Sign in to follow this  
Sofia

Suffering Fish

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and need help with my fish who is not doing well, hopefully some of you will have some tips to help.

I have copied the information table below, hopefully this is right, I still need to test for some of the info as I've only just been reunited with Mr Bojangles, my unwell fishy.

I had to go abroad for work for 6 months and had to leave my 5 year old black moor with a friend. While I was away he developed swimbladder and can't stay upright. He stays on the bottom of the tank which has caused his side to 'rot'. I feel so bad for him and hope he's not been suffering too much. Any help is much appreciated, I can give more info if needed, just ask.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(tank) - 0
    • * Nitrite Level(tank) - 0.5
    • * Nitrate level(tank) - 0
    • * Ammonia Level(tap) - need to test
    • * Nitrite Level(tap) - need to test

* Nitrate level(tap) - need to test

• * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)- 6.5
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - need to test
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops by Nutrafin
      • * Water temperature? 20C
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 300L running for 10 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? All Pond Solutions 2000EF, 40L I think
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 2 weeks, 30%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 30% 6 days ago
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? one black moor, 5 inches long (not including tail)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API conditioner, Bicarbonate of soda to buffer pH
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, tetra pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - I have used salt and Maracyn and Maracyn two. He is 5 years old so had quite a few treatments over the time.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? -

BuhKJRP.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Test your tap levels, you have nitrites which isn't good for sick fish.

For right now you can float your fish periodically in a colander. This will get it off the bottom.

I hope to hear from you soon, your fish is just darling. :heart

Gosh, poor thing.

Could you please test the tap parameters as well?

Is he able to swim at all, or has he lost the ability to stay buoyant?

Poor adorable thing. Good luck, you have some very experienced people here that can assist you.

Good luck with you cute guy. I hope he gets better:wub:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the replies.

I have tested the tap water, pH- 6.5, Ammonia- 0, Nitrite- 0.1, Nitrate- 0.

Just doing a big water change now, 80%, and will add some bicarbonate of soda to raise the pH in the tank. I read that lowering the water level may help relieve pressure on the swimbladder? Is there anything that I could use to help heal the sore's/ fungus on his side? It's only on the side that he lies on.

He can still swim but only on his side and does laps of his tank. It seems to tire him out with the effort of trying to right himself though. I've been trying to hand feed him.

Actually, for now, I don't want you to add bicarbonate of soda, or anything. I am not so enamored with a pH of 6.5, but if it's stable, I would rather just not mess with it. Could you call your water utility and ask them what the water alkalinity and general hardness values are, please?

You could start raising the salt to 0.3%. There are two articles in my signature on salt. :)