PH Changes?

So my PH out of the tap and my aquarium has been 7.5 since forever... But lately for some reason the PH in my aquarium has been 8.2 while the tap has been normal. Nothing substantial has changed other then a temperature change for summer (71 to 77 lately. New Mexico gets HOT), and a few plants in Laterite substrate. Am I doing something wrong? Is my water too basic for my poor fishies??

My moor is sick right now, so I'm hoping this PH issue doesn't have anything to do with it :(

Thanks guys!

Alright if I could grab a bit more info out of you:

Retest for me please,

pH (tap)

pH (tank)

GH & KH (tap)

GH & KH (tank)

Do you use baking soda, crushed coral, or a buffer on your tank?

Do you have a bubbler?

How big is your tank?

Ok so I just tested the ph's again:

Tap: 7.4

Tank: about 8.2

I have a bit of trouble reading these sometimes, so I'll post a pic:

20130524_204918_zpscd833c5f.jpg

20130524_204616_zpsdd72b7dd.jpg

I (like an idiot) don't have a GH & KH test kit. I just ordered one from Tasty Worms tonight. I know its probably not much help, but I live out in the middle of the desert...

I don't use a buffer since I haven't had issues until recently

I have two bubble stones that run the length of the bottom of the tank. I also have an EHIEM filter that turns a lot of water at the surface.

My tank size is 55 gallons

It actually doesn't look that bad. How are the fish?

I'll be curious to know what your kH and gH are. While waiting for the kit, call the water utility and ask them. :)

I just opened a thread on the D&D section about my sick moor, but the other two seem alight for the most part. Klaus will speed up and hit the water surface every once in awhile, but Idk if that could be considered 'jumping.' Other than Dexy, the other two are alright. Am I ok to do big water changes?

Fins crossed that the test kit will be here soon! In the mean time, I'll call them tomorrow. I'd do it now, but they're probably closed :(

I have the exact same readings and colours, and it's a fairly recent problem. I've never fully understood why it happens either

I consider the high pH test to be virtually unreadable, but I would interpret those as 7.8 (definitely not 7.4) and 8.0/8.2. In any case, it's not a problem. My pH goes up in the tank/pond, but the change is gradual and the difference is not enough to be a problem for water changes.

I just tried the water company for a GH/KH reading, and their closed until tuesday :(. I'll get it first thing though!

I consider the high pH test to be virtually unreadable, but I would interpret those as 7.8 (definitely not 7.4) and 8.0/8.2. In any case, it's not a problem. My pH goes up in the tank/pond, but the change is gradual and the difference is not enough to be a problem for water changes.

Sorry, I have such a hard time reading some of these tests... They all look the same color to me :wall . So do you think the 90% water changes are ok to do?

I have the exact same readings and colours, and it's a fairly recent problem. I've never fully understood why it happens either

Ugh, I know! It's really frustrating!

Why do you want to 90% water changes? These have always baffled me. If your water is so bad that you need to change 90% of it, (like in a hospital tank), the 10% on the bottom is going to be the dirtiest in the tank. So why not do 100%? If you don't want to shock the fish by changing too much water, do 50% or less.

Why do you want to 90% water changes? These have always baffled me. If your water is so bad that you need to change 90% of it, (like in a hospital tank), the 10% on the bottom is going to be the dirtiest in the tank. So why not do 100%? If you don't want to shock the fish by changing too much water, do 50% or less.

Shakaho,

The 90% WC is just really a big volume that does not require removal of fish. If someone wants to remove their fish.

As for the bottom 10% being the dirtiest, why would that be in a bare bottom tank?

Crud settles, organisms settle. I can siphon out 90% of the water from a tank and it looks clear. Then I get that last little bit and it's dirty. If I put in some more water and rinse the bottom with that, the water also comes out dirty. Just observation.

I think it is definitely true, Sharon. I try to siphon the bottom but there is still a bunch of stuff that settles there. That said, I'm not sure I do large water changes to get rid of what I can see.

Crud settles, organisms settle. I can siphon out 90% of the water from a tank and it looks clear. Then I get that last little bit and it's dirty. If I put in some more water and rinse the bottom with that, the water also comes out dirty. Just observation.

I don't disagree with this.

What I just wanted to make sure to come across earlier, but did not quite manage is that we do big volume water changes not because we are trying get the last of the dirty water out, but rather to remove as much nitrates and other undesirables as possible without actually removing the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried calling the Water company for about a week, twice a day. They didn't answer! Not once!

However, did I finally get in my GH/KH tester.

KH read (7 drops) 125.3 ppm

GH I couldn't really figure out... It took 3 drops to turn green. Which is 50 (or something to that effect?)

So... I have no idea what any of that means :doh11::rofl

You have moderately high alkalinity kH, and relatively soft water. Those are relatively good numbers. However, I'd like to compare your results to the city's, if possible. :)

Ok I'll try that! Where do you find said reports? I looked online but couldn't find it on their website :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2