Sign in to follow this  
Flipper

Canister filter? Y/N Which one?

I am getting ready to set up my old 55 gal to consolidate 2 tanks. (My dad drove is 800 miles across country for me). I was going to use AquaClear 70 with cultured media, but I know I need another filter. My dilemma is... Should I get a canister filter and if so which one or should I just get another HOB? :idont I like the idea of it being out of sight. The extra work cleaning out does not bother me. I want to do the right thing for the fish.

#2 issue= One of my ranchus really does not like current and I need to baffle the AquaClear. What would be the best and safest way to do this? I have heart of the plastic bottle way, but am worried about sharp edges. Also if I put filter floss or sponge in the water fall area, how do I secure it?

Sorry for the wordiness of this post, but would really appreciate any and all suggestions! :)

I love my Fluval canister and it actually isn't too much more work :) I actually prefer cleaning it over my HOB just because it is bigger and beefier and I don't feel like I'm going to break something!

It's totally your choice as to whether you want to go canister or HOB. Because I built my own canister, I can only recommend brands that other people say work: Eheim or Fluval.

When baffling a HOB, you can use filter floss or sponges. I have found that rubber bands do just fine at holding the baffle on.

That was wonderful of your dad to bring you your tank.

Edited by ChelseaM

I love my Fluval canister and it actually isn't too much more work :) I actually prefer cleaning it over my HOB just because it is bigger and beefier and I don't feel like I'm going to break something!

Thanks so much. I appreciate your input.

It's totally your choice as to whether you want to go canister or HOB. Because I built my own canister, I can only recommend brands that other people say work: Eheim or Fluval.

When baffling a HOB, you can use filter floss or sponges. I have found that rubber bands do just fine at holding the baffle on.

Built your own canister (WOW)! That is serious smartness and handiness.

I can handle rubber bands. I don't know why I didn't think of that, duh.

Yeah, my dad just retired and was coming to help us put up a glass back splash and I convinced him to bring the tank too. It was super nice of him! The back splash ROCKS!

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Flipper

Built your own canister (WOW)! That is serious smartness and handiness.

I can handle rubber bands. I don't know why I didn't think of that, duh.

Yeah, my dad just retired and was coming to help us put up a glass back splash and I convinced him to bring the tank too. It was super nice of him! The back splash ROCKS!

Thanks for your help.

I can't take credit for the idea, as I just looked on Uarujoey's YouTube page and used his idea. I only modified it to be horizontal so I could hide it a bit better. :teehee

Good luck with the setup!

I have both the Eheim and the Fluval, and to be honest, I like them both equally. Both are very well built, and extremely easy to operate. :)

All I can say is I absolutely love my Fluval fx5...but unless you don't mind huge black hoses, don't buy it. I have had nothing but problem trying to replace the black hoses with clear and lost my beloved chu because of my negligence. I am about to try plan D on replacing them again. Clear vinyl hose is very heavy and gets pinched up due to its weight, almost totally stopping the water flow. It's a great canister very plug and play, though you will have to purchase a spray bar separately.

I have both the Eheim and the Fluval, and to be honest, I like them both equally. Both are very well built, and extremely easy to operate. :)

OK alex. Thanks. Do you think the newer Eheim ecco are still well built? I was at a lfs today and the crabby guy said the ecco sucks. He was trying to sell me an Eheim profession II. This is for a 55g. Do you think the Fluval fx5 (the ones with the screws all the way around is too much filter for a tank this size? A saw a review elsewhere that said they bubble really bad if on a tank that is overly small for the filter?

Sorry for rambling :teehee

All I can say is I absolutely love my Fluval fx5...but unless you don't mind huge black hoses, don't buy it. I have had nothing but problem trying to replace the black hoses with clear and lost my beloved chu because of my negligence. I am about to try plan D on replacing them again. Clear vinyl hose is very heavy and gets pinched up due to its weight, almost totally stopping the water flow. It's a great canister very plug and play, though you will have to purchase a spray bar separately.

Good to know. Thanks. I don't care very much about the color of the hoses. I some are black and some are green. I just want my fish to be healthy and happy and I don't really want to spend $600

What size tank do you have the fx5 on? Do you find it bubbles a lot?

Thanks again

If you ask me, I would say your tank would work great with an AC110/70 and a Fluval 306/406. :)

If you ask me, I would say your tank would work great with an AC110/70 and a Fluval 306/406. :)

I am definitely asking! Thanks Alex! I already have the AC 70. I'll work on the Fluval!

I'm filling the 55g as we speak. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some canister filter choices:

- Rena Filstar ( never had one , get sgood reviews online).

- Magnum . Classic canister filter. Maybe they've changed the design by now. I had this one as the main filter for my 150 gal for many years. Tinkering with it right now to use it for my goldfish.

- Eheim. Using these for my clown plecos. Good reviews, having good success with them so far. Eheim brand often rates highly.

- Fluval. Mixed reviews on this one. I have the biggest Fluval canisters FX5 for my 150 gal right now. Very popular filter for larger aquariums/.

Good to know. Thanks. I don't care very much about the color of the hoses. I some are black and some are green. I just want my fish to be healthy and happy and I don't really want to spend $600

What size tank do you have the fx5 on? Do you find it bubbles a lot?

Thanks again

I have it on a 75 gallon tank. With the spray bar pointed at the wall, the flow isn't to much. You can easily use decor to give them a quiet corner to rest in. Bubbles...nope no bubbles, unless it's doing it daily scare the crap out of me purging thing. Idk if bubbles is due to not cleaning your filter or something. I'm kinda ocd on cleaning it out every 2 weeks. I think most people clean out there canisters every 4 weeks. Oh that reminds me, the one thing I absolutely love is the drain spigot at the bottom of it, that you can attach a small hose to. I couldn't budge this sucker without draining it. I poked around on ebay and got mine with 2 big boxes of ceramic media for 289. I just threw some seeded media in there and a bunch of filter padding on top and I was ready to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluval-FX5-Canister-Filter-Biomax-Prefilter-Included-Ships-within-24-Hrs-M-F-/360421680819?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item53eace66b3

Some canister filter choices:

- Rena Filstar ( never had one , get sgood reviews online).

- Magnum . Classic canister filter. Maybe they've changed the design by now. I had this one as the main filter for my 150 gal for many years. Tinkering with it right now to use it for my goldfish.

- Eheim. Using these for my clown plecos. Good reviews, having good success with them so far. Eheim brand often rates highly.

- Fluval. Mixed reviews on this one. I have the biggest Fluval canisters FX5 for my 150 gal right now. Very popular filter for larger aquariums/.

Thanks for the reviews. Appreciate it. :thumb:

Eheim is pretty good and spare parts easy to find.

I also use rena for internal filters in Betta tanks. No troubles.

JBL makes also good products.

BTw, there is also a Fluval FX6 model out now.

Edited by Au-fish

Ive got fluval and eheim canister filters.

To me eheim hands down.

Build quality etc is better and the media seems alot better too.

There is a rule that says: Filter must treat 10 times the tank volume per hour.

BUT, is this rule applyable to H.O.B filters only or is it legit for canister too?

In a global evaluation of filter efficiency, what is the most important: filtration surface area or water volume treated per hour?

Edited by King Poseidon

I'd love to see threads like this pinned or stickies or marked (not sure what to call it exactly)! I am always searching for the most highly reviewed equipment and I love reading through these equipment debates! I find myself trolling the forum constantly for threads like this! And it'd be a super time saver! I know there's a spot for equipment reviews but they're typically specific products only...