tank, or heavily planting one particular side.

- Mental enrichment: More room leads to more exciting things that can be added. I agree that planted bowls can look and be magnificent, but for bettas? We are much more limited for what we can do for them.

- A calm environment free from environmental stress (fluctuating temperature, poor water quality, lack of space, etc): Although tank size is always a factor, most tanks can be safely heated, we have a good surface area for planting, etc.

- The ability to explore as done so in their natural environments: Again, tank size and water volume are factors of this.

That being said, bowls are often quite small and this is why we cannot provide a lot of these things. Vases that are square or rectangular may be a lot better, but are often tall rather than wide, and I haven't seen a fish that prefers to swim vertically more so than horizontally. Even biorb tanks are stressful to fish, despite them being as large as 60+ gallons. They're just not a good shape.

Thanks, for not getting mad and unreasonable. That's quite an extensive list you've got there. All I know is many people have healthy and long lived bettas who are being kept alone in small tanks/bowls. I am unsure of how happy these bettas are. I suppose if you want more info on keeping bettas in bowls/mini tanks, might do well to poke around online and ask some of these folks directly.

When I had bettas, they were usually kept males in ten gal. tanks and females in thirty gal. tanks. Despite this, my bettas did not live longer then the bettas being kept in small containers .

My last pair of bettas were the most spoilled of all. My male lived alone in a fiften gal .tank and my female lived in my fifty five gal. pleco tank.

Could you get her to go to a five gallon? With a heater and plants (Maybe you could get her to pick up a cheap internal filter?) it would make a good betta home

If she won't listen she won't listen. However, if she keeps trying to keep various fish and she keeps having problems she'll probably eventually wonder why your fish are thriving and then be more open to learning. Hopefully.

Thanks, for not getting mad and unreasonable. That's quite an extensive list you've got there. All I know is many people have healthy and long lived bettas who are being kept alone in small tanks/bowls. I am unsure of how happy these bettas are. I suppose if you want more info on keeping bettas in bowls/mini tanks, might do well to poke around online and ask some of these folks directly.

When I had bettas, they were usually kept males in ten gal. tanks and females in thirty gal. tanks. Despite this, my bettas did not live longer then the bettas being kept in small containers .

My last pair of bettas were the most spoilled of all. My male lived alone in a fiften gal .tank and my female lived in my fifty five gal. pleco tank.

I'm not going to get mad or unreasonable in a section I moderate :) Everyone has different opinions, and I respect that. This topic in particular is something I feel most strongly about, and I don't want to be going against the opinion of many others on this thread without completely explaining my reasons :) Secondly, being a Tvet student, I have one lecture a week concerning around the welfare, handling, and behaviour of animals, which does have a fish aspect, and for all species, bowls are highly discouraged due to the behaviour of the fish, and although not necessarily the case as many people have well kept bowls, the welfare of the fish as well. Bowls are hard to provide mental/environmental stimulation since you are very limited to what you can do, and bettas will very easily become familiar with their environment due to their territorial nature, so larger tanks will provide more extensive capability of making the environment interesting for them.

I understand what you're saying, and I think in terms of housing them in bowls, that information would really come with experience. I personally just do not plan to house a betta in one as I think it is wrong as I have seen it quite often. It was originally recommended as 5 gallons minimum here, which I have heavily advocated, however the standard than dropped to 2.5 gallons, and now to bowls- this just doesn't make sense to me, and I think it is lazy fish keeping. Bowls can be utiised for aquaria in much better ways than putting a fish that really does require more in there

Bettas metabolisms are dependent on warm waters, like all tropical fish. Most bettas in containers or bowls will often be in cold water, which consequently lowers their metabolic function. Providing they do not become ill, most bettas in lower water temperatures will ironically live longer. This is where the saying "The quality of life is more important than the quantity of life" comes in, since we can give a betta a nice tank like 5-10 gallons, with stable warm temperatures, and have it live 2-4 years, whereas we can keep it in a very sterile 1 gallon bowl with lower temperatures, and possibly have it live up to 6 years of age.

I've had quite a few bettas myself; and currently one that I gave to my nephew to look after since he has always wanted one, and my 3 year old betta, Artemis, who lives in a 15 gallon too. Just from seeing how he utilises the space in the tank would definitely make me question myself if I were to downgrade back to 5 gallons. They will always do better with more space, in my opinion :)

Edited by Narny105

Dang I measured the tanks wanted is one inch too. Big guess its time to go the half circle ten gallon .

