Sign in to follow this  
Phillyn17

Please help! My Oranda is growing a second head...

Hi guys....hope you are all well today.....

Did my routine water change yesterday, and everything in the tank seemed fine....I attached an image of the tank, as it was at 6.40 PM last night.

SAM_0202_zpsf292a437.jpg

The fish in question looked like this yesterday morning. You can just make out a slight bump on her head, but I didn't notice at the time....

SAM_0196_zpsb9f38a6b.jpg

This morning i woke and fed the little guys as normal, and noticed that the "growth" had become larger...

SAM_0236_zps6396f0f0.jpg

This may be a better view/angle.....

SAM_0239_zpsb6918ad0.jpg

What do you think my friends? I would welcome any suggestions or diagnosis theories.

Lyn and I are off out for Sunday lunch...but I'll respond and carry out any suggested treatments when we return later this afternoon

Thanks in anticipation of your valued help/solutions to my problem......she is my favourite fish (I now we shouldn't have favourites but Hey-Ho!!)

Edited by Phillyn17

hi phil,

i think this might just be a pimple.. they're not uncommon and can pop up anywhere on a fish, i would monitor it over the next few days. once that white centre pops out, there may be a spot of blood, a little bit of salt in the tank will clear it up in no time.

however, if within the next 24 hours or few days, there are no improvements OR the situation is worsening, ie, the site is becoming angry etc, please post back immediately :)

Hi Helen.....thanks for your prompt response. How are you today? :hi

Yes, I didn't wish to be too graphic, but I would compare it to a human white spot (Something that we would just squeeze out....sorry, too much information!! LOL!!)

Thank-you, you've definitely put my mind at rest.... she's swimming around without a care, and the other guys are not giving the normal extra attention when one of their own is sick.

I'll monitor as you suggested....fingers crossed eh? :bye2:

Oh....and I'll add the salt ASAP!!

Edited by Phillyn17

:hug

My ranchu had one of these once. I hope he feels better soon. :heart

i am well, thank you for asking. hope you're ok too..

i wouldn't be adding the salt right now, only once the pimple bursts. then you may want to do a 25% wc and add the salt at that moment. prior to the pimple bursting, there is no need for salt. ok?

i am well, thank you for asking. hope you're ok too..

i wouldn't be adding the salt right now, only once the pimple bursts. then you may want to do a 25% wc and add the salt at that moment. prior to the pimple bursting, there is no need for salt. ok?

Sweet!!!

OK Helen...I'll do as you've instructed.

Thanks..... :thumbup2:

Is that some sort of parasite? Those a re usually distinguesed by a small fuzzy bump on the head, or betwewn the eyes, check the jardness of your tap water.

Hoping for a quick recovery Phil! Let's hope it's nothing to worry about!

Hope your lunch was yummy! :)

Is that some sort of parasite? Those a re usually distinguesed by a small fuzzy bump on the head, or betwewn the eyes, check the jardness of your tap water.

Like Helen said, it's probably a pimple. :)

I hope that it heals up quickly for you, Phil!

Edited by ChelseaM

A second head!?! Good granny Phil! I was almost afraid to look. :rofl I hope your fishy gets better super fast.

Hi Katie....how are you my young friend? :hi

Thanks for your suggestion regarding water hardness....my tap water is quite consistent, and always returns a good 7.6 pH normally....Wales normally supplies brilliant water quality.

But just to double check, I took your advice and tested the current condition.

I obtained 7.6 pH from the test...image below.

SAM_0244_zps6fe928a0.jpg

I'll do some research on the parasite theory you have...watch this space!! :thumb:

Thanks for your help on this!!

Oh...BTW.....

What about an avatar for your profile? Something nice and bright eh?

Edited by Phillyn17

Hoping for a quick recovery Phil! Let's hope it's nothing to worry about!

Hope your lunch was yummy! :)

Thanks Becster!!!

It certainly is not getting any worse tonight.......the patient is happily swimming about, it doesn't seem to be worrying her, or the other guys.

Lunch was absolutely beautiful thanks....went on the sunbed up the garden to aid its' digestion. Washed down by an ice cold Guinness!! :lol

Like Helen said, it's probably a pimple. :)

I hope that it heals up quickly for you, Phil!

Thanks Chelsea.....we have everything crossed at the moment!! :scared

A second head!?! Good granny Phil! I was almost afraid to look. :rofl I hope your fishy gets better super fast.

Cheers Smegster!!! Sorry if my heading frightened you....LOL!! :SmackBottom:

Sounds like the perfect sunday phil! We've had a beautiful sunny day here too! ;)

:hug

My ranchu had one of these once. I hope he feels better soon. :heart

Cheers Tammy.... :thumb:

Sounds like the perfect sunday phil! We've had a beautiful sunny day here too! ;)

It's been a beautiful day Becs......Lyn and I took my mother with us for lunch....she's 92 years of age (And touching wood, fitter than me!!). :krazy:

How's Steve? Has he got over the disappointment of just missing promotion yet?

Edited by Phillyn17

:) Well he already has his season ticket for next season! :rolleyes: He is hopeful that they get a decent new manager. Again! :rolleyes:

92 and fitter than you? Is your mum a Guinness drinker? My grandad turns 102 next week! He was living independently up until a couple of weeks ago when he decided he wanted to go in to a residential home.

:) Well he already has his season ticket for next season! :rolleyes: He is hopeful that they get a decent new manager. Again! :rolleyes:

92 and fitter than you? Is your mum a Guinness drinker? My grandad turns 102 next week! He was living independently up until a couple of weeks ago when he decided he wanted to go in to a residential home.

102!!! That's brilliant, good for him!!! :hi5

Mum enjoys the odd Irish Cream.....must be doing some good eh? :thumb:

Good luck to United with their Manager search......

Well what ever she is doing, it must be working! :)

Thanks Phil, i'll pass on your well wishes to Steve! He does appreciate it. :)

I was expecting the title to be literal. :rofl2

Your oranda will definitely be okay. :)

I was expecting the title to be literal. :rofl2

Your oranda will definitely be okay. :)

Thanks Cat......sorry if the title was misleading!! :I-Thank-You:

Awww- maybe your little cutie needs to lay off the junk food, and do they make goldfish Clearasil???? :lol

Seriously, I hope your fish feels better soon. :hug

It's alright, I'm glad it wasn't literal! I think everyone would have been very confused and worried. :P

Awww- maybe your little cutie needs to lay off the junk food, and do they make goldfish Clearasil???? :lol

Thank's Jamie.....how are you feeling today following your recent sad loss? :(

Thank's Jamie.....how are you feeling today following your recent sad loss? :(

Aww- ty... I am doing well. :)

Your title made me click on your thread so quick. I wasn't sure what I was going to see. :) I'm glad it wasn't a much worse image. He/she is so darn pretty. Your tank is also. You mentioned having fav's of fish. I think a lot of us do and we hate to admit it. ha ha But, I must admit...I really love my two big Oranda's and C. Pearlscale. They are just so darn cute. :) But I do adore and love my others also.