Nematodes (or something?) in an empty tank

About a week ago I started noticing little wormy guys swimming around the water. Didn't care much about them, and figured they were nematodes that found their way into my tank one way or another.

What I didn't put together was all this gunk at the bottom (maybe poo or larvae or whatever they are when they're young?) might be related and making the problem worse.

Now it's just kind of crazy in there. There's all this gunk attached to and collected under the rocks, and what looks to me like a LOT of them swimming around. I don't know what to do. I know that if they're nematodes they're pretty harmless and will just be eaten up by the fish. But can they be harmful in great numbers? Judging by the video, is this an abnormal amount to be in the tank? Other than a WC (wonderful timing for me to have broken the seal on my siphon pump thingy! wanted to do one anyway though) is there anything I can do to reduce what's in there?

If this is useful in any way, here are my tank and tap parameters:

Tank: Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate: 20

pH - 7.6

Tap: Ammonia - .25 - .5

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

pH - 7.6

20130525_103457.jpg

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/jenzaar/media/20130525_103529.mp4.html

The video quality is pretty bad but I think you can get an idea of what's going on in there.

Let me know if you need any other info or videos. I am really hesitant to get any fish in there until I know that it's okay. They may even be the solution! But I want to check with you guys first :)

Ew. :hide: Other people have had those and they seem to be harmless and eaten by fish.

I wonder if the prazi will kill them when you begin QTing your fish? If so, there really should be not issue adding a fish to the tank.

Ooo I hadn't thought of Prazi taking care of them for me! My bottle came in a few days ago so I can get started with it ASAP.

I had a ton of those when I first started my fishless cycling! They're really gross! did a few water changes and started a prazi treatment and they all died off (as far as I could tell).

Good luck with the nasties!

Oh! Thankyou!! This happened right at the end of fishless cycling.

Did you notice stuff piling up at the bottom of the tank like that? That's what bugs me the most, I think :idont

Oh yeah! At first I wasn't sure if it was dust or something pilling up at the bottom, but then I started noticing those things appearing in droves! It was nasty lol! I just scraped up what I could and vacuumed as much as I could with my siphon. Between that and the Prazi, they weren't so much of an issue. I haven't seen anymore since I added the fish thankfully

Can I?? I'm so confused! HAhahaa aaaahhh!! :krazy:

I'm driving my husband nuts today!

Anastasiam, how long did you Prazi before you saw they were gone? And you added fish to the tank while they were still there, right?

:) I like you. You just made this really simple.

It is settled.

Edited by jenzaar

Rofl yup! Fish food sounds good! But yes, I did a week of Prazi, but I had added the fish during the treatment and they've been fine :D

Oh, good if anastasiam had them, I"m still hoping they didn't come from my tank. :rofl

Now go get some fish!! :nana

I doubt it! From what I've seen in pictures you keep your tank really clean!

Ooo I hadn't thought of Prazi taking care of them for me! My bottle came in a few days ago so I can get started with it ASAP.

Prazi won't do much to them as a population, nor fenbendazole, unfortunately.

Prazi won't do much to them as a population, nor fenbendazole, unfortunately.

Oh wow! I guess mine just got nommed then :feedme:rofl

Huh! Very interesting stuff.

Well I am finally about to do my wc now, then we are off to the store! :D