I have now thinking about it my fish seem alot happier in the

Bigger tanks so maybe I will make shrimp bowl once the fry are grown enough :rofl

Seeing there has been a lot of talk on betta tank sizes I thought I'd share what my daughter has.

My daughter has two betta's in two different tanks. One is a 5g fluval w/heater/sponge filter. The other is a 2g fluval w/heater/sponge filter. I think the 5g is perfect for the betta. Both seem to like their home and enjoy swimming into the current from the filter. I must admit I do feel kind of bad for the betta in the smaller tank though. It does look small. But I do see her swim around and play in the current. I have asked my daughter a few times if she wanted to upgrade the smaller tank but she doesn't. My daughter has had both betta's since a year ago last January. So they are going on 1 1/2 years. No health problems either. She does a huge WC every week. I think she might even be doing a 100% WC. They are kept in her bedroom.

With that all said, I think a betta would be better off in a 5g tank or bigger.

Dang I measured the tanks wanted is one inch too. Big guess its time to go the half circle ten gallon .

Bigger tanks so maybe I will make shrimp bowl once the fry are grown enough :rofl

Hi Gustave,

What are you trying to do? Your post just confuses me a little, that's all! :)

Thanks everyone for your insight. I am planning on doing the ten gallon I got from her as a planted tank anyways, so if she sees reason, it will be ready for her. I kinda doubt she will tho. I will try and "scare" her with the amount of extra water changes she will have to do.

Oh no! I really hope you can convince her to go for the bigger tank! I too have a friend that is stubborn in that aspect. She drives me crazy!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Too bad for her.

Enjoy your new tank then. You'll have to post photo's when completed. :)

I have to decide the denizens for the tank. I am leaning towards a male betta, 4 otos, and cherry shrimp. It will be a dirted, planted tank whatever the wildlife is in it. I got lucky that the hood will take CFL bulbs which will allow me to put strong lights on the setup.

Too bad that the betta I want is $85 (plus shipping) and I will not spend that much on a fish, again.

Hi Gustave,

What are you trying to do? Your post just confuses me a little, that's all! :)

I am trying to get another 5or 10 gallon for my betta and after my guppy fry are bigger I am moving another betta I have back into the planted 5gallon

But temperatures fluctuate quite a bit in a bowl already. Surely adding a heater just exasperates the issue, considering it will be constantly trying to heat adequately.

1-2 gallons is no place for any fish. I don't understand why housing standards are suddenly changing to accommodate bowls. We can keep goldfish in 5 gallon tanks provided we are doing adequate water changes and they don't grow very much- that's just what I am getting from this thread.

Cause Betta's are not goldfish.

Too bad for her.

I have to decide the denizens for the tank. I am leaning towards a male betta, 4 otos, and cherry shrimp. It will be a dirted, planted tank whatever the wildlife is in it. I got lucky that the hood will take CFL bulbs which will allow me to put strong lights on the setup.

Too bad that the betta I want is $85 (plus shipping) and I will not spend that much on a fish, again.

$85.00 for a Betta? You definitely need to post photo's. I bet the tank is going to look great.

I have seen some very expensive lovely bettas. Just like with goldfish. And even dogs. The better the quality the more the cost. I have a neighbor that paid 5000 for her German Shepard. Very nice dog.

Too bad for her.

$85.00 for a Betta? You definitely need to post photo's. I bet the tank is going to look great.

There's a lot of bettas on eBay and Aquabid that are crazy expensive. There's no way I would pay that much for one but they're lovely and very tempting!

$85 white betta

Whitebetta_zpsfcbc63c1.jpg

Cause Betta's are not goldfish.

How does that make a difference? with lots of care we can still maintain a goldfish's water quality in a tiny tank, just like a betta. The temperature fluctuation is still an issue regardless

Edited by Narny105

Too bad for her.

There's a lot of bettas on eBay and Aquabid that are crazy expensive. There's no way I would pay that much for one but they're lovely and very tempting!

Me either. Bettas don't live long enough for that price and the risk of them killing each other during spawning can be fairly high....Now a good looking goldfish, if I had the funds I'd buy one at that price.