Sign in to follow this  
LauraThe3xplora

I want a Python, but...

So I was finally ready to shell out $60 for a Python water changer, and then my dad tells me that the last remaining Python-compatible faucet on the same floor as my tank is going to be replaced by a non-compatible one. I just got a 60gal about a month ago and I can't keep doing water changes with buckets because I can't lift them without hurting myself. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could at least eliminate the lifting-the-buckets above-my-head part? A way to adapt the Python to a sink, a way to siphon water from the bucket on the floor into the tank, etc?

That's strange, because there should be adapters available to make it work.

What new faucet are you getting?

I can post pics if you need. 2 are/will be sprayer-head faucets and the bathroom one is a fancy one where there's no where to screw in an adapter

I probably won't be able to help, but pics should be helpful for others knowledgeable of faucet things. :rofl

Here's the non-sprayer one:

null_zps3ebd22ad.jpg

Thanks anyway, Alex :cry

I can't really afford a $60 python right now, not to mention that I don't even know if it's compatible with my sink.....I have a bucket with wheels in my basement for mopping floors(the ones janitors use) and I took the attachment off for squeezing the mop. It's pretty easy to manuever around because it has wheels. It's not heavy when it's empty so you can probably carry it down the basement when you're done. As for filling the tank, I pre-treat the volume of the whole tank with conditioner and just fill up some milk gallons with tap water and pour it in the tank. I know your sink situation is a bit wonky, but this is a good idea to consider too if you can't get a python: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5d2Qt7fbC8

Hope this helped. :)

I have most of my tanks setup now at the rental house so I can siphon water out of windows or a door. The only other option I know of is having pipes setup to drain an aquarium directly.

It's possible that I could use the hose spigot in my garage (out the window and around the corner), but is hose water safe for fishies? I suppose I could check it first...

As for the flex hose thing, the problem is that I don't have a faucet you can screw anything onto (a hose or an adapter). I'm stumped :(

You could fill the janitorial bucket (wheels are great) with water and use a pond pump to pump it up and over your tank walls into your tank. A friend of mine does this, as he hates lifting buckets of water into his 55G. I believe his pump was ~$20.

If your Dad is redoing the plumbing he could possibly add another faucet attachment under the sink. It would be non-standard, for sure, but he's already messing with the hot and cold water pipes anyway, and he could just add another dohickey for you. Extra plumbing sure would be cheaper than physiotherapy for you.

What you could do is some plumbing work under your sink where your water line is. I got my brother to do it for free :) For example here a pick of mine

005-1_zps4eed2d0f.jpg

004-2_zps5106505e.jpg

I used to use my outside faucet to drain my tank, but not to fill it as the water temp was too different. I think there is an issue in any case with many garden hoses leaching something into the water, unless you get a drinking water-safe one. I used my python. I used the outside faucet as I lived in the brought-stricken southwest, so wanted the water in my garden. For filling, using a rolling bucket is a great idea, I think. You can use a small pump as suggested above to fill the tank with water from your faucet from that. Just make sure no one uses your nice rolling water change bucket to mop the floor--they might be tempted!

I used to siphon out the window (my bushes loved it!) and then put the hose through the window to refill.

Of course, I live in a climate where that is possible because the water isn't too cold.

What you could do is some plumbing work under your sink where your water line is. I got my brother to do it for free :) For example here a pick of mine

005-1_zps4eed2d0f.jpg

This is what I'm talking about, though I would also have add some hot water so the water is not too cold. It really is not too difficult and will solve your problems.

I pump out my window too. Someone - FlipsHere maybe?? - ages water in a barrel and pumps it into his tank.

Thanks for the solutions, guys! I will ask my dad about adding a sigot-thing under the sink. He kind of gets anxiety about water leaks or the possibility of water leaks, so that might not go over so well. But at least I could use a rolly bucket and a pump so I don't have to lift 40lbs of water 15 times every water change. I like the idea of siphoning water back in so that I wouldn't disturb the plants and fish as much as when I have to dump 5 gallons in so quick before my arms give out :rofl

Hoses are fine. It's probably a good idea to let the water run until the water that has been sitting in the hose is out, but the chance of a significant amount of anything leaching into fresh running water is very low, and the chance of that being harmful is even lower.

For removing water, you can either siphon out a window or use a pump with a hose to empty the water outdoors or to a drain. Harbor Freight has nice cheap ~ 250 gph "fountain pumps" that work very well.

Well the sigot under the sink is out :cry but I think the rolling bucket and pump will work! My mom's lilies have bloomed like crazy from dumping fish water on them, so maybe I can keep doing that, or siphon it into the sink or out the window :